Foodtech for HSC? (1 Viewer)

fayeee

HSC
it's still possible for me to get a relatively good mark (above 95) if I do [really] well in foodtech + my other subjects right?

adv eng, 3math, bio, pdhpe & foodtech.

i honestly don't understand this scaling business :/

but i did hear that taking a subject shouldn't affect your mark if you do well in it.

right?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
For most subjects, if you do well, scaling doesn't affect you much. However this is not true for food tech. Even a very good mark in food tech gets scaled down atrociously.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
For most subjects, if you do well, scaling doesn't affect you much. However this is not true for food tech. Even a very good mark in food tech gets scaled down atrociously.
That is quite a true statement. The scaling of Food Technology is very low. Top in the state = 91 scaled mark. I find this very unfair and unjust even though it is to make the system fair for everyone. The scaling system just sways my opinions in regards to subject choice.

EDIT: If you wish to get 95+, you won't really like what you get in Food Technology unless you are really good (like top 20 or 30 in the state).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
OMG. would it affect my whole UAI ..?

:|

wow. super worried now. :/
If you drop Chemistry and continue with 11 Units, that means that at least one Unit of Food Technology will count (if Food Technology is your worst subject out of 11 Units).

Having Food Technology as your worst subject and count 1 Unit of it won't affect your UAI to great extent but it will have some influence over it. Unfortunately, even Band 6 in Food Technology won't be of great UAI benefit as it will be pulled down. I suggest that you see how you go this year. If you perform well in it, continue with that. But if you are only decent and get average, you shouldn't keep it.

By the way, you may consider Mathematics Extension 2. It has got the highest scaling and it will be of great benefit if you are good at maths.

But scaling is the last thing to consider.

fayeee

HSC
I'm equal first in the class for it, but there's only 3 people intending to do it for HSC, LOL.

Really confused now :/ I hoped it wouldn't affect it that much but it really sounds like it will.

I won't keep chemistry, cause just, .... no, haha.

Argh, abit stressed and bummed .. might actually take up 4U next year then .. i'm decent at maths i guess, just not the 99% in EVERY test person .. yet? LOLS who knows.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
I'm equal first in the class for it, but there's only 3 people intending to do it for HSC, LOL.

Really confused now :/ I hoped it wouldn't affect it that much but it really sounds like it will.

I won't keep chemistry, cause just, .... no, haha.

Argh, abit stressed and bummed .. might actually take up 4U next year then .. i'm decent at maths i guess, just not the 99% in EVERY test person .. yet? LOLS who knows.
You don't need to get 90% in maths to do Mathematics Extension 2. It's all about putting effort. If you have passion for it, why not? I am not good at maths but I do have passion for it and that's probably the reason why I am going to do it.

Make a wise decision. I hope you don't make a stupid subject decision that I made this year. :D

fayeee

HSC
Make a wise decision. I hope you don't make a stupid subject decision that I made this year. :D
lol, what was ur stupid subject decision?

mine was definitely chemistry.

but i'm also regretting foodtech now :/ gah. it's one of my best subjects but what's the point if you put in all this effort for it to equate to a relatively low mark in hsc?

beve

Jesus
HSC
fayeee said:
lol, what was ur stupid subject decision?

mine was definitely chemistry.

but i'm also regretting foodtech now :/ gah. it's one of my best subjects but what's the point if you put in all this effort for it to equate to a relatively low mark in hsc?
although you might not like chemistry; if you're doing ok in it, its a much better choice than food tech...

huhwotsthis

HSC
Yeah definitely. I remember a friend of mine did it and got a uai of 97.
Of course, you gotta do well, like 85-high 90's at least

fayeee

HSC
beve said:
although you might not like chemistry; if you're doing ok in it, its a much better choice than food tech...

lol 39% for half yrly :/
the highest was low 80s with HEAPS of people getting below 50 ..

why the feck did i do chem

GUH. i really wanted to do foodtech... [and still get a good uai]

fayeee

HSC
huhwotsthis said:
Yeah definitely. I remember a friend of mine did it and got a uai of 97.
Of course, you gotta do well, like 85-high 90's at least
YES! i need more people like you telling me things like that, haha

fayeee

HSC
huhwotsthis said:
How are you going in extension mathetics?
averageish.. but that's with not that much effort.. i could get better if i studied harder.. i think..

huhwotsthis

HSC
itd probly be better if u dropped chem, kept food tech and the 3 units of maths.
with study im sure you can achieve a uai of above 95.
food tech doesnt scale THAT badly, not like said earlier. i know someone who got 95 in it.

fayeee

HSC
huhwotsthis said:
itd probly be better if u dropped chem, kept food tech and the 3 units of maths.
with study im sure you can achieve a uai of above 95.
food tech doesnt scale THAT badly, not like said earlier. i know someone who got 95 in it.
ahh as long as it IS possible to achieve a high mark with foodtech, i'll stop stressing..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)