Frankenstein and Blade Runner... Who's glad to see the end of it? (1 Viewer)

shannon_6

HSC
I hated the question. As far as identity goes, I wrote about how the different contexts shaped the texts into having separate identities, despite their thematic similarities... goodbye Band 6. :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I actually liked this question....

absorber

HSC
What did you guys think of the question? How did u approach it?
Personally I think it was ridiculous... hard for quoting reasons but I think I handled it ok... 8 pages.
Once you looked into it enough it was easy enough to see disruption of nature and notions of human identity. I thought it was a pretty ambiguous question, if they'd been as specific as everyone interpreted it it would've been better

copeys

HSC
+1
also about the promethean obsession of 'playing god' and how it fucked up victor and the 2019 world
:jaw:

But yeah, you know what I thought of the exam. Le shit. All terrible questions...

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
Lol... I'm badass on BoS :D
well stu, you never have to sit another english exam again.... hell, you never have to read a book! me... it's onto an arts course.
FML

rubyjazz37

HSC
Absolutely woeful question. I just.. well, attempted to bullshit. Doubt it worked but oh well. NO MORE ENGLISH AGAIN EVER!!! :D

xBecx

HSC
freaked me out at first but I interpreted it as identity being the humanity theme and the disruption bit referring to the natural world and all that. and i threw in a few context paragraphs coz i thought that was the whole point of the module and i didnt wanna miss something major. lol. pretty happy though. :)

monsters

HSC
great question. disruption and identity is just another way of portraying three of the major themes in both texts which were the importance of nature, what it is to be human and man acting as god. disruption of the natural order being the catalyst, both composers played off the fears of their times as a result of their contextual evolutions in science and technology blah blah. it was all fairly close to what we've studied throughout the course. context is the overarching theme of the module so if you didn't write about it... lol...

ibrian

HSC
^ what monsters said. so glad is OVER!!!
fuked mod b tho

monsters

HSC
it was a great question, it encompassed everything we've studied. disruption and identity covers three major themes of both texts; the importance of nature, what it is to be human and man acting as god. the disruption of the natural order due to humanity's selfish nature of identifying themselves as creators was the catalyst for the resulting contextual fears with the evolution of science, technology and industry. the over-arching theme of the module is context so if you didn't write about it... lol...

jassono

HSC
Ive found all module a questions relate to either humanity or the subversion of nature
So, in disrupting the natural world, Victor and Tyrell isolate themselves, tearing down their humanity, and thus their identity
I love module a, it's so good and the texts are perfect, they even have similar allusions to paradise lost
Unfortunately, im sad that its over, texts in time is a brilliant module

jonesay

HSC
It was the easiest question for me

I took the disruption as the rise of progress/reason/rationalisation of the Enlightenment period, and how it altered and changed man's identity of himself

Similarly with BR, progress, corporate capitialism and machines undermines humanity's sense of self/identity

askrach

HSC
I thought it was quite fair. As with everyone else, I referred to the distorted view of humanity (challenging our ways of distinguishing between real + artificial) as a result of abuse of science/technology in regards to 'identity' and the disruption of natural law as a result of science/technology for, well, 'disruption'. It was pretty vague, really you could make anything you learnt relate to it.

alisondance

HSC
i was like WTF! never even looked at disruption or identity. i took the disruption as the context - restrictions and boundaries like science/technologies, class structures, gender roles and extended this to those in the text e.g. minimal demotive roles, lack of mothers...for identity i did the monster vs replicant in physical deformity names, histories etc and also for identity who is the real monthser and used the modern prometheus and pre face from paradise lost...????

ixswans

HSC
It was good in that it actually made you think, whereas a "The similarities represent common human values" question you just spewed - allowed individual, personal theses to be developed. I think the examiners will enjoy reading the responses because its not a 'vomit all you can' question. I liked it & talked about a confusion of identity because of the blurring of the line between human and creation and the rift between science and the natural world, integrating the idea of the misuse of power, globalisation, whatever whatever into it too. I'm going to miss BR/F. It was the most interesting module this year :)

tonyharrison

HSC
Yeah i thought the "disruption" and "identity" key words were pretty vague and could've been applied to anything really. Suppose that's why they chose them. I did think this was the worst question out of the rest...and i did leave it til last so was pretty dodgy...
I liked Blade Runner overall as a movie, plus it was easy to grab techniques to prove whatever. Frankenstein quotes killledd meee. AS IF YOU NEED THAT MUCH DESCRIPTION OF THE MOUNTAINS!!

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
I thought Blade Runner was good. Easily the best module

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)