General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (2 Viewers)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
I had a dream where mod a was about humanity, mod b specified my favourite poem for yeats and mod c was ONE related.

Two of my dreams came true so and I really liked the question for mod c. Mod a took a bit more effort but I'm pretty happy with today, mainly because it was all over hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i had a dream where

we didn't have to do english

everybody was still as illiterate as they are now because spell check.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
ASC is my second favourite poem after WSC! So much to talk about. Wowwww HAHAHAHA that is actually insane insight. I'm sure you'll do well for Yeats :D how did you find the other mods btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Insane was exactly what I was thinking too. I always go to the weirdest ideas in English, the question didn't let me use it (that's probably a good thing, otherwise the markers would probably have called my school to ask why they let me sit the exam when I was clearly tripping balls) but for mod c I had this weird ass point on how Mark Antony was subtly represented as less of a Roman because his name was Anglicised rather than left in the Latin Marcus Antonius. That was the weirdest argument I threw out in the past two years according the my teacher hahaha (but then he never saw my HSC exam, I was saving so much crazy in reserve haha). I never really studied ASC or Leda in class, we just sort of skipped them, same for The Second Coming and When You Are Old to a somewhat lesser extent. We only every properly studied three poems, the rest we had to do in our free time. I came up with some points about how he used the ottava rima structure to replicate the voice of a child but that was almost all I had, like you I had some notes on everything in case they specified a poem we hadn't properly done (easy for a little poem, a little harder for a full speech though I must admit!). I thought the Mod A question was a little left field, probably didn't discuss context enough. I talked about how technology was considered destructive in the aftermath of the Napoleonic wars for Shelley and how pollution is bad (so deep) for Scott. Mod C was probably the most accessible question, the one that didn't really throw me at all (inspiration for Yeats and individual recognition for Frankenrunner both took me aback a little, I didn't write any practice essays so I guess I wasn't too familiar with how questions are phrased (feel free to think I'm dumb/imprudent here by the way). Overall it was an okay paper, could have been better, could have been worse. I'm really scared about Yeats (partly because I went crazy, partly because I didn't address 'complexity') but other than that I'm hoping I went okay (not going to SR or anything, just want a band six hopefully - a rarity at my school hahaha)

Last edited:

Ronaldinho10

HSC
Please tell me i wasn't the only one they missed the fact that they gave us an extract to look at in Module B...
Feels bad, very bad.

TOWSHE

HSC
It didn't say to use the extract? Do you have to??? :O

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
Did anyone write about nature on humanity for Frankestein? My strongest paragraphs were about them but then I had to adapt bits of pieces of them into 2 long paragraphs on the dehumanising nature of science for fs and how replicants want life for br :( I had no idea how to do ~individual recognition~ so I just wrote about how the replicants and the creature had humanity that science wouldn't acknowledge

TOWSHE

HSC
Did anyone write about nature on humanity for Frankestein? My strongest paragraphs were about them but then I had to adapt bits of pieces of them into 2 long paragraphs on the dehumanising nature of science for fs and how replicants want life for br :( I had no idea how to do ~individual recognition~ so I just wrote about how the replicants and the creature had humanity that science wouldn't acknowledge
Yep ... same issue here - I made reference to ambition and the lack of humanity that arose due to Victors excessive lust for self - recognition ( Module A was very limiting imo)

Did you use the extract for mod b? It just said make detailed reference to Deane's speech :/

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep ... same issue here - I made reference to ambition and the lack of humanity that arose due to Victors excessive lust for self - recognition ( Module A was very limiting imo)

Did you use the extract for mod b? It just said make detailed reference to Deane's speech :/
I had yeats, which also had extract. I used it and my own knowledge. Unfortunately, the poem asked wasn't one I knew very well - I studied a different poem about swans lol.

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
Yeah, For FrankenRunner I wrote about the destructive components of the blinding desire for individual recognition, as well as the idea that the desire for individual recognition is what constitutes humanity. I linked the 'changing perspectives' part of the question well for the first idea, but not so much for the second lol I feel bad, did my second idea even make sense? + I don't think I wrote enough about context

ConorDevaney

HSC
questions were fairly, luckily cloudstreet excerpt was generic and holistic to the nature about the whole book, but i was prepared for spirituality and they asked about family, so needed some serious bullshit to make it link well. Mod A & C were good questions, i reckon the mod c question was easier for us as conflicting perspectives as it was all about the power the composer has to show their perspective rather than the truth.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest I'm not even sure anymore. I spoke about how the lake was a symbol of Ireland that was physically occupied by the swans (which I claimed were a symbol of English protection because the queen owns all the mute swans in Britain) and that Yeats was wondering if the sentimental *inspiration* for the pursuit of independence amounted to the tangible benefits of colonialism. Like wtf was I even doing hahahahaha
If it makes you feel better when we were doing the poem 'red' by Ted Hughes my class thought I was crazy with my analysis...
( if anyone in my english class sees this hi :0 )

someslovak

HSC
Uni Grad
I got up at 5 a.m. to make sure I knew all speeches.... So glad I went over Deane!!!...I linked enduring value to his Donne quote but struggled with this part of the question. Averaged four booklets for each question though which was pretty awesome

iStudent

HSC
It's like most who did speeches either:
-didn't prepare for Deane whatsoever
-'looked' at it yesterday night or this morning

How many people actually wrote paragraphs beforehand complete with analysis context and everything? lol

ushnakhalid

HSC

How many people actually wrote paragraphs beforehand complete with analysis context and everything? lol
i had paragraphs of analysis/context/relevance but i didn't look at it properly till the night before lmao but tbh thankgod i did

HSC
tbh I don't understand why people didn't study every speech when they knew they could be tested on it... :/

nobodygottimefordat.png

For Deane's speech I looked over it the previous night got two quotes for unity (because that was going to be the theme I would be using) and then just spun it off as "provides a sense of unity for their national identity", I'm just really glad they didn't ask anything about Atwood's speech, didn't even read that :S And didn't really bother with Su kyi's one since already assessed :p

HSC
Okay this will be the final time I am going to explain it.

The speech that was specified, is essentially the most lack lustre speech out of the selected ones to be studied. It was a poor decision for the board to even include it in the first place given that it is very narrow in thermatic concerns in contrast to the other speeches. The question was in regards to national unity, which in itself would be its own body paragraph in an essay. It would be extremely difficult to sustain this idea given that the speech lacks depth and insight. Hence they had already planned to get rid of this speech by next year. May I also add, that the speech to a degree goes against the entire module concern of ongoing resonance. The speech can easily be argued to be written for a single instance, carrying no future value.
But they haven't planned to get rid of it. Its in the 2015 syllabus (which I find really weird since they removed both Bandler and Su kyi which have been assessed)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC

Yes! Thank God I did! I did the Deane speech for an assignment earlier in the year, so I have the most notes on his

HSC
Please tell me i wasn't the only one they missed the fact that they gave us an extract to look at in Module B...
Feels bad, very bad.
Oh thank gosh I'm not alone! I just thought it was someone writing a review or something and I was like "lel don't have time for dat", but that paragraph would have helped so muchhhh ughh.

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Oh thank gosh I'm not alone! I just thought it was someone writing a review or something and I was like "lel don't have time for dat", but that paragraph would have helped so muchhhh ughh.
I suspect that while a detailed analysis of the extract would be rewarded, you'll be okay if your essay touched on the themes in the extract etc.

HSC
I kinda did a little, like I talked about how social factors can impact the purity of beings, not sure if I managed to make it relevant or not to the question though XD

I ran out of things in the text to talk about so I ended up spinning it off into the composers desire for individual recognition by relating to the context of the time, not sure if I was meant to or not though XD And tbh "so I just wrote about how the replicants and the creature had humanity that science wouldn't acknowledge " that doesn't sound too bad. How'd you go with changing perspectives? I really only referred to it once about Victor creating his monster :S

I suspect that while a detailed analysis of the extract would be rewarded, you'll be okay if your essay touched on the themes in the extract etc.
Thanks, I hope so :) Though I didn't really detail too much on it, it was my smallest speech information actually, I just hope that my other speeches good analysis make up for it a bit *fingers crossed*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)