Formal Thread (pics, websites, ideas, thoughts) (1 Viewer)

hairspray

HSC
just a quick question:

Do guys actually know what a corsage is? I'm not implying that you guys are dumb or anything, but i told the guys from my school that they had to get corsages for their dates for the formal and none of them knew what a corsage was =O

CieL

HSC
hairspray said:
just a quick question:

Do guys actually know what a corsage is? I'm not implying that you guys are dumb or anything, but i told the guys from my school that they had to get corsages for their dates for the formal and none of them knew what a corsage was =O
Uh I think that's because it's more a US thing..
I don't think I've heard of any school formals in Aust which require you to wear a corsage.. and I wouldn't know what it was either if I hadn't watched all those chick flicks..

Boxes

Banned
HSC
would i look like a dickhead if i turned up to the formal in a singlet?

girloflowers

HSC
here's my.. rather unusual... formal dress:

apologies for camera glare!

and the shoes i want (yes, i can walk in up to 6 and a half inch heels. these are only 5 and a bit. also yes i can dance in them.)

I'll be wearing clip in hair extensions in a style liiiike this:
except for clipped back in the middle with a tiara, and i ahve brown hair not red.

excited!
oh and girls, just a tip, unless you want to end up looing like a ganguro, DO NOT GO TO NAPOLEON PERDIS FOR YOUR MAKEUP. Just don't. Don't do that to yourself.
MAC and clinique are good. Napoleon is not. I dunno about inglot, never been there.
Better yet, save your money for alcohol and do your makeup yourself- MAC is going to cost you $95+ ( i shit you not)

where's a good place to get similar shoes to the ones i posted, and a clutch (prefrably with either a chain strap or a wrist band) that would suit my dress?

HSC
housah0lic said:
aw very cute.
pic only loaded half away and won't load anymore so yeh
gorge from waist up haha

some really good shoe pics on this thread, i REALLY want the red ones... but after spending so much time looking for a dress i cbf with shoe shopping

girloflowers, your dress is pretty. and it seems pretty unique, so no chance of having the same dress as someone else.

michael1990

HSC
I got my suit yesterday from Myer. Its sweet.

Piere Cardin.
Black.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Formal dresses in Sydney

Affinity said:
KWAN

HSC: 2008
lol

I have a feeling that the membership might be shared. Either that or the OP totally confused himself/herself over the establishment of his/her profile.

I reckon it's just better to buy a dress for formal. I mean, you will probably wear more than once.

sci.girl

VCE IS DONE!!:D (finally)
HSC
It seems everyone has started shopping so early?! -I've only just started looking online for ideas. I seriously hate going dress shopping..
My formal's on the 28th November, so if I start shopping for the dress/shoes/jewellery on the 14th, I have 14 days -enough time? I don't want to stress about all this before my exams.. :eek:

but, ideally my dress would be floor length with emerald (but I think I'm too white!), or blue or purple dress. Brown if I must. I would love to wear black, but my friends would forbid it- I always wear black :p

What do you think of these? (if I managed to attach them right!)
The only problem is they are on American sites- do you think I can find something like this here?

SiN3m

HSC
sci.girl said:
It seems everyone has started shopping so early?! -I've only just started looking online for ideas. I seriously hate going dress shopping..
My formal's on the 28th November, so if I start shopping for the dress/shoes/jewellery on the 14th, I have 14 days -enough time? I don't want to stress about all this before my exams.. :eek:

but, ideally my dress would be floor length with emerald (but I think I'm too white!), or blue or purple dress. Brown if I must. I would love to wear black, but my friends would forbid it- I always wear black :p

The only problem is they are on American sites- do you think I can find something like this here?

the first image is very similar to my dress. I haven't seen any around but then again i'm not dress shopping...having it made

r0b-dog

HSC
N/A
anybody had they formal yet?
i had mine..

i wore..
black pants+black shoes+white shirt+red tie+ some red dye in my hair.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
sci.girl said:

Go to Luella, they sell dresses that look like that by Ruth Tarvydas. Around $350, almost the exact same design, and comes in something like 10 different colours. I got mine, a navy blue one, in the Bridge Road Luella in Melbourne, but I'm not sure which state you're in.

Edit - look here http://www.ruthtarvydas.com/stockists_australia.html

emobopeep

fght ff yr dmns
HSC
girloflowers said:
oh and girls, just a tip, unless you want to end up looing like a ganguro, DO NOT GO TO NAPOLEON PERDIS FOR YOUR MAKEUP. Just don't. Don't do that to yourself.
MAC and clinique are good. Napoleon is not. I dunno about inglot, never been there.
Better yet, save your money for alcohol and do your makeup yourself- MAC is going to cost you $95+ ( i shit you not)
I agree. People that go to Napoleon for their formal usually end up with 80s makeup :uhoh:
A MAC makeover is $95 flat, no matter what you get done. It's redeemable for products, though, so it's worth it IMO.

girloflowers

HSC
emobopeep said:
I agree. People that go to Napoleon for their formal usually end up with 80s makeup :uhoh:
A MAC makeover is $95 flat, no matter what you get done. It's redeemable for products, though, so it's worth it IMO.
True, the plus was in case you bought extra products.
mmmm, mac.
om nom nom.

i got my formal shoes! they're not like the ones that i posted but they're so pretty and SO COMFY!!! $150 from Zu. im in lurve.
now i just need a clutch and i'm all set

hahahayley

HSC
sci.girl said:

i bought my dress and shoes from go jane. the quality of the dress is quite good but i doubt the shoes will last long (but at the price they were, i'm not complaining). both the shoes and dress ran true to size.

sci.girl

VCE IS DONE!!:D (finally)
HSC
Thanks for all your help! How long did it take you to find the dress/shoes/clutch all together?? I'm starting to doubt my two week limit...

Strawbaby said:
Go to Luella, they sell dresses that look like that by Ruth Tarvydas. Around $350, almost the exact same design, and comes in something like 10 different colours. I got mine, a navy blue one, in the Bridge Road Luella in Melbourne, but I'm not sure which state you're in.

Edit - look here http://www.ruthtarvydas.com/stockists_australia.html
I live in Melbourne too :) Those dresses look soo nice.. But $350? uh, I think I need one under $200- my mother would flip if it were $350dress + $90 makeup then shoes and a bag! :uhoh:

girloflowers said:
i got my formal shoes! they're not like the ones that i posted but they're so pretty and SO COMFY!!! $150 from Zu. im in lurve.
I love Zu shoes as well :D

hahahayley said:
i bought my dress and shoes from go jane. the quality of the dress is quite good but i doubt the shoes will last long (but at the price they were, i'm not complaining). both the shoes and dress ran true to size.
The only thing I'm worried about is if the dress fits well (might need to alter it, and then I'm a bit iffy about ripping seams of a lovely dress!) if I buy it overseas without trying it.. Was your dress okay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)