General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (3 Viewers)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
how much do you think BOSTES wanted us to talk about "changing perspectives" in Mod A? that's got me worried :O I didn't mention it all :/

:/
If you talked about changes in contextual values (the purpose of Mod A) from Shelleys time to Scott's time - you basically answered that bit kinda.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
How did your Mod C go SSH?
Of my texts and elective I found that question to be the most straightforward. It fit really ridiculously well with my related and I some about how over time the truth reveals itself to predominate over fallacious perspectives, which actually seems to be really different to how everyone else interpreted the question which has me a little worried. I managed 7 pages, which I think is sort of an okay length, toward the lower end of the acceptable range. I didn't memorise anything so that's the kind of volume I was expecting. Mod C was the first one I did, it seemed like the easiest of the questions for my modules, which I wasn't expecting sknce it was actually my weakest module. My stance onMod B was weird af, the marker will read it and think I was high haha

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
tbh I don't understand why people didn't study every speech when they knew they could be tested on it... :/
Okay this will be the final time I am going to explain it.

The speech that was specified, is essentially the most lack lustre speech out of the selected ones to be studied. It was a poor decision for the board to even include it in the first place given that it is very narrow in thermatic concerns in contrast to the other speeches. The question was in regards to national unity, which in itself would be its own body paragraph in an essay. It would be extremely difficult to sustain this idea given that the speech lacks depth and insight. Hence they had already planned to get rid of this speech by next year. May I also add, that the speech to a degree goes against the entire module concern of ongoing resonance. The speech can easily be argued to be written for a single instance, carrying no future value.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
how much do you think BOSTES wanted us to talk about "changing perspectives" in Mod A? that's got me worried :O I didn't mention it all :/

:/
This! I mentioned the post-napoleonic wars for Shelley really briefly and just barely mentioned pollution for Scott and that was it :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC

The speech that was specified, is essentially the most lack lustre speech out of the selected ones to be studied. It was a poor decision for the board to even include it in the first place given that it is very narrow in thermatic concerns in contrast to the other speeches. The question was in regards to national unity, which in itself would be its own body paragraph in an essay. It would be extremely difficult to sustain this idea given that the speech lacks depth and insight. Hence they had already planned to get rid of this speech by next year. May I also add, that the speech to a degree goes against the entire module concern of ongoing resonance. The speech can easily be argued to be written for a single instance, carrying no future value.
Speeches really deserves to moderate highly this year, can't believe they specified that of all speeches.

harrypotterfan

HSC
bumping this Q of mine...
I think you should be okay as long as you demonstrated the shift in values over time by contextual differences. Using the words 'changing perspectives' at some points in your essay would have made it more clear, but generally if the idea comes through the essay the marker will know that you have implicity answered the question? I'm sure you did mention it (like the idea haha), its pretty integral to mod a. dw about it, done now

harrypotterfan

HSC

Yeah I understand that completely and I also think that speeches is probably the most difficult of all mod b texts (no idea why hamlet aligns better) but I just think that simply because a speech is lacklustre doesnt mean you don't pay attention to it-- its still in the syllabus and still very assessable (just unlikely). Its just like there are boring aspects of every subject (like what even physics... westinghouse vs edison? really how does that contribute to my understanding of the science of physics at all??) but you can't ignore them. It was pretty harsh of them to specify it, but like people (regardless of whether they do speeches or not) should consider it like a learning opportunity for future exams to leave NOTHING out of the syllabus. I certainly will haha

iStudent

HSC
Speeches really deserves to moderate highly this year, can't believe they specified that of all speeches.
Is it possible to get moderated into a 20/20? lol
Because I srsly don't think most people studied all speeches
I remember my teacher just giving us the transcript, told us to study it at home and that was the last we heard of it (we focused a lot more on the other speeches!)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
It was a pretty shit speech to specify tbh, it lacks the depth of a lot of the other ones they could have singled out if they had to pick one to examine.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC

encapsulated my thoughts exactly

respect for empathising with our pain

iStudent

HSC
Yeah I understand that completely and I also think that speeches is probably the most difficult of all mod b texts (no idea why hamlet aligns better) but I just think that simply because a speech is lacklustre doesnt mean you don't pay attention to it-- its still in the syllabus and still very assessable (just unlikely). Its just like there are boring aspects of every subject (like what even physics... westinghouse vs edison? really how does that contribute to my understanding of the science of physics at all??) but you can't ignore them. It was pretty harsh of them to specify it, but like people (regardless of whether they do speeches or not) should consider it like a learning opportunity for future exams to leave NOTHING out of the syllabus. I certainly will haha
Not everyone has that dedication :p
Besides, most people do prepare for more than two speeches. I think my teacher said about 4 or 5?
I just happens people skip Deane because it's difficult to talk about. (and study all the others! xD)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
It was a pretty shit speech to specify tbh, it lacks the depth of a lot of the other ones they could have singled out if they had to pick one to examine.
tbh i would rather them prescribe 4 speeches (that aren't deane's) and ask us to write a feature article in women's weekly

that's how much mod b makes me wanna cry

SuchSmallHands

HSC
It seems especially harsh since Yeats Mod B specified one of the most integral poems to the study, that has a lot of strong links to the rest of the module. But Yeats will moderate/align (I really don't know the difference sorry) like shit compared to speeches at least, which worries me a little since I was in the class that did Yeats, but I think it's only fair having see the number of kids in the speeches class who left that exam destroyed.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
I prepared for it. Still was hard tbh. Wasn't a nice question either because it really doesn't have enduring value but to have an essay you had to say it did pretty much :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)