• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Foodtech for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you wanna do it, do it, if you don't wanna, don't.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
huhwotsthis said:
itd probly be better if u dropped chem, kept food tech and the 3 units of maths.
with study im sure you can achieve a uai of above 95.
food tech doesnt scale THAT badly, not like said earlier. i know someone who got 95 in it.
Yeah. It is possible to get 95 "aligned mark" which lead to about 82 scaled mark. It is "scaled mark" that is counted as your total aggregate to produce your UAI, not your aligned mark.

To the OP: Don't worry about scaling shit as long as you like it and if you are good at it. No point in dropping it if you are good at it.

fayeee

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah. It is possible to get 95 "aligned mark" which lead to about 82 scaled mark. It is "scaled mark" that is counted as your total aggregate to produce your UAI, not your aligned mark.

To the OP: Don't worry about scaling shit as long as you like it and if you are
good at it. No point in dropping it if you are good at it.
i hate scaling .

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
i hate scaling .
Don't worry about it. Just follow you heart and all you need to know is that
"Try your best, if you get really good marks, scaling won't affect you much". I learnt this in a hard way.

fayeee

HSC
lyounamu said:
Don't worry about it. Just follow you heart and all you need to know is that
"Try your best, if you get really good marks, scaling won't affect you much". I learnt this in a hard way.
haha, i hope so...

seems so stupid to try REALLY hard in a subject, just to get a mediocre scaled mark though right?

i know, i know, it's not ALL about scaling... but like, in the end, it is.. :/

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
haha, i hope so...

seems so stupid to try REALLY hard in a subject, just to get a mediocre scaled mark though right?

i know, i know, it's not ALL about scaling... but like, in the end, it is.. :/
True. But scaling system is one of the effort by the BOS to make the HSC fair for everyone.

HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
it's still possible for me to get a relatively good mark (above 95) if I do [really] well in foodtech + my other subjects right?

adv eng, 3math, bio, pdhpe & foodtech.

i honestly don't understand this scaling business :/

but i did hear that taking a subject shouldn't affect your mark if you do well in it.

right?
Haven't really read through the other posts in the thread so there might be some repetition. Anyway, food tech is capped (at something around the 92-94 mark as far as I know), and it does scale down.

HOWEVER this does not mean that you can't get a UAI above 95, especially if you do really well in your other subjects. A friend of mine does food tech with only 10 units, and her 90s mark in food tech was scaled down to mid 80s, but it still had to count - she managed to get an estimated UAI from school of above 99.

You just have to make sure that your food tech mark remains fairly high so I would be aiming for high 80s-90s to make sure that food tech doesn't scale down horribly. In the end it's not about scaling if you have solid raw marks - try not to get caught up in the whole system of scaling and just do your best.

:)

fayeee

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
Haven't really read through the other posts in the thread so there might be some repetition. Anyway, food tech is capped (at something around the 92-94 mark as far as I know), and it does scale down.

HOWEVER this does not mean that you can't get a UAI above 95, especially if you do really well in your other subjects. A friend of mine does food tech with only 10 units, and her 90s mark in food tech was scaled down to mid 80s, but it still had to count - she managed to get an estimated UAI from school of above 99.

You just have to make sure that your food tech mark remains fairly high so I would be aiming for high 80s-90s to make sure that food tech doesn't scale down horribly. In the end it's not about scaling if you have solid raw marks - try not to get caught up in the whole system of scaling and just do your best.

:)
*smiles*

YAYAY. okay. i'll just keep reading that and stop stressing LOL

thanks <3

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
humglish said:
You said you didn't want to do chemistry. But why don't you do senoir science next year instead? Your year 11 chemistry will count as the preliminary section of the course, so you won't be behind.

Yes the scaling of senoir science isn't great, but it's better than food tech.
No. The scaling of Senior Science is NOWHERE near. The top scaled mark you get from this course is like 42/50 = 84/100. That's the TOP MARK in the state.

huhwotsthis

HSC
lyounamu said:

To the OP: Don't worry about scaling shit as long as you like it and if you are good at it. No point in dropping it if you are good at it.

yer if the aligned mark is the one u receive at the end

huhwotsthis

HSC
lyounamu do u even kno wot ur talking about.
if u receive 95 in senior science in your hsc, how would that have been scaled down? from like 99 maybe?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Hi :)

The HSC was a looooong time ago.. so i cannot remember how that scaling works etc... but i did food tech and got 96, and my uai was 92.. (and thats with my adv maths and 3U not counting)

I know it changes every year, but dont stress too much, it can be done :)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Wow I only just found out that Senior Science is lower scaling than Food tech xD

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
huhwotsthis said:
lyounamu do u even kno wot ur talking about.
if u receive 95 in senior science in your hsc, how would that have been scaled down? from like 99 maybe?
Yes I do know what I am talking about. And yes, you can trust the reliability of my source as I got it from UAC website itself. And why don't you specify your source?

The Senior Science's scaling is abysmal. The top in the state for Senior Science last year was 99. HOWEVER, that is an aligned mark which is converted into what's called SCALED MARK. This aligned mark (99, top in the state) was converted back into the scaled mark of 44/50.

We only use scaled marks when we calculate UAI.

You are the one who is absolutely confused. Get some lessons from fellow members and come back for argument.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
humglish said:
Sorry. You've lost me.

food tech is 42/50, or do you mean senoir science is 42/50. And aren't they both 2U courses? Why do you have them as only 1U?
I haven't lost you. YOU misinterpreted my post. I had them as 1 Unit because when you calculate UAI, the UAC divides all your units into 1 Unit components. And that's why they are like that.

Food Technology was not 42/50. It was 45.7/50 for the top person in the state. (That's a scaled mark). And the top mark for Senior Science was 43.8/50 last year (another scaled mark, that is).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
humglish said:
Really?

Then food tech can't scale too bad.
Are you implying that Senior Science scales high? Because as far as I know, SS has one of the worst scaling. However, as I said earlier, scaling should be the last factor to be considered when it comes to subject choice. Because you would be better off with subject that you are good at and like than having a subject that you hate and are pathetic at.

huhwotsthis

HSC
isnt the mark you receive RIGHT at the end scaled?
like.
if so, you're saying you cant get a band 6 in senior science

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
huhwotsthis said:
isnt the mark you receive RIGHT at the end scaled?
like.
if so, you're saying you cant get a band 6 in senior science
Band 6 = ALIGNED MARK OF 90 OR OVER

Yes you can get Band 6 for Senior Science. However, the SCALED MARK will be low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)