General Thoughts: Mathematics Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

Wentworth

HSC
Re: Wow, fuck that

and wtf was up with question 7, related fucking rates LOL, usually projectile isn't it? I think 2011 is the year BOS decided to experiment; changing the 4u test structure, AOS is all on place, 3unit has related rates as question 7 o_O ... shit I bet physics next week asks about the scientists contribution to rocketry.

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
For SHM:

Amplitude = 2
So doesn't x reach 2, come back to 0 (2), travel to -2 (2) and back to 0?
ie distance = 4(2)
= 8 ?

HSC

part (ii).

I thought it was just dV/dt = dl/dt x dV/dl
i usually use implicit differentiation for rates questions, so when i saw it wasn't working i think i panicked and forgot you could also use the chain rule lol

how great is retrospect! (it isn't)

Implying

HSC

shit I bet physics next week asks about the scientists contribution to rocketry.
that would be a pain in the ass

i'm just hoping that for SOR1 they give another integrated question otherwise i'm fucked
shit, i should probably study for that now aye

eyeswideshut

HSC

okay I'm a 4u student and I found this really hard. What was the restriction on the y coordinate for 3biv?
and how did people do ii) and iii) of the circle geo? I found that harder than the 4u circle geo o.o
hoping for 60/84

damo_g

HSC
It was negative value like you meant to subtract 1 hour 14 minutes from 10am..I added it cause I thought negative was not right...sigh
Dammit i'm so angry with that. I just rewrote the equation with the numbers i used and got the same value. Used the negative time and ended up with 8:46. How many marks do you think i will get for getting the correct time, but not working out the time of day?

Wentworth

HSC

okay I'm a 4u student and I found this really hard. What was the restriction on the y coordinate for 3biv?
and how did people do ii) and iii) of the circle geo? I found that harder than the 4u circle geo o.o
hoping for 60/84
I think it was y<1/4 GOD PLEASE LET IT BE THAT!!

Nympha

HSC

but couldnt work out dV/dl

Didn't you just have to differentiate the volume with respect to l? Ie. Take h as a constant.

And overall I thought the exam was pretty doable. There was nothing obscenely hard, it just required more time to nut stuff out. Fingers crossed for 75+/84

Last edited:

silence--

HSC

the test was so fucking long! and weird...

does anyone else think the style of questions are just so different this year?

like for everything. 4u, english, etc.

i'd be lucky to get ~70 for this one (was getting high 70s on past hscs)

ugh.
HSC :/

also i got:
8:48am or something around that for the time question
y < 1/4 for the restriction on y for the locus
can't remember anything else

damo_g

HSC

dV/dl = d/dx(pi/3(h^3 - l^3) = pi/3(-3l^2) = -3pi l, that's how I did it anyway, its prob wrong I had 5 mins to go then so was rushing.
That's what i got, was rushing like crazy too. Had to do what i could see straight away of questions 7 so i could go back and fix up the math induction that i fuked up (got it out, just made a stupid mistake when factorising earlier).

friend177

HSC
Dammit i'm so angry with that. I just rewrote the equation with the numbers i used and got the same value. Used the negative time and ended up with 8:46. How many marks do you think i will get for getting the correct time, but not working out the time of day?
1/3 actually normally 2 for working out 1 for final answer

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

Fml I didn't study SMH a single bit..I thought projectile motion will be more than SMH.
oh man the opposite for me, i was so lucky.

totally gave up on projectiles in the last few days, prepared to screw it, and did 2hrs of shm this morning hahahha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)