gen maths. the DISADVANTAGES (1 Viewer)

09er

HSC
I do general maths, and i find it quite challenging, mainly because of the way the question is set, like a question from general maths, some are like a little short paragraphs of words. If you understand the question and know the steps to do the question then it's easy.
My marks are slowly deteriorating but maybe because i cbb to do homework.

Also general maths is quite useful in society esp. financial maths, where you learn about interest in yr 11 and yr12 course, it prevents you from going to debt in furture as you are able to see how much money is being added on from interest rates.

Right now i'm learning probabibility, and my teacher who teaches ext 2 (?), said very few topics are similar, like Arrangements(gen maths) and permutations (ext2).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yes, there are some disadvantages that come with doing General Mathematics. But everyone subject has its own advantages and disadvantages. It's good as long as you make the most out of its advantages, and least of the disadvantages.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
im considering dropping to gen maths, but i would like to know of all the disadvantages and advantages if i were to make this decision.

such as, would i be limited in uni course assumed knowledge criteria etc etc...
would one be scaled down A LOT because it's considered an "easy" subject?

it'd be much appreciated if many people would reply :)
only really smart people can do general maths.

these people often continue to uni and excellent, high paying ,fufilling jobs

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
only really smart people can do general maths.

these people often continue to uni and excellent, high paying ,fufilling jobs
If that were true, gen maths would have a scaled mean of 40+

HSC
the biggest mistake for me is that i chose gen.maths and it's so boring and wouldn't benefit you in anyway .... in times like this i shouldve taken the teachers offer in doin 2unit maths instead of listening to my friend:mad1: BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE ..... oh well

tedelex06

HSC
well im currently doing 2 unit and im really thinking of dropping down. im struggling like hell cause i missed half of year nine.

if i do general will i still be able to do IT/programming in uni?

here are my courses.

2 unit maths (might drop to general)
Software Design and Development
IT Multimedia
VET IT
Engineering Studies
Advanced English
Extension 1 English (doing 4 units of english next year)

Failure_123

HSC
Assumed knowledge for a course in uni, so it doesn't mean that you have to do maths if your doing a finance/commerce related course, just that you need to know it? or does it require it and you need to do that otherwise they won't accept you?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Assumed knowledge for a course in uni, so it doesn't mean that you have to do maths if your doing a finance/commerce related course, just that you need to know it? or does it require it and you need to do that otherwise they won't accept you?
it means that they assume you have done it, but they don't check when you enrol.

however, I do NOT recommend dropping down to general maths unless you are absolutely failing in 2unit. I am tutoring a guy in first year at the moment who totally regrets being lazy and dropping to general; he has so much to catch up on.

• if you are planning on doing science or engineering, 2unit is a must.
  • for finance/commerce, you could probably get away with general because it's a piss easy degree anyway

hope this helps :)

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
well im currently doing 2 unit and im really thinking of dropping down. im struggling like hell cause i missed half of year nine.

if i do general will i still be able to do IT/programming in uni?

here are my courses.

2 unit maths (might drop to general)
Software Design and Development
IT Multimedia
VET IT
Engineering Studies
Advanced English
Extension 1 English (doing 4 units of english next year)
hi there

you will still be able to do IT with general maths, because IT is mainly about the business/systems side of computing

however if you want to do a course with hardcore programming such as Software Engineering or Computer Science, you have to do 2unit. this is because most unis will make their Seng/Compsci guys do first year maths, and it's really hard to pass first year maths at uni having only done general

Jaylee42003

HSC
im considering dropping to gen maths, but i would like to know of all the disadvantages and advantages if i were to make this decision.

such as, would i be limited in uni course assumed knowledge criteria etc etc...
would one be scaled down A LOT because it's considered an "easy" subject?

it'd be much appreciated if many people would reply :)
I dropped from 2 unit
Gen is boring boring BORING but so easy :D
I think I will be doing a bridging course at uni for 2u maths.

PLUS if you do drop down, either get 96+ in the hsc or have back up units because general maths scaling is awful.

Failure_123

HSC
it means that they assume you have done it, but they don't check when you enrol.

however, I do NOT recommend dropping down to general maths unless you are absolutely failing in 2unit. I am tutoring a guy in first year at the moment who totally regrets being lazy and dropping to general; he has so much to catch up on.

• for finance/commerce, you could probably get away with general because it's a piss easy degree anyway

Thanks, your reply really helped. I'm not absolutely failing in 2 unit, it's just that i don't have the time and dedication for it, i rather concentrate on my 10 units that counts as 2 unit maths is time consuming let alone fairly difficult. I guess i don't mind struggling doing the eco/commerce in uni, i'll just have work extra hard.

Commerce is like 95+ UAI, i don't think it's that easy.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Disadvantage: No calculus

If your planning on doing commerce/science/enineering at uni, ud want at least a basic background in calculus, which 2U gives you...

Failure_123

HSC

So what if i didn't do maths at all in high school only in year 11? i mean doing gen maths is like not doing any maths at all.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
General Maths is capped. At 91. If you get 100 it scales to 91. That's disgustingly terribad. That's why you don't do it. If you even make 1 mistake in the exam, it's no longer 91, it's well below. General Maths is a joke of a subject, you do learn statistics in Maths earlier than Year 11, and I believe you don't need more Statistis than that. You're wasting your time with General maths. 2U or nothing. if you need to do General, pick something else.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Disadvatanges:
- scales poorly
- not interesting
- there is multiple choice!
- structure of the exam is more confusing
- few uni courses have gen maths as recommended study
- easy => hence, more silly mistakes

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Disadvatanges:
- scales poorly
- not interesting
- there is multiple choice!
- structure of the exam is more confusing
- few uni courses have gen maths as recommended study
- easy => hence, more silly mistakes
Don't forget the reputation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)