Free trade with US

• For

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Against

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters

Alexander

Gold Member
Fine then, but dont blame me when your kids give you a stroke after years of nagging to move to the US.

Rorix

HSC
It doesn't become The Commenwealth of Australia, that's for sure.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But at the moments our farmers cant compete in the US market because of the tariffs and subsidies, only at the minimum a partial free trade agreement will make it possible

Alexander

Gold Member
Maybe we could do what Europe did when Bush put huge tarriffs on their steel - threaten an all out embargo...it worked, and i can really see Howard doing it!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well its interesting the votes at the moment 50/50.

Alexander

Gold Member
Can you feel the tension? I can and you could cut it with a knive.
I've always wondered if this site is monitored by someone trying to get the vibe of us youngens. It would be useful if they were into that sortof thing, I mean older people might be more outraged at the prospect of a US/AUS market, while younger people have been brought up predominatly on stuff from the US and are more lax about it.

jayz

walking
actually the only tradition or cutural identity australia is recognised by the world is its love of sports. seriously, i dunt reckon aus can enforce any trade decisions wif the us, i mean, y the hell r the aussie gov supporting tat missile crap anyway? they noe this eventually will mean more anti-US forces targetting AUS...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander
Maybe we could do what Europe did when Bush put huge tarriffs on their steel - threaten an all out embargo...it worked, and i can really see Howard doing it!
The problem with the idea of an embargo however, is the relative size and economic power of Australia and the European Union..

Alexander

Gold Member
I was kinda joking about that one, hence insinuating that we arent in a position to do that.
I dont know what to say anymore. I think that Australia would obviously benifit from free-trade, the only set back i could think of is a flooding of US stuff, leading to a washing away of Australian values and culture, leaving a hollow nation full of dissilusioned souls unconnected with their home etc. (i am thinking long term though). But from this thread, most people seem dissillusioned already and pretty negative about the very existence of a unique auzzi way of doing things. The mood seems very defeatist.

jayz

walking
alexander my friend, culture and tradition is only good when recognised by the majority, if not then u won't call it culture or tradition, isn't it?

btw, i am hoping tat i am yet to be dissilusioned from US cultural exports

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander
I was kinda joking about that one, hence insinuating that we arent in a position to do that.
I dont know what to say anymore. I think that Australia would obviously benifit from free-trade, the only set back i could think of is a flooding of US stuff, leading to a washing away of Australian values and culture, leaving a hollow nation full of dissilusioned souls unconnected with their home etc. (i am thinking long term though). But from this thread, most people seem dissillusioned already and pretty negative about the very existence of a unique auzzi way of doing things. The mood seems very defeatist.
a common fault of capitalism my red comrade

but anyway
go free trade

Alexander

Gold Member
Originally posted by jayz
alexander my friend, culture and tradition is only good when recognised by the majority, if not then u won't call it culture or tradition, isn't it?
I think you've hit a nerve compadree. You've spoken a truth i've been trying to avoid for eons. The reality is...we aint all that special: Convicts - outlaws - few foreign wars - turn away from motherlund - SCREW indigenous owners - turn away or lock up needy people - evolve into bonsia (little bush).
Whatever we call culture or tradition isnt anything all that commendable and certainly not something we all agree on.
We're both physically and culturally inbetween two much greater nations.
I think ill shut up now
"quiet you"

Last edited:

Turner

HSC
Australia's already highly saturated by US culture, I don't think that the FTA will change that much. However I am pessimistic that the FTA will even happen; the US isn't willing to concede much on agriculture, which is ultimately the what Australia needs the most out of the deal. And as for the PBS, I find it disgusting that the US is insisting that the PBS be changed, so that American drug companies can rip off sick people.

In the American dictionary of Freedom, 'bilateral' does not exist.

Alexander

Gold Member
Did anyone see the news? the talks are ebbing ever so closer. They're now on sugar-cane I think, but just the body language of both sides...i mean, it spoke volumes! Like "we are so sooo close dudes" Ehh? ya follow me? ya follow me? struuuth.

B

Bambul

From what I've heard of the govt reps I have a very high trust in them representing the greater good for Australia in the negotiations. If they don't get a good deal then they will walk away. Australian culture is certainly not threatened, it was never on the bargaining table to begin with. It's all about manufacturing, rural goods, professional services, resources, etc.

I got my fingers crossed that it will pull through.

2003HSC

free trade with the US will be nothing compared to getting a deal with China, even though that probably wont be in discussion for a few more years. I am against the FTA because while it will almost certainly benefit both countries economically, it may mean poorer nations will lose trading ground with either Australia or the US.

Alexander

Gold Member
There's certainly movement with China, they probably require a more clear stance with taiwan though before anything major. But I dont think China trade compares with US trade...maybe with raw materials, but yeah.
As with culture, im sure the intentions of the negotiators are honourable, but as soon as FREE trade is agreed to, with alot of AUST products leaving our shores, and an influx of US products on the market, i worry that we'll find nothing uniquely australian and have our current problem accentuated, that is, an almost total ignorance and lazyness towards big issues from youth. Nightmare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)