• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Forum upgrade at midnight tonight (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yo James, have you thought about having a simple blog that updates people on maintenance occuring.

So when the forum is down it displays a message like: Website is under maintenance, please check our blog at blog.bos.org for more info.

That way everytime it goes down you won't get threads/questions saying 'WTF Happened?!?!?!11111'
I like this idea, will look into it on the weekend.

Any chance of stickied thread being more 'noticable' for all the little bos nooblings?
This sort of aesthetic change is relatively easy to make - the time consuming bit is figuring out exactly what the change should be, and then trying it out.

If you have an idea (e.g. HTML/CSS style suggestions) let me know.

Some sort of shading or background colour might work well, hmm.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
From other forums, stickies usually end up with the background filled with a darker colour, say the darker blue headings for the various sections here, rather than the shaded light blue/white.

edit: And yeah what kevin linked, in their own separate 'subsection' above everything with a sort of 'break' before the next sections, kinda like the current 'announcements'

HSC
edit: And yeah what kevin linked, in their own separate 'subsection' above everything with a sort of 'break' before the next sections, kinda like the current 'announcements'
Haha I find that makes stickies easier to ignore (though perhaps it would stand out more to newer users).

The most clean and effective way I think is to change the colour of the link (i.e. instead of dark blue, particularly important stickies could be pink/red/green etc).

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
As a temporary measure until I have time to setup a proper LaTeX interface, you can use the [ maths ] tag (without spaces).

For example:

[ maths ]\int_{1}^{2} x^{2} - 1[ /maths ]

produces:

[maths]\int_{1}^{2} x^{2} - 1[/maths]

In the meantime you can use this equation editor to figure out how to write your equations in code form.

[MATHS]
\begin{pmatrix}
9 & 13 & -4 & 2\\
0 & -4 & -2 & -2\\
3 & 3 & 0 & 0 \\
-3 & -3 & -2 & -2 \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
-2\\
0\\
-1\\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
-12\\
Did\:not\:solve\:eek:lolol\\
-6\\
\end{pmatrix}
\\

\begin{pmatrix}
-2\\
Forget\:it\\
-1\\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\lambda
\begin{pmatrix}
-12\\
-6\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/MATHS]

so i decided to create a set of matrices with eigenvectors and eigenvalues and the above was my result

Code:
[MATHS]
\begin{pmatrix}
9 & 13 & -4 & 2\\
0 & -4 & -2 & -2\\
3 & 3 & 0 & 0 \\
-3 & -3 & -2 & -2 \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
-2\\
0\\
-1\\
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
-12\\
Did\:not\:solve\:ololol\\
-6\\
\end{pmatrix}
\\

\begin{pmatrix}
-2\\
-1\\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\lambda
\begin{pmatrix}
-12\\
-6\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/MATHS]

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The tag only supports one line of symbols.

If you delete all of the line breaks:

[maths]\begin{pmatrix}9 & 13 & -4 & 2\\0 & -4 & -2 & -2\\3 & 3 & 0 & 0 \\-3 & -3 & -2 & -2 \\\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}-2\\0\\-1\\1\\\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}-12\\Did\:not\:solve\:\\-6\\Did\:not\:solve\:\\\end{pmatrix}\\\begin{pmatrix}-2\\Forget\:it\\-1\\Forget\:it\\\end{pmatrix}=\lambda\begin{pmatrix}-12\\Did\:not\:solve\:\\-6\\Did\:not\:solve\:\\\end{pmatrix}[/maths]

We'll have a proper interface for multi-line input soon.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
can u actually become a gold member?

im guessing that there is a cap set now.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hey Lazarus, how about adding predefined UI themes for accounts? Theres a forum i used to visit, BeyondUnreal (games that run with the unreal engines: ut, ut2k4, ut3, gears of war..), they have the latest vbulletin forum thingo and members can change themes of their user interface.

Maybe look into that after all the main stuff are fixed?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I've spent a lot of time trying to optimise the server tonight and reduce loading times.

Please let me know whether you notice any difference (improvements or irregularities).

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
when i view my profile (or others) theres a message at the top of the screen:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in [path]/member.php(512) : eval()'d code on line 43

when i viewed my profile..

And the page doesnt load all the graphics properly. plain white background, no graphics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)