Frankenstein and Blade Runner... Who's glad to see the end of it? (1 Viewer)

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
What did you guys think of the question? How did u approach it?
Personally I think it was ridiculous... hard for quoting reasons but I think I handled it ok... 8 pages.

nosh22

HSC
Disruption and identity. Wtf?I was like, urrrggh during reading time.But I think I pulled it off. :) Thank god.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I interpreted the question as 'disruption' in the case of the abuse of nature stemming from Victor Frankenstein's statement to Robert Walton: “Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how happier the man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow.” I argued humanity disrupts society and nature by their overreaching ambition. (Blade Runner: “More human than human is our motto.”) As for 'identity', I interpreted that to mean the essence of humanity, what constitutes human nature etc. When I first read the question I panicked, but after I read it through a few times, it was quite straight forward to approach.

anom1ly

HSC
I interpreted the question as 'disruption' in the case of the abuse of nature stemming from Victor Frankenstein's statement to Robert Walton: “Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how happier the man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow.” I argued humanity disrupts society and nature by their overreaching ambition. (Blade Runner: “More human than human is our motto.”) As for 'identity', I interpreted that to mean the essence of humanity, what constitutes human nature etc. When I first read the question I panicked, but after I read it through a few times, it was quite straight forward to approach.
yeah, i interpreted it the same way. module a was by far the best module, it made english bearable.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
It surprised me a bit.

I wrote about disruption of nature, disruption of humanity/society, loss of human identity (dehumanisation).

8 pages.

Not expecting anything great :(

Last edited:

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Identity was alright, as it was portrayed through the metaphor of the artificial intelligence (i.e. the monster and the replicants) and it was also reflected in the setting of both texts (e.g. the reign of consumerism in BR and the pathetic fallacies and epistolary framework of F). Disruption was a bit tricky, but I guess it was how you approached it. I approached it from the perspective that because both texts were composed in revolutionary contexts, they disrupted and challenged preconceived notions - such as gender, slavery and religion. Also, this disruption was embodied in the characters (especially the monster in F and Roy in BR) who disrupted humanity through their eloquence and insight into the human condition (basically dehumanising humanity as a result of this).

Last edited:

hoecake

HSC
eh can somebody tell me what the hell this had to do with context shaping meaning? isnt the whole fking module context shaping meaning? wtf fml

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
It surprised me a bit.

I wrote about disruption of nature, disruption of humanity, loss of human identity (dehumanisation).
:(
+1
also about the promethean obsession of 'playing god' and how it fucked up victor and the 2019 world

boganxcore

HSC
It surprised me a bit.

I wrote about disruption of nature, disruption of humanity/society, loss of human identity (dehumanisation).

8 pages.

Not expecting anything great :(
i did the same, hoping it gets in the A range.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
I always thought this module would be my favourite because Frankenstein is one of my favourite books. Strangely enough, it was my least favourite out of all the modules. The only thing I disliked more than this was the AOS. I'm kind of glad I never have to write about Frankenstein again. I love the book dearly but studying it almost drove me crazy. And Blade Runner? Yeah it was okay but I regret buying the DVD.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
I actually enjoyed that module. It was the most interesting and had the most information. If anything it had too much information and that was a problem.

Thecorey0

HSC
I actually enjoyed that module. It was the most interesting and had the most information. If anything it had too much information and that was a problem.
Exactly my thoughts, and my marks up to this have reflected my interest.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
eh can somebody tell me what the hell this had to do with context shaping meaning? isnt the whole fking module context shaping meaning? wtf fml
yeah i was thinking the same thing! i chucked in a few paragraphs of context though

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
It seems not real. Like its not gone forever, but holy shit I'm Happy it is.I didn't answer the qestion to the best of my ability,I compared them (similarities) by explaining the central theme of 'man playing god' ultimately explores disruption of the natural order of things.. Then the exploration of what factors determine humanity, I manipulated that into identity (somehow?) like the replicants sequentially develop greater identity and this is intensified due the juxtposition with the 'real' humans' Uhm, then there differences I used nature. Nature in 'Frankenstein' seems to express identity (for Victor), however in 'blade Runner' nature is explored in terms of its disruption/destruction.Not great at all, I pretty much based it all on the themes and how they convey the identity and disruption thing,

k150764

HSC
I wrote about the context,abandoment of the creation (loss of identity in the world of humanity) ,monstrosity (disruption in life of both the creator and the created)r these right?GOD i hated the questionour school talked nothing about identity

hoecake

HSC
romanticism, enlightenment age where was any of that? couldve just spent the entire year not learning context at all...

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I actually liked Frankenstein :eek:but Blade Runner - seriously, wtf.but out all the english modules, this would be my most fave ~the question was interesting, had a slight panic during reading time (I was like wtf :confused:) but it made sense after going through it - talked about disruption of nature (linked to the effects of unharnessed scientific and technolgical advancement) + disruption of power (i.e. creator/created and control) + loss of human identity (monster in frankenstein, voight-kampff test in blade runner)

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
I was kind of annoyed they didn't specify anything to do with context too but I still had the rubric in mind and wrote a bit about it anyway just in case it actually was important to refer to it in our answers.
context was important. if you read the little dotpoints before the question. One of them was 'evaluate the relationships between texts and contexts'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)