general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Curry said:
Also, seremify007, why would you put you're stupid UAI and what courses you did and stuff on your sig. Seems so arrogant.
I've had it there for a long time now... it dates back to before HSC when everyone had their "UAI estimates" and what subjects they did in their sig. I just left it there because sometimes I still go back to those subject boards and answer a few questions. Also submit resources regarding those subjects. Basically, if people see it, then they know what subjects I did and if they choose to ask about it, they can.

It wasn't intended to be arrogant or show off considering I was ranked.. what.. crap in my school and am far below average UAI-wise?.

Curry said:
Yeah. I'm jealous. He beat me by heaps of points. Nearly like one.

Like blacky said, no one cares, which is why it seems arrogant to put it on your signature. I could go around putting "96 UAI, 4th in the state for SC, Co-op scholar, I will earn more $ than you" etc..:rofl:
Obviously you must care because otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to comment on it. Noone else (but you) has kicked up a whinge.

And for the record, I don't put where I work or what scholarship/blah I have (nb. I don't have one to put anyway) despite seeing other people do. I just put it there merely as a reference to say What I'm doing now.

If you don't like it- too bad for you.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Tom Ruprecht said:
- The Roundhouse
- Volunteer activities
- Artsweek
- O-Week - UNSW has the biggest O-Week campaign out of all the NSW unis, that's what makes our campus life so vibrant.
- Esmes
- Coffee Republic
- Zippys
- That photocopy/printing/binding place at Blockhouse
- Music rooms and computer rooms.
- Staff for those facilities.
These are all luxuries (which are overpriced anyway as though they weren't subsidised). If students want to enjoy these, they should be prepared to pay whatever price it costs, without subsidisation. The tax analogy doesn't apply since tax pays for absolute necessities such as: roads (helping people get to work -> keeping the economy running), hospitals (keeping people alive), police (keeping people safe) etc. Yes some tax is wasted, but at least a portion of it is used for important purposes, unlike the student activity fees.

gman03

HSC
Tom Ruprecht said:
People should pay for these things.

You make union fees sound like it is their ONLY source of revenue.

They are already second-rate facilities, with or without VSU.

Again if we decide to use the facilites, we will pay for them, just not pay to those we never use (e.g. Music Room, are they for general access anyway?)

And parties, they will not cease to exist, is just that unsw students will have to pay like others.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I support VSU to an extent. Some things/services should be provided by student union, in which case it's okay to charge some union fees- but the $200+ I think is extortion- esp if you're someone who doesn't do anything beyond go to class and go home.

G

Gavvvvvin

Tom Ruprecht said:
People should pay for these things. It's like high school fees. If you went to a public school, technically you didn't have to pay anything - you didn't have to pay basic photocopying costs, course materials costs, P&C and Foundation fees, or school sport costs. But if you wanted to play afternoon basketball or touch footy, you could and wouldn't have to fork out a fortune.

Your Union fees pay for so much more than sport.

They pay for:
- The Roundhouse
- Volunteer activities
- Artsweek
- O-Week - UNSW has the biggest O-Week campaign out of all the NSW unis, that's what makes our campus life so vibrant.
- Esmes
- Coffee Republic
- Zippys

Lots of people use those facilities, and you'd like them too if you made the most of your fees and used them too.

Unlike other unis, we don't have as many impressive alumni to give huge donations.

Paying fees means that this uni doesn't go down the drain and have second-rate facilities, because that will surely be the result once VSU comes in.

Yeah, well lots of people such as myself cant afford to use these facilties, or have no use for them whatsoever. Personally, I'd prefer not having to fork out my hard earned money so some snooty bastard can walk around drinking subsidised coffee, while I cant even afford a sandwhich to eat.

T

Tom Ruprecht

Wow. I feel so popular here.

People choose to attend university to educate them in a suitable area for their career.
You are absolutely right. But I think that I am also absolutely right in saying that getting involved in the volunteer programs that the Union provides enhances employability. I think we're lucky at UNSW to have an active Union that is very efficient and accountable in the services it provides. It's also streamlined - all programs and facilities are there for a reason - and that's to improve students' practical skills.

Again if we decide to use the facilites, we will pay for them, just not pay to those we never use (e.g. Music Room, are they for general access anyway?)
The Music Rooms, Training Rooms, Computer Rooms, Dance Studio and everything in the Blockhouse is free for students to use.

You're kidding right? If the uni. doesn't have any money, how come it's constantly under a state of construction build all these buildings?
The uni doesn't have much money. Unis are underfunded, and the law faculty is having quite a few problems of its own financially. The law building was long overdue. As a Usyd student once said (smite him!) "I don't call a couple of floors stacked on top of the library a Law School". You'd be surprised at how many facilities on campus are actually provided by the Student Union.
Ever had to queue for a computer at the library? Did you know that there are free computers at the Blockhouse to use? 2 computer rooms. And print/internet access sttations at that Printing place.

I think that once all the law students move to lower campus, they'll suddenly realise how useful all the union facilities down there are. That is my opinion and prediction, its subjective and fallible. Please don't debate me on this point.

And plus, it's just NICE. To have stuff around when you need it. Once you start working, you'll realise that all those activities you got involved in at uni were fun, and they helped.

wind

HSC
Food for thought:

---

Childcare

The Postgraduate Board is a primary sponsor of the two student based childcare centres on campus – House at Pooh Corner and The Honeypot. PGB representatives sit on, and are active within, the Boards of Management of each centre.

Waiting lists at UNSW childcare centres hover around 700 children. Many parents don’t even bother to put their children in the waiting lists. These excessive waiting lists pose a serious barrier to students wishing to take up postgraduate positions at UNSW. The waiting list is so extensive at the Honeypot that the Board of Management recently decided to close the list rather than falsely raise parents’ hopes by listing them.

If a student is lucky enough to get a place for their child they must face the burden of high fees. Only the student organisations such as the Postgraduate Board subsidise campus childcare centres, and student money built the centres. The University owns the land on which the centres exist, but does not contribute to operational costs.

Implications of Proposed Legislation for this Service

The proposed introduction of VSU will only place a greater financial burden on postgraduate students with children. Currently the UNSW Postgraduate Board makes donations of around $25,000 (or 9% of the Board’s budget) to the student childcare centres on campus. With the proposed legislation this donation will be eliminated and the cost of childcare will rise accordingly for students.

I am a Postgrad student and I have three children, two of whom are under school age. I am writing to express my horror on being told that there is no on-campus child care available. On application to Pooh Corner and Honeypot I was told that there is a three year wait for a place for a two year old. This not only means that I am unable to access childcare for my existing children on campus until 2009 (when they will have started school), but also that I will need to book a place 'just in case' I fall pregnant anytime in the next two years.

This is an equity issue. Women are still primarily responsible for childcare. Higher education is not an available option for women with children unless adequate quality childcare places are available. It is imperative that a significant proportion of these be on-campus infant places (for under two year olds) to enable breastfeeding mothers to drop in and feed their little ones when required.​

Financial modelling carried out for the Honeypot Childcare Centre indicates that if keeping the current organisational structure, sessional care costs to students will rise by $20 per day (55% rise) and long day care places will rise by $23 per day (also 55% increase). The increase could be reduced if the number of sessional and casual places were reduced and replaced with long day care places, however, this negates the flexible philosophy under which the centre was established and discriminates against international students (approximately 20% of the centre’s users) who cannot access the Federal childcare benefit for long day care.

International postgraduate students are a key component to UNSW developing a respected reputation abroad as a leading tertiary institution. The proposed legislation will particularly affect International students as they are not eligible for Federal government childcare subsidies (unless AUSAID sponsored). That means that they end up paying anything up to three times more for the same childcare place as local students.

Under the proposed legislation there will be no independent student voice lobbying for changes to the legislation, or to fight to keep the costs manageable.

This lack of available and affordable childcare means a lack of access to education.

---

Joint Postgraduate Board/ Student Guild Activities

Through PGB contributions to the Student Guild, postgraduates are also able to access:
  • Free legal advice provided by a qualified solicitor
  • Advice and advocacy on income support and other welfare issues
  • Funding of clubs and societies and provision of a resource centre
  • International students department
  • Indigenous students department
  • Lesbian students’ and gay students’ departments
  • Environment department

Implications of Proposed Legislation for this Service

It is expected that the Guild will be unable to maintain these services under the proposed legislation. The value of the independence of these services, particularly the Solicitor (the availability of whom 80% of postgraduates rated as important to extremely important), is unquantifiable.

http://oldwww.pgb.unsw.edu.au/conte...on to Senate Inquiry into VSU Legislation.pdf

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Blah blah blah, bling bling bling blah, we don't have to pay uni fees next year, you lose!

People should pay for these things. It's like high school fees. If you went to a public school, technically you didn't have to pay anything - you didn't have to pay basic photocopying costs, course materials costs, P&C and Foundation fees, or school sport costs. But if you wanted to play afternoon basketball or touch footy, you could and wouldn't have to fork out a fortune.
I don't quite understand your point. I went to a public school because my parents couldn't afford to pay hefty fees for an arguably better education (one of my main political hatred's). Alas, those things still existed because the parents of the children paid the contributions to keep those things there. If we want something (that the government is unwilling to pay for), we'll pay for it. I don't care for what my student fees offer me, therefore I don't want to pay for it.

Your Union fees pay for so much more than sport.

They pay for:
- The Roundhouse
- Volunteer activities
- Artsweek
- Esmes
- Coffee Republic
- Zippys
The roundhouse, zippy's, esmes & coffee republic could all survive without student contributions. I wouldn't object to paying that 30c extra on my bottle of Coke to make up for the lost fees funds, as I would be using those services, I believe my money should be paying for them.

Volunteer activities, in theory, don't need money. O-week could easily function without a whole lot of money, as could arts week.

If you need to use a photocopier, go to the library. If you have no money, take it to your tutor, they'll copy it for you if they're nice people. Problem solved.

Lots of people use those facilities, and you'd like them too if you made the most of your fees and used them too.
No, I don't like people that steal $250 from me each term.

Unlike other unis, we don't have as many impressive alumni to give huge donations.
Doesn't something like 50% of UNSW's funding come from private grants?

[quotePaying fees means that this uni doesn't go down the drain and have second-rate facilities, because that will surely be the result once VSU comes in.[/quote]

That's a scare tactic. The only thing I can see really suffering if VSU comes in is Tharunka and Blitz. I'll be more than happy to pay a buck or two to get my copy of Tharunka every few weeks, it'll be much more satisfying than seeing $250 of mine go toward worthless facilities and discounts that I don't use.

stamos

sellout
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
The roundhouse, zippy's, esmes & coffee republic could all survive without student contributions.
doesn't the roundhouse run at a loss that is subsidised by student fees

you're not as smart as you think you are eh champ

stamos

sellout
HSC
anyway if people got a fucking job they'd realise that $250 isn't a great deal of money

and if they do have a job and still think that, then they have to be so cheap

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
stamos said:
anyway if people got a fucking job they'd realise that $250 isn't a great deal of money

Riiiiiight....
I would like you to give me $250, to which you will get nothing in return other than...Thanks.

stamos

sellout
HSC
it works as an incentive for people to involve themselves in campus life

i'm all for marginalising and exploiting people who show up and go home

G

Gavvvvvin

stamos said:

Well if $250 is so little to you, then you wouldnt mind having to pay an extra 30c for your bottle of coke instead of getting people like me to pay for your fucking subsidies.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
stamos said:
doesn't the roundhouse run at a loss that is subsidised by student fees

you're not as smart as you think you are eh champ
If it runs at a loss, I'm going to make the guess that it simply doesn't do enough business to justify its continued operation. If it doesn't do enough business, then its hardly worth keeping open.

Anyway, I don't particular feel like continuing this conversation any longer, because I don't have to subsidide your lousy sports organisations or lousy restaruants next year, therefore, I win. *dances*

phrred

HSC
that would be like closing one of UNSWs icons

Anyway, anyone see the article on the med student in the sun herald?

Raginsheep

HSC
stamos said:

You're a fuking idiot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)