General Education (Gen Ed) FAQ (1 Viewer)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
theres a poster/pamphlet u gotta make to advertise gens5001 to potential students, then a trip to the airport and a quiz, and final exam is 50 multiple choice i think.
Yeah, that's all the assessment for the class. I'm doing it at the moment. The pamphlet took me all of two hours to do, including the time it took me to install Photoshop. Very easy.

most of the people in the class were aviation nerds, they can tell a plane is an A330 just by looking at it, and whether an engine is an RR or a GE just by looking, so if you're a person like this then you'd fit in fine :)
This is also true. Very very true.

I'm still doing this class - it's actually quite interesting.. I've been to around 3/4 of the classes and some of the stuff is rather interesting. You've got to like planes in some way, though. Before this class I knew nothing about planes, except that I thought they were cool.. I was a bit daunted by all the people with such expansive knowledge of planes, but there's plenty to learn.

The airport tour was pretty funky as well - sitting around 50m away from a 747 taking off was something I'll remember for a while to come. The tour consists of running around the airfield in a bus and looking at everything that goes into the making and running of the airport on a day-to-day basis. It's pretty fascinating, if only for the statistics. I'd relay some, but my post will wind up turning into an essay.

So far the assessments have been really easy - all we have left is the exam in exam period. Seems like it's going to be pretty easy... Just a case of going over the lectures the night before.

All in all, it's an interesting course if you're open to learning about aviation. It helps if you're fairly interested in aircraft and the aviation industry.

Also, I swear I was the only white guy in the room during all of the classes. Scared me a little bit, coming from the Arts faculty.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Has anyone done Metals, Ceramics, Plastics - Building the Twenty First Century - GENS3501?

looks quite interesting, and easy, i might do it in summer sesh.

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
has anyone done gene1012 - Tools for Ecologically Sustainable Development in Corporations and Regions

it runs over three days during Week 0 in sem2

_santa

HSC
Has anyone done this:
GENT0504 Perf. and Practice of Music A

Do they assume you have some knowledge in music when you enrol?

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Hey, is anyone doing GENT0911 this semester? I have a tutorial tomorrow and it isn't up on webct yet:S

diana169

HSC
N/A
I'm confused, with the gen eds, am i only allowed to take the courses classfied as gen eds in the course handbook, or is it possible to do any course outside my faculty? if so, do i need to get permission from my school before enrolling?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I think you can do almost any course outside of your faculty as a gen-ed, just make sure you talk to your faculty about it before enrolling.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Whats the deal with 3uoc subjects required for your major? Looking at MATH2060. Can it be classed as a gen ed seeing as you're allowed 3uoc from the faculty of your degree, or not, because it's needed for the math major?

If it isn't a gen ed then it's going to completely rape my degree because its only 3uoc

EDIT: or should i just wait til 2011 and take it when they make all courses 6uoc :/

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Whats the deal with 3uoc subjects required for your major? Looking at MATH2060. Can it be classed as a gen ed seeing as you're allowed 3uoc from the faculty of your degree, or not, because it's needed for the math major?

If it isn't a gen ed then it's going to completely rape my degree because its only 3uoc

EDIT: or should i just wait til 2011 and take it when they make all courses 6uoc :/
Disregard that I suck cock, it's not offered as a gen ed. Anyone done it before? how the cunt does a 3uoc subject work? won't i finish my degree 3uoc short/over?

dawdlex3

HSC
Who has done gen eds from the Faculty of Medicine or Science?
I'm looking for some sem 2 or summer term ones to fit in later this year.

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A
Um, bumping this thread up.

So, Gen ed is basically anything besides the courses from your faculty. I'm a media student so it's arts and social science faculty it seems. does that mean I can't do anything within that faculty? i want to do a course that is related to improving vocabulary like

but since i'm in a media course, is it impossible for me to do these subjects? is it possible to somehow bypass this by emailing the head of the course or something? i mean, media and english really is two totally different subject materials so i was wondering if it is possible...

thanks in advance and sorry for my lack of knowledge with the ways general education are managed.

LordPc

HSC
probably not. gen ed states that the same faculty is off limits. there is a big difference between mathematics and psychology, but they art both sciences. theres a big difference between civil and electrical engineering, but both part of same faculty

unless you get approval from someone who is higher up, doing an english course will probably be one of your free electives rather than one of your gen eds

dawdlex3

HSC
Um, bumping this thread up.

So, Gen ed is basically anything besides the courses from your faculty. I'm a media student so it's arts and social science faculty it seems. does that mean I can't do anything within that faculty? i want to do a course that is related to improving vocabulary like

but since i'm in a media course, is it impossible for me to do these subjects? is it possible to somehow bypass this by emailing the head of the course or something? i mean, media and english really is two totally different subject materials so i was wondering if it is possible...

thanks in advance and sorry for my lack of knowledge with the ways general education are managed.
Hey. If you're doing Media like me, you're supposed to have 12 UOC of free electives throughout your 3-year program (assuming that your minor is without the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences). Therefore, you could take 2 of those Arts courses you want with those spots. Hope this helps!

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A
Hey. If you're doing Media like me, you're supposed to have 12 UOC of free electives throughout your 3-year program (assuming that your minor is without the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences). Therefore, you could take 2 of those Arts courses you want with those spots. Hope this helps!
Cheers,

oh btw,

so general education courses are on this list correct?

UNSW Handbook -

does that mean I can only take courses from that list only?

say I want to take BENV1042 (which is not listed there), I can't take them right? even if I do, they would not be considered gen ed would they?

thanks so much again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)