Focus (Frankenstein/Bladerunner) (1 Viewer)

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
We've been told to read Frankentstein and watch Bladerunner over the summer holidays;
What points/ideas/issues/themes (apart from the 4 contexts) should i be making notes on while I read it?

Thanks in advance,

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Read over your syllabus and annotate it. Look at the verbs, and gain your own understanding of what it's asking you (you can grab a copy off the Board of Studies website).

Pretty much, in this module you don't just look at context, but how changes in context affect the types of ideas explored, and they ways they are expressed/viewed.

Changes in bias or the way certain things are valued are dependent on perspective/context. This idea is central to the module.

There are a lot of notes and threads on the ideas within the film - I would recommend watching the film and reading the book, and first coming up with your own ideas. Only then would I look at other people's ideas.

Originality of thought is always a plus, so try to come up with your own ideas and you'll stand out above the rest =)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Remember the theme of this elective is Texts In Time - you're trying to focus on how despite disparate contexts between the two texts, the same ideas and notions are raised throughout both texts. Look for similar ideas - such as how there's a megalonomaniac in both, who is driven by Promethean hubris. Also look for ideas such as science vs humanity, and how the 'creatures' end up being more 'human' than the humans themselves; 'more human than human'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)