Frankenstein is a hobo (1 Viewer)

waryap

HSC
It's nice to get through two volumes then noticing that you haven't actually touched the good stuff yet.
Other than that, I think the way Mary Shelley wrote the book is quite stunning, all the description and lingual depth... gah, so good.
What's your view on Frankentstein?
BTW for the HSC what questions do we get asked on Frankenstein in relevance/contrast to Bladerunner? I'm still unclear, although I could easily access a past paper :D

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Decent novel with strong thematic content, that can tend to drag at points due to unnecessary plot and descriptive repetition.

lychnobity

HSC
It's nice to get through two volumes then noticing that you haven't actually touched the good stuff yet.
/facepalm

You missed most of the stuff worthy of quoting in an essay

BTW for the HSC what questions do we get asked on Frankenstein in relevance/contrast to Bladerunner? I'm still unclear, although I could easily access a past paper :D
How their exploration of certain themes are different because of when they were written. That's the main idea (not limited to that however).

You should be able to compare them in the following ways:

- Theme
- Context
- Theme & Context (this is the most important one)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
This is elective is called Texts in Time. As the module is called A Comparative Study of Texts and Contexts, this module will require you to be able to show how as a result of the contexts of composition, authors will shape/mould their views, and in effect, their literary texts, in order to reflect the beliefs of their respective contexts. However, by the same note, despite disparate contexts, certain values and themes are prevalent in Shelley's 16th Century Romantic scope, as they are in Scott's 1980s postmodern consumerist world.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
This is elective is called Texts in Time. As the module is called A Comparative Study of Texts and Contexts, this module will require you to be able to show how as a result of the contexts of composition, authors will shape/mould their views, and in effect, their literary texts, in order to reflect the beliefs of their respective contexts. However, by the same note, despite disparate contexts, certain values and themes are prevalent in Shelley's 16th Century Romantic scope, as they are in Scott's 1980s postmodern consumerist world.
Thx :D

HSC
I loved it, it kept me interested most of the time. I would read it again.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I loved it, it kept me interested most of the time. I would read it again.
Really? I read the book and kind of hated it since it seemed so dragged out, but after reading spark notes it really made it more enjoyable :D

HSC
Haha, I know what you mean, we're doing Austen for Ext 1, and my friend has solely relied on the services of Wikipedia.

Mary Shelley's life was really interesting, though tragic. I'm not into biographies or anything, but her life was one of a kind...you should read up on it.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
An interesting read, wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole if I hadn't been required to read it. Worthwhile.

tenaia

HSC
16th Century? i thought it was 19th....? She finished it in 1817, ha i hope.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
She goes to a lot of effort to describe nature, emphasising nature's power A LOT.

AmieLea

HSC
it was alright... it took a awhile to get going, but then it was good. but i hated the ending! Victor dies from the cold, frankenstein goes off to kill himself (though we get no description) and Walton returns (yet again, we dont know whether this happens and whther he got home safely). poor ending... :argue:

i love to act

HSC
Likewise, it took me a while to get into the novel, but after intently studying the text, I love it!
I love the issues the novel brings up (overreaching, man playing God), and I love the parallels it shares with Blade Runner.
Oh, and I absolutely adore the way Shelley has creatively incorporated allusions (esp. Biblical/Religious).

"I, the miserable and the abandoned, am an abortion, to be spurned at, and kicked, and trampled on".
- I love that quote! Although, I really do empathise with the monster :(
Damn you Victor Frankenstein!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)