general UNSW chit-chat (1 Viewer)

rand0m3r

HSC
damn, can you guys stop laying the smackdown on politik. this is too funny.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
If it intersected at Wolli Creek (see my fantastic drawing for more detail) then:

Sutherland & East Hills:

a) The Sutherland people could get off at Wolli Creek and wait for an East Hills train to take them around the airport, but instead of going to Green Square and Mascot, the train could divert and head to UNSW. Once UNSW is passed, it would continue through Bondi Junction and into the city.

b) The East Hills/Campbelltown people could get off at Wolli Creek and wait for a Sutherland train to pick them up, and that train would continue through the Eastern Suburbs in reverse, rather than the direction it heads now

c) If Cityrail didn't want to offer services from East Hills/Campbelltown or Sutherland through to UNSW, then everyone on these two lines would have to aligh at Wolli Creek and get a different train service through to the Eastern Suburbs line inc. UNSW.

Everyone else:

a) Get off at Redfern and wait for a train that would go through the Eastern Surburbs line

b) Get off at Central and wait for a train that would go through the Eastern Suburbs line

This plan does have several limitations. The Sutherland line, is by my knowledge the busiest and most used line in the cityrail network. Even if that's not true, then both lines are incredibly busy during peak hourse. This raises the point that peak hour trains would probably not divert through the Eastern Surburbs and all students would have to alight at Wolli Creek for a new service.

If my plan was the plan that they'd take, then Wolli Creek would have to be expanded. Judging from what I see on Google Earth, this wouldn't be much of a problem, as Wolli Creek station sits on dilapidated wetlands and a car park.

The airport line would also have to be brought by the state government, so there would be no bitchy private owner to complain about no commuters through Green Square and Mascot. They were foolish to add the airport line in the first place, absolutely foolish.

As a point of interest, I believe that it could bring the overall level of UNSW up to USyd's level of reputation. From what I've heard, most people prefer Sydney due to it's supposed central location and ease to get to. Personally, I don't regard a 15 minute walk to the university anymore inconvinient than a 15 bus trip, but that's just me. Alas, more people would want to go to UNSW if it's got a reputation of being easier to get to, which would bring it's reputation up.

HSC
getting to unsw on a weekend is a pain - 393s/395s only run from central every half an hour. so if you've got a weekend test, id suggest getting to central extra early or catching a cab instead [apparently its just $3.40 if split between 4 people]. i learned the hard way today.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
politik said:
Well, its not as if the location has really held UNSW down anyway. We still compete with USYD very well, and in terms of Graduate Outcomes, UNSW is still ahead. Catching a Bus to UNSW isn't much of a downside. But, a train link would be useful.
So...what has held UNSW down? What makes people favour Sydney over UNSW so much? Alumni? Architecture? Age? Programs offered? Layout? Location? Proximity to RPA?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
So...what has held UNSW down? What makes people favour Sydney over UNSW so much? Alumni? Architecture? Age? Programs offered? Layout? Location? Proximity to RPA?
age. buildings. asian overpopulation.

elfm

HSC
people go to usyd because of their relatively higher uai cutoffs and better perceived reputation and prestige

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'd do it if I

a) Needed to do GenEd
b) Was able to do GenEd
c) Had the time to do GenEd for fun

I have none of those things

Elfm said:
people go to usyd because of their relatively higher uai cutoffs and better perceived reputation and prestige
Yes, people go there because there are higher cutoffs, and the cutoffs are higher because more people want to go there. But what is the root of that problem? I tend to agree with Frigid in that it is due to Sydney's age and architecture (and layout) in comparison to UNSW.

gman03

HSC
Has Lazarus (of BOS) graduated? How come I don't see him around (assume I know what he looks like)?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
politik said:
I guess it's the prestige. But it was that exact prestige that drew me away from USYD - not to it.
By prestige, it's the NAME of sydney that people are drawn to. It's previous reputations in the past have traditionally been the best, so people automatically assume it still must be the best.

Sucks to be them.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Maybe Sydney is just better for some useless degrees like arts?

elfm

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yes, people go there because there are higher cutoffs, and the cutoffs are higher because more people want to go there.
Not always. For example in engineering, UNSW's cutoffs are lower because they offer a lot more positions than sydney uni does. Engineering courses previously had probably the majority of the cutoffs under 80 for UNSW which effectively makes it look like there's a lot of crappy courses (to the uninformed) in UNSW. 85 is a bit more respectable now though

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Did anyone favour USyd above UNSW on their preferences? I know I sure did, and failed :p

I'll keep trying though. What is it that draws me to USyd (I wanted to get everyone elses opinions first)? The location. I think it's a much nicer area...that is all.

Also, Drewboy, your map is terrible as it excludes the East Hills line. Put a "Camden Station" that uses a high speed train link to Central and I'll be eternally happy.

gman03

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Did anyone favour USyd above UNSW on their preferences?
Till date I am still trying to find a reason on why I should do EE at Usyd.. any takers?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
You like the odour of sandstone?
From some time ago on IRC:

<cro_angle> hey see the $590 student activity fee u have to pay for usyd.. what does that go to
<babydoll_> more sandstone

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
So what appears on the academic transcript besides grades/majors and honours.

If your on the academic baord is that written on the transcript? What else, I havent seen the UNSW transcript only the MQ ones - and they have a box/section that indicates special things you have achieved.

gman03

HSC
MedNez said:
From some time ago on IRC:

<cro_angle> hey see the $590 student activity fee u have to pay for usyd.. what does that go to
<babydoll_> more sandstone
So if I vote for babydoll_, I would expect more sandstone in UNSW? mad!

Is the thing near the stairs leading to CLB a fountain or broken sewage pipe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)