Free trade with US

• For

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Against

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters

Alexander

Gold Member
Free Trade talks with US. For or against? Pat on the back for Iraq or slap in the face for our identity?
Lil further up G. W's bum or a love affair with asia. a handcuffing to the b...well, you get the picture...

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
There has to be something in it for the states. And we will loose somehow!!!

Rorix

HSC
It will be almost impossible to get a decent free trade deal due to the size of Australia's economy. Most of the countries the US does free trade deals with are very small i.e. no thread to US producers.

= Jennifer =

HSC
is it true that if australia does do free trade with some asian countries it will only happen if australia becomes 50% asian populated???

also, what do we get from the USA anyway??

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Im for free trade as long as:
  • All subsidies for their farmers are removed and guaranteed not to be introduced again.
  • It is for EVERYTHING at the start, not a piece-meal free trade agreement (ie, it has to be implemented straight away, not like agricultural products introduced after 10 years etc)

jayz

walking
Originally posted by Rorix
It will be almost impossible to get a decent free trade deal due to the size of Australia's economy. Most of the countries the US does free trade deals with are very small i.e. no thread to US producers.
Exactly. US 's free trade wif aus just means more exports, higher CAD and Foreign Debt to aus, as aus can never match the competitive prices US offers in any trading industry.

Originally posted by = Jennifer =
is it true that if australia does do free trade with some asian countries it will only happen if australia becomes 50% asian populated???

to the first question, no. i fink tat previous malaysian prime minister, said something similar to tat. as to ur 2nd question, aus mainly import high tech goods from US (i.e. machinery etc), watsmore, we can get mad cows from the US however not from any other nation atm

Originally posted by cro_angel
can someone explain to me what this actually is.. im kinda confused..
not costing anything to trade? like no taxes or something?
in short, complete removal of all political, social and economical barriers to the two nations in agreement of trade. i.e. gov can't impose tariffs (taxes) to foreign imports, etc

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Is PBS still something they're discussing? cos america's pharmaceutical companies don't like it, but there would be opposition here if they got rid of it.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =

yeh it was... mahatir mohamad (malaysian pm or recently ex-pm...) said that he would not support australias attempts to join asean or consider us part of asia until our population was at least 50% asian.....

the thing that we get from america is mainly access to their agricultural market as they are currently highly protected by subsidies........i posted heaps on this in another thread, and i dont really wanna type it all out again....holidays :D :D

Alexander

Gold Member
Originally posted by AGB
yeh it was... mahatir mohamad (malaysian pm or recently ex-pm...) said that he would not support australias attempts to join asean or consider us part of asia until our population was at least 50% asian.....
He also said that all Muslim nations must ally and build planes, tanks, ships and bombs to rid the world of the international Jew...
I think he misunderstands the word 'citizenship' and 'australian citizen' -race and citizenship have long since been seporated. Me thinks he's a bit of a drongo

Anyway, Free Trade doesnt always solely benifit the US as a WHOLE. i.e. NAFTA free trade saw a whole bunch of U.S. companies pack up and move their manufactoring to Mexico where labour is cheap and conditions are crrrap-olla. This made the executives filthy rich, but in terms of the US economy, heaps were left unemployed and unable to buy the items produced (eg cars---see Michael Moore's 80s' film "Roger and Me");) .
But I doubt that there are situations in australia where that would really apply- might even be the opposite. Why dont they just get the whole thing over with and airlift australia on top of them?

What do you guys think about the cultural implications though? With like arts, music and film being drowned, moving us even more close to US pop culture, with our kids growing up thinking 'everything exciting happens in the US, this place is a shite hole'!!!!!

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
The Australian government are the USA's puppets. They offer incentives just to ensure that we are on their side even if it is for pointless reasons. And John Howard is fool enough not to realize that he is not in control but the US is.

He could be wise and realize that he can not support every move/decision that the US makes or he can be foolish by putting Australia on the line. And for what? Free trade, which may sound good but who knows what the consequences may be?

B

Bambul

The govt has stated many times that it will not alter the PBS as part of the FTA. Also I think the effects on Australian culture have been heavily exagerated, but either way they probably had the effect of convincing the Aust negotiators not to trade away Australian culture*.

The idea of free trade is that it is mutually beneficial. There tend to be initial losses in employment in both countries as inefficient industries lose market share to foreign firms (this will occur from both sides). But employment would then pick up in the long run. That's the theory, it's not 100% right, but it's a pretty good guide.

The basic effects on the economy (to use a simple example) is greater access to US markets for Australian farmers and greater access for US manufacturers to Australian markets. Farmers will benefit because they will receive higher prices for their produce (due to lower tariffs - taxes - on exports) and pay less on their equipment (lower tariffs on imports).

So what? Take with one hand and take with the other? What's the point if it just results in more unemployment? Well the theory goes that free trade will help in producing a more efficient allocation of resources, it's called comparitive advantage. This should ultimately create more employment and higher incomes. But it will create hardship for some in the short term.

As for the argument that this will probably be just a "free-er trade" not an actual free trade agreement, that is 100% true. All I can say is that it is part and parcel of politics.

* About Australian culture: if the recent local comedy movies (minus a few notable exceptions) are a sign of Australian culture then bring in the demolishers! I'm getting rid of Australian culture as fast as I can! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander

Gold Member
Perhaps i didnt make myself clear enough on my main point: "with our kids growing up thinking 'everything exciting happens in the US, this place is a shite hole'!!!!!"
It's about a sence of belonging and identity---a very serious thing- and it aint exaggerated.
For me, the surface issue of more money and trade aint the big fish.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bambul
Did I mention that I'm studying to become an economist? :D
"An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today." Laurence Peter

sorry bambul, couldn't resist :p

jayz

walking
Originally posted by mic
"an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today."
tat's a fortune teller, anyway, i fink bambul want's to become a econocrat not an economist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)