General Uni questions... (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Ok heres the deal. Right now I am a qualified EEN (TAFE) and want to go to Uni next year. While the most logical choice is for me to go and do Nursing at Uni, I know there are alot of other things I want to try as well.

My question is, if I complete an undergrad BNursing, can I return and do more undergraduate degrees? I'd prefer to do it in this order - the degree will be 2 years, and by doing that ill increase not only my income, but my employment opportunities will increase enormously. Right now, this degree is nothing more than a formality for me to be recognised and payed for the work I'm already doing. (I pretty much do an RNs job now). So if I do the RNs degree, then I will be able to support myself through any other study i wish to undertake.

Fuck I rant, but thats the simple question - can I complete more than one undergraduate degree? Do the rules change for the second degree?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
lol.
You can do whatever you want after your nursing degree. You can decide, hell, I hate nursing, and go off and do an Arts degree...

So yeah, you can do undergrad or post grad, so depending on whether you want to stay in nursing, you may even want to consider a postgrad degree like a Masters in Nursing, or Masters in Public Health Policy, etc etc.

But yeah, you can do what you like.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
On a related subject, given i've almost completed my degree, but have a shit GPA, if I wanted to do another undergraduate degree in the future post-graduation, would I be able to use my UAI, without my GPA being considered? If I was to change degrees now, pre-graduation, could I do so solely on the basis of my UAI?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Some unis use 50/50 UAI and GPA but it'd depend on the uni.
Alternatively if you're 21> you can apply as a mature aged student and they won't consider your UAI?

Not sure what you mean by pre graduation. Are you considering not graduating from this degree and transferring to another?

Have a look at the uni website, generally they should outline all the admission requirements.

edit: Is it a similar degree, will you get credits?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
katie tully said:
edit: Is it a similar degree, will you get credits?
Yeah that, and I just like to know my options

The UAI requirements at Newcastle for all courses have dropped by a huge amount since I entered, so there's much more choice than I ever had. B. Podiatry sounds handy.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Lawl, crusty foot burgers.

Well in that case, you'd apply as a non-school leaver and it'd be based on your UAI and/or any further studies you did. So whether you went 50/50 or applied on your UAI alone would be up to you.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
If you are reliant on Youth Allowance/Austudy during your studies (which I doubt as nurses can do shift work) then there are issues if you have done a degree previously (its one of those Centrelink fine print things).... but if you aren't - go nuts!

There are limitations also if you are using FEE-HELP rather than HECS to pay for the course, but most places are Commonwealth Supported/HECS places.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Thanks everyone for your replys. I can't believe I've gone so long thinking I couldn't do more than one undergrad degree unless it was a double hehe.

Blerkles: Yep, thats the plan! Once I do undergrad nursing my pay goes up and I can easily support myself. And yeah, HECS all the way.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
look and investigate have the same interpretation. it is redundant to use both in the same sentence. i suggest you correct it to:

Might like to have a look and do some investigation here:

and since you are so uptight about spelling as well, you might want to replace unis with universities

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)