General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

lolrofllol

HSC
Re: Hsc 2009 bio exam

if the stomatas need to be open at night for gas exchange wouldnt they need to have a larger stomata size? B shows their stomata size is smaller at midnight indicating theyre closed so wouldnt that make it wrong?
But then again, plants need to photosynthesise in the morning, and D does not indicate they can photosynthesise because stomates need to be open for C02

Last edited:

Venom.

HSC
How are you blokes remembering the questions? We werent allowed to take the papers out?

MrDimple

HSC
dw, i did too o well i hoping to get a band 4, some people at my school found it difficult i couldn't blame them, we had like 4 different teachers for bio cause she was sick.

christoffpow

HSC
Updated answers to my knowledge of what is correct...

1. A or C
2. B
3. B
4. A
5. C
6. C
7. A
8. B
9. C
10. A
11. B or D (most likely.. B)
12. C
13. B
14. D
15. D
Question 1 is C (mutations lead to the generation of new alleles, crossing over in meiosis results in new allele COMBINATION, not 'new alleles'. They are different.

Question 11 is D.

q3thefish

HSC
It.. was not that easy.

Stop making me feel depressed T_T

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I wrote that screening for the breast cancer gene could lead to its removal from the human genome through abortion, but this would be unethical (lol all i could think of)
lol, i wrote it could reduce genetic diversity or something, biodiversity :p think i'm wrong

christoffpow

HSC
How are you blokes remembering the questions? We werent allowed to take the papers out?
My school could. The supervisors basically force the paper into your hands at my school, then smile and ask if you enjoyed the exam. Then they make conversation..

Seriously lol..

Bunzhou

HSC
Lol wtf ahaha

Aren't you allowed to take the white paper? You're not allowed to take the buffered papers out but you can take the white question papers that have multiple + options

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I wrote that screening for the breast cancer gene could lead to its removal from the human genome through abortion, but this would be unethical (lol all i could think of)
Yeah, I think that stimulus was stupid. The abortion thing first came to mind, but then it made me think - why would you abort the baby just because it has the 'risk' of getting breast cancer? Doesn't really make sense. People abort now because they know their child is going to develop down syndrome, etc, but with breast-cancer it's just a risk.

Bunzhou

HSC
What do you reckon the E4 cut-off mark will be??

Any suggestions

lizajane91

HSC
lol, i wrote it could reduce genetic diversity or something, biodiversity :p think i'm wrong
yeah i wrote this and also a positive thing could be that the screening could lead to the permanent loss of the braca 2 gene (which is what causes the girl to 80% chance to have breast cancer)

.euphoriccc.06.

HSC
Re: Hsc 2009 bio exam

Question 1 is C. For sure. I'm reading my textbook and i quote "New alleles in organisms come about as a result of mutations"

greatgreeks2

HSC
where would marks be gained in the 8 marker

i figure that 1 mark for examples + 1 mark for stating how genes are changed + what else

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I think question 11 is D because D shows a gradual slope (smallest during midday, largest during midnight). In B, the stomata are small at mightnight, which doesn't make much sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)