• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Free options vs. Gen ed courses (2 Viewers)

LordPc

HSC
may i add that they are phasing out 3uoc gen eds at the end of 2011. From that point on, you can only do courses that are worth 6uoc.

Meaning its best to do some 3uoc this year and the first half of next year, while its still around....:read:
does that mean instead of taking 4 courses worth 3 UoC each, we can then do 2 courses worth 6 Uoc each?

Really!?
Damn. Some of the gen-eds that I wanted to do are only worth 3UOC. Some less... And as a part of my course, I don't get a gen-ed elective until 2nd semester next year :(
if your timetable allows it, you can take a gen ed on top of a full load. 27 UoC is not considered overloading. ged ed courses are also offered in the summer. and finally, if you have an elective, you can choose to take two gen ed courses instead. that way you can take the gen ed courses you really want to do and then later on in your degree when you should have done the gen eds, you can do whatever you want

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
if your timetable allows it, you can take a gen ed on top of a full load. 27 UoC is not considered overloading. ged ed courses are also offered in the summer. and finally, if you have an elective, you can choose to take two gen ed courses instead. that way you can take the gen ed courses you really want to do and then later on in your degree when you should have done the gen eds, you can do whatever you want
Hmm, really? I didn't know that, so would that apply to all courses? It'd be good if I were able to cram in an extra gen-ed and not worry about it later.

does that mean instead of taking 4 courses worth 3 UoC each, we can then do 2 courses worth 6 Uoc each?
Yep.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Yeah, you can do 12 units of any courses in the degree. Gen Eds do not count, as they're on a seperate list and are marked differently.
I'm just having a debate with LordPC though about whether you can do courses outside your faculty for an elective. So I can't say whether you can.
But honestly, why bother? Just do some extra courses at the ASB. Stuff you're interested in but which doesn't count towards your majors.
I just realised that for B Comm/Eco we get to have 2 free options and 2 free gen eds. So right now my question is: For the free options can you pick anything you like or only within your faculty?
Is it also possible to pick gen eds for your free options, therefore doing 4 gen eds courses?

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I dunno how it works for the ASB, but for the Built Environment it works like this.
We have three kinds of electives.
- FBE Electives
- Open Electives
- General Education Electives

An FBE elective has to be within the faculty, an open elective can be anything and general education has to begin with GENx. I rang up the FBE student centre people and they clarified this for me.

Obviously, you wouldn't do an Open Elective if it wasn't helping your career pursuits in some way. General Eds are for different things lol. I plan on taking a Language Course for my Gen Ed and maybe doing an Open Elective that sets me up for owning my own business? Who knows if something like that exists, but yeh, hehe.

Lydia_88

HSC
Really!?
Damn. Some of the gen-eds that I wanted to do are only worth 3UOC. Some less... And as a part of my course, I don't get a gen-ed elective until 2nd semester next year :(

I hope they make some of the 3UOC courses 6UOC courses by making it a more substantial course :/
yeah, i have the whole quote here from the handbook website -

Faculty General Education Requirements -

To provide greater depth and academic rigour in General Education, the University will move to 6 unit General Education courses. 3 unit General Education courses will continue to be offered during the transition period but no new 3 unit designated General Education courses will be introduced. Remaining 3 unit courses were reviewed in Semester 2, 2009 and will be discontinued by the end of 2011.

Lydia_88

HSC
yeah you can do that (plus i think its quicker that way, instead of having to do 4 x 3uoc subs). just make sure to look at the handbook gen ed list :)

taken from the gen ed 2010 handbook website -

[To provide greater depth and academic rigour in General Education, the University will move to 6 unit General Education courses. 3 unit General Education courses will continue to be offered during the transition period but no new 3 unit designated General Education courses will be introduced. Remaining 3 unit courses were reviewed in Semester 2, 2009 and will be discontinued by the end of 2011]

Zozo6969

HSC
there phasing out the gened courses worth 3 UOC, and moving to subjects worth 6 UOC. Im not sure if they're phasing out the GEN_XXXX prefix courses worth 6 UOC, but I know that u can now take many more courses that are actual core subjects for most degress from other faculties that will count to ur 12 UOC of geneds. Eg, i know that ACCT1511 and ECON1203 can be used for geneds, so people from outside the faculty of business can take these subjects as geneds now. saves them having to make up entirely new and pointless curriculums just to give people a bit of extra education on stuff they dont know when they can just use the courses that have been running for years.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I knew that they were offering normal courses as general ed courses, but is there a list of these subjects? I.e. the gened's we can do that don't have a GENX prefix?

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I knew that they were offering normal courses as general ed courses, but is there a list of these subjects? I.e. the gened's we can do that don't have a GENX prefix?
Wait. Found it. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)