French President Sarkozy says burqas are 'not welcome' in France (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
banning it wont solve anything.

Those who wear it out of free choice will just wear something else.

But those who are forced to wear it wont even be allowed out of their own homes.

In fact, the burqa is a liberator to those woman who are forced to wear this tent.

at least they can go shopping to get the groceries and what not. If a ban is imposed their husbands wont even let them do that.

HSC
N/A
Why dont they ban tubans as well? That is a possible security risk. You could fit a fucking bomb in that as well

HSC
N/A

That looks fucking ugly. Bat shit fucking ugly.

There are so many western dresses which a are modest and not revealing.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
True dat, but JonathanM was talking about Freedom in a fallacious, misleading way.
Hardly. I'm not sure what kind of convoluted, or rather, traditional view of religion you have, but I can see banning it as an act more liberating than allowing it.

HSC
N/A
Hardly. I'm not sure what kind of convoluted, or rather, traditional view of religion you have, but I can see banning it as an act more liberating than allowing it.
whatever. Let the person decide that you fool

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I am an atheist, douche bag. All I was saying that the banning of burqas, whether or not it is a good thing, would limit people's freedoms/civil rights.
Personally, I agree that the burqa is detestable; a vile symbol of the oppression of women. HOWEVER, banning the burqa would not be an act of freedom, as you did earlier so passionately declare.

That looks fucking ugly. Bat shit fucking ugly.

There are so many western dresses which a are modest and not revealing.
How disgusting; that looks like a fucking plastic bag. If those Islamic extremists had any respect for the environment they would switch to canvas.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I am an atheist, douche bag. All I was saying that the banning of burqas, whether or not it is a good thing, would limit people's freedoms/civil rights.
Personally, I agree that the burqa is detestable; a vile symbol of the oppression of women. HOWEVER, banning the burqa would not be an act of freedom, as you did earlier so passionately declare.

How disgusting; that looks like a fucking plastic bag. If those Islamic extremists had any respect for the environment they would switch to canvas.
Or better yet a body bag since them raghead insurgents are running rampant with bombings at a time US forces are pulling out

K

khorne

He has every right. When you come to someone elses country, you try to integrate and assimilate. I.e Adopt their culture and values, as well as integrating your ones. So, it is fine to practice religion, and civil liberties are not at risk (it's stupid, saying they are). France is trying to show it's value for equal and free society, and I strongly support them. The world is secular, and that's how it should be. Religion is a private affair.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Whether you believe it is the right thing or not, telling people that they can't wear a piece of clothing is an obstruction of civil liberties.

banco55

HSC
banning it wont solve anything.

Those who wear it out of free choice will just wear something else.

But those who are forced to wear it wont even be allowed out of their own homes.

In fact, the burqa is a liberator to those woman who are forced to wear this tent.

at least they can go shopping to get the groceries and what not. If a ban is imposed their husbands wont even let them do that.
If husbands aren't letting their wives out of the house then that's a matter for the police.

HSC
N/A
If husbands aren't letting their wives out of the house then that's a matter for the police.
yeah bro. the police. The same police who so magnificent are trying to figure out who are being forced to wear a tent and who are not.

Holly_H

HSC
Whether you believe it is the right thing or not, telling people that they can't wear a piece of clothing is an obstruction of civil liberties.
Perhaps, but we do have restrictions on what clothes we can or cannot wear.

In the end it's entirely up to France what they will, or won't tolerate in their own country. Just as we cannot immigrate to Islamic regions and start demanding to wear what ever we feel. They have laws regarding garments, if we were to immigrate to their region we would have to, and rightly so, honor whatever laws they dictate. It is therefore within Frances prerogative to do the same.
Have you been to an Islamic region? we got a right dressing down about our appearance when we entered Dubai (beautiful city), i didn't question my own 'freedom' or 'civil liberties' i simply honored there customs and abided by their laws. If i chose to live there i would not attempt to enforce my western customs under the guise of freedom and civil liberties.

Whether or not the Bur-qua is a symbol of oppression could be seen as relative, however, if France has declared it oppressive then they have every right to ban it, it is after all, their country.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
Perhaps, but we do have restrictions on what clothes we can or cannot wear.

In the end it's entirely up to France what they will, or won't tolerate in their own country. Just as we cannot immigrate to Islamic regions and start demanding to wear what ever we feel. They have laws regarding garments, if we were to immigrate to their region we would have to, and rightly so, honor whatever laws they dictate. It is therefore within Frances prerogative to do the same.
Have you been to an Islamic region? we got a right dressing down about our appearance when we entered Dubai (beautiful city), i didn't question my own 'freedom' or 'civil liberties' i simply honored there customs and abided by their laws. If i chose to live there i would not attempt to enforce my western customs under the guise of freedom and civil liberties.

Whether or not the Bur-qua is a symbol of oppression could be seen as relative, however, if France has declared it oppressive then they have every right to ban it, it is after all, their country.
There are 2 problems with your argument. The first being your attempt in comparing France to Dubai. Dubai has never stated that it is a emirate which believes in freedom, so such a comparison is mute.

The second fallacy is when you say "their" country. For who are you speaking of? The french people? The bureaucrats? the legislators? But even if you are speaking of one of those listed who are "they" to in anyway infringe on the rights of those who freely wish to wear the burqa? This sort of argumentation reflects a general double standard of freedom that is always applied to certain members of a state but not to anyone else.

edit: read post 29

lala2

Banned
HSC
This is a bandaid solution, and it's not even a solution at that. The real problem is France has allowed too many people who practice more extreme forms of Islam to migrate there. And I'm in no way an Islamophobe--for the first 12 years of my life I lived in a moderate Muslim society and I had no issue with that (and still don't). There's nothing wrong with practicing an more extreme form of Islam as such, it's more that these people are more likely to use their religion as an excuse to do shit things.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
cbf reading any responses from any of you, but I'm in the position where I believe if you're going to ban one religious symbol you're going to ban them all.

This includes wearing crosses, jewstars, etc.

And tbh, if Muslim women want to wear a garment that signifies their oppression, then who are we to stop them?

Sprangler

HSC
This is a bandaid solution, and it's not even a solution at that. The real problem is France has allowed too many people who practice more extreme forms of Islam to migrate there. And I'm in no way an Islamophobe--for the first 12 years of my life I lived in a moderate Muslim society and I had no issue with that (and still don't). There's nothing wrong with practicing an more extreme form of Islam as such, it's more that these people are more likely to use their religion as an excuse to do shit things.
Shit things like.. adhere to their religion and culture by wearing a burqa?

cbf reading any responses from any of you, but I'm in the position where I believe if you're going to ban one religious symbol you're going to ban them all.

This includes wearing crosses, jewstars, etc.

And tbh, if Muslim women want to wear a garment that signifies their oppression, then who are we to stop them?
How do a crosses or Jew stars oppress women?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
How do a crosses or Jew stars oppress women?
read my post you fucking cross eyed ant

i said

if you're going to ban one thing, you should ban them all. but seeing as how they don't actually hurt anyone, i dont see the point. i didnt say crosses and jew stars were oppressive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)