General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

Ekman

HSC
Did everyone do well???????

Is this the normal reaction to HSC english papers? Or is this different, indicating aligning will be super shit this year?
I personally think the aligning would change much, since it is first year for paper 1 and for certain modules in paper 2, so I think they might use us a benchmark, and change the alignment for future years based on the way we perform as a reference, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
I personally think the aligning would change much, since it is first year for paper 1 and for certain modules in paper 2, so I think they might use us a benchmark, and change the alignment for future years, but I could be wrong.
This is incorrect, the papers will be aligned against the same standards as previous years. So it could go anywhere really - just based on the questions I had, I think it will align worse but I don't know for sure.

Flop21

HSC
Is there somewhere I can check the STANDARDS of the bands from say a few years ago (not from <2002)????

lpodtouch

HSC
This is incorrect, the papers will be aligned against the same standards as previous years. So it could go anywhere really - just based on the questions I had, I think it will align worse but I don't know for sure.
What texts did you do for your modules?

Ekman

HSC
Yeah I thought about this as well. I guess we will really find out when the marks come back.

SlimiJay

HSC
did anyone do citizen kane? because i got raped. it asked the question had two parts and one of them was about vanity and i didnt know what that meant so didnt answer basically. whats the max i can get?

aanthnnyyy

HSC
Loved the questions so generic and adaptable. For mod c did it say ONLY ONE or ATLEAST one related because I did 2 just to help strengthen my argument :/. Apart from that 2 whole booklets for each question ^^

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Loved the questions so generic and adaptable. For mod c did it say ONLY ONE or ATLEAST one related because I did 2 just to help strengthen my argument :/. Apart from that 2 whole booklets for each question ^^
Just said one I think, would have to check the paper though

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Legit everyone sighed in relief when they saw module B speeches wasn't specified. Thank God. I wrote 6 pages for each but I feel unconfident now with all this confidence. Even the FB discussion group said it was easy..

Mr_Kap

HSC
Paper was not too hard not too easy.

1984 and Metropolis --> Basically wrote my memorised essay, adapted to question but it basically already answered the question. Spent 45 minutes here.

Speeches by Auden ---> Question was weird compared to what I had seen before. I had a good memorised essay but needed to change sections, but still it was fine overall. Only wrote around 1000 words for this. This took 45 minutes.

And now Hamlet. I always knew this was my worst module so I only left myself 30 minutes to write it in...meaning I could get around 850 words on this section. It isn't great, but it would have been fine. The question wasn't too difficult, had prepared for it, agreed with question however also said that Hamlet was a play about some other bullshit a critic said and explained his delay. FFS. BOSTES DESERVE TO ROT IN A GRAVE. THEY ONLY GAVE OUR SCHOOL 1 HOUR AND 55 MINUTES TO DO IT IN!!!!!!! THE GUY SAID TIME UP WITH 5 MINUTES LEFT, EVEN WHEN THE CLOCK IN THE ROOM AND THE WHITEBOARD SHOWED WE HAD ANOTHER 5 MINUTES.....MEANING I ONLY GOT 25 MINUTES FOR HAMLET AND wrote only around 720 words..... and I DIDN"T EVEN KNOW THE TIME WAS GONNA BE UP EARLY, SO I WAS MID SENTENCE. FUCK YOU BOSTES. WE told him and he was like, "i go by my stopwatch, I'm not responsible for the board or the clock".....and then we told him that we started on the clock at 9:35 and the time then was 11:30, and he was like, WE DON"T look at that...we only look at my stopwatch. WELL WHAT IF YOU FORGET TO RESET THE TIME AFTER READING TIME ON YOUR STOPWATCH!!!!!And no-one touched that fucken clock on the wall so how could it magically travel 5 minutes slower?? The other supervisors told him that we still had 5 minutes but he wouldn't even listen to them

FFS. RIP HAMLET. FUCK YOU BOSTES!!!

How is this even fair?

Last edited:

Catz

HSC
Can someone explain how aligning for English works? I'm worried

unrealism

HSC
Hey guys, just making sure, for those who did The Prince VS Julius Caesar for Mod A, it wanted us to talk about "morality" right? Just feeling uneasy that I might have read it wrong

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Can someone explain how aligning for English works? I'm worried
With every exam the board has a set of standards based on the descriptors for each band. For example, a band 6 student might make a sophisticated argument whilst a band 5 student might only make an effective argument. Each year the board will set particular standards for a response which will determine what band it falls into so that essentially a band 6 in any one year is the same quality as a band 6 in any other year. That process is applied to all exams including English. As with every other exam with options, however, English also has module scaling and elective scaling within those options. You may be familiar with this process of moderation from school if your candidature did multiple texts for each module. I'm not 100% sure on the process and you'd need someone more informed than I to tell you, but my understanding is that it just comes down to making sure that a 15 in speeches is the same as a 15 in itsoal. If you consider that last year's speeches question was an absolute bitch, that elective would have aligned well compared to say Hamlet.

Basically everyone gets aligned up in English though and if you had a comparatively hard set of question you'll get aligned up even more. Rest easy

atargainz

HSC
It said one, you dun goofed

Catz

HSC
With every exam the board has a set of standards based on the descriptors for each band. For example, a band 6 student might make a sophisticated argument whilst a band 5 student might only make an effective argument. Each year the board will set particular standards for a response which will determine what band it falls into so that essentially a band 6 in any one year is the same quality as a band 6 in any other year. That process is applied to all exams including English. As with every other exam with options, however, English also has module scaling and elective scaling within those options. You may be familiar with this process of moderation from school if your candidature did multiple texts for each module. I'm not 100% sure on the process and you'd need someone more informed than I to tell you, but my understanding is that it just comes down to making sure that a 15 in speeches is the same as a 15 in itsoal. If you consider that last year's speeches question was an absolute bitch, that elective would have aligned well compared to say Hamlet.

Basically everyone gets aligned up in English though and if you had a comparatively hard set of question you'll get aligned up even more. Rest easy
Oh i see

Thanks for explaining it! :)

Catz

HSC
So did anyone find this exam easier than discovery?

Mr_Kap

HSC
So did anyone find this exam easier than discovery?
yeh. I found it better because there was no creative, and no short answer. I prefer 3 essays, easier to manage time in rather than the short answer which takes like 50 minutes if i want to finish it fully. But idk if i did better in this paper than yesteday's because of the way BOSTES screwed our school over so my Hamlet essay is meh.

Catz

HSC
yeh. I found it better because there was no creative, and no short answer. I prefer 3 essays, easier to manage time in rather than the short answer which takes like 50 minutes if i want to finish it fully. But idk if i did better in this paper than yesteday's because of the way BOSTES screwed our school over so my Hamlet essay is meh.

Yeah same, short answer I stuffed up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)