General Thoughts: Mathematics Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

mirachael

HSC
Depends on state candidature, I'm leaning towards no. My guess is

1 mark for identifying the two relevant angles are equal.

1 mark for making the connection regarding the converse of the alternate segment theorem.
Yeah I hope so. I'm pretty sure I got everything else. Is it true that they remark your paper to look for things like this if you get 100%?

RIP3U

HSC
N/A
OKAY HOLD UP BOYS.

I GOT A QUESTION.

QUESTION ELEVEN B (rain)

The question asks that you "write an expression for the probability that it rains on fewer than 3 days in November"

Considering this, i only worked out P(1 days) + P(2 days) since with (0 days), it doesn't rain, thus shouldn't be included in the probability that it "rains on fewer than 3 days".

THOUGHTS? (pls i wouldn't mind not losing a mark trollface.jpg)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
OKAY HOLD UP BOYS.

I GOT A QUESTION.

QUESTION ELEVEN B (rain)

The question asks that you "write an expression for the probability that it rains on fewer than 3 days in November"

Considering this, i only worked out P(1 days) + P(2 days) since with (0 days), it doesn't rain, thus shouldn't be included in the probability that it "rains on fewer than 3 days".

What?? Probability it doens't rain on fewer than 3 days includes the possibility of it not raining at all so you need P(0 days) in your answer??

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
OKAY HOLD UP BOYS.

I GOT A QUESTION.

QUESTION ELEVEN B (rain)

pretty sure fewer than 3 includes 0

kimsungho

l0l
HSC
Plz someone do the locus Q T_T I finished ~30 minutes early and then spent almost all my time on it and still couldn't do it fml... I'm so curious now
slope of ot was t, .'. y=tx .'. t=y/x -> x coordinate of T to get the locus

anthonygonzal

HSC
Can anyone clarify Q11 A) marking.... i stupidly expanded the whole thing out. resulting in a quartic. From here i didnt have the time to figure out the solutions. So would i get any marks out of 3 for having the quartic equation equal to 0?

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Can anyone clarify Q11 A) marking.... i stupidly expanded the whole thing out. resulting in a quartic. From here i didnt have the time to figure out the solutions. So would i get any marks out of 3 for having the quartic equation equal to 0?
Let , which gives a quadratic. Solve quadratic for u, then sub that into (1) to find the values of x for which the equation holds.

anthonygonzal

HSC
Let , which gives a quadratic. Solve quadratic for u, then sub that into (1) to find the values of x for which the equation holds.
yeh... i know that this is how you do it. Although not believable during reading time, i easily saw this... yet after MC, I just didnt and couldn't see how.

What I'm asking is, would i get 0/3? I know this is probably what i'll get for it...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You probably would not be awarded marks for that.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
that's not really what he was asking...
yeh... i know that this is how you do it. Although not believable during reading time, i easily saw this... yet after MC, I just didnt and couldn't see how.

What I'm asking is, would i get 0/3? I know this is probably what i'll get for it...
All I see at the moment is "Can anyone clarify Q11 A) marking.... i stupidly expanded the whole thing out."...Idk I've been having some display issues lately I'll use my phone.

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
You probably would not be awarded marks for that.
I just realised I used the same method but I arrived at the answer: (x-1)^2(x-2)^2 = 0 but I forgot to write the solutions of x which are 1 and 2.. could I get 2/3 hopefully?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I just realised I used the same method but I arrived at the answer: (x-1)^2(x-2)^2 = 0 but I forgot to write the solutions of x which are 1 and 2.. could I get 2/3 hopefully?
Amazing that you actually managed to factorise the quartic!

You will most certainly get 2/3, but there is a SLIGHT possibility of you getting 3/3 if the markers are lenient. Remember, the HSC markers don't necessarily strictly follow the marking criteria.

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
Amazing that you actually managed to factorise the quartic!

You will most certainly get 2/3, but there is a SLIGHT possibility of you getting 3/3 if the markers are lenient. Remember, the HSC markers don't necessarily strictly follow the marking criteria.
Ah ok awesome! Yeah ikr, I was thinking "holyyyy shit why is the first question so hard, fml... today is gonna be a bad day". I feel so dumb now lol

britaker

HSC
Skipped about 15 marks worth of questions. :lol:
Ah, well. I'm on 11 units, extension maths shouldn't have to count!

RIP3U

HSC
N/A
What?? Probability it doens't rain on fewer than 3 days includes the possibility of it not raining at all so you need P(0 days) in your answer??
The question doesn't ask for when it doesn't rain, it asks for "the probability that it rains on fewer than 3 days", which shouldn't include zero days since no rain occurs :detective:

iStudent

HSC
The question doesn't ask for when it doesn't rain, it asks for "the probability that it rains on fewer than 3 days", which shouldn't include zero days since no rain occurs :detective:
You're making me question my reading ability :(
Inb4

LikeaTeapot

HSC
lol I somehow didn't make the connection of using 'u' in the first question either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)