general UNSW chit-chat (2 Viewers)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard there is a university wide initiative to kill off 3 unit geneds and have people take 2 regular first year courses in their place... A sudden outbreak of common sense, is it not?
More like an outbreak of cost cutting, I think (less courses to run = less cost). In this case it happens to coincide with common sense...

Actually, I think teaching science students how to communicate is a good idea, but I don't think that SCOM courses are the way to do it. I think it should be done on a departmental basis and incorporated into every unit in the faculty. Many maths students need to learn how to communicate with muggles about mathematics, but doing some course where you find an old sock probably isn't going to achieve this.

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
lol, had to do that sock thing in diploma, I just found a random pic on the internet and made up some BS story to go with it. Did well too :)

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
You have to do this course?

Aren't you doing a double degree? (I always thought that one of the advantages of doing a double degree is the ability to circumvent crap like gen eds and scom courses.)
I was originally going to do a double-major in science (scom being one of the majors), not a double degree...but after this semester I'm going to ditch the science communication side altogether. So yeah, I did actually choose to do a SCOM course, because ultimately I'd like to end up with a job in that sort of area - eg science journalist/writer, or an education officer at a zoo/wildlife park, working in a museum, something like that. But...lets just say, SCOM sounded good on paper (ie the descriptions in the handbook), just not in practice.

From what I've heard there is a university wide initiative to kill off 3 unit geneds and have people take 2 regular first year courses in their place... A sudden outbreak of common sense, is it not?
I hope not. :( The gen ed courses sound MUCH more interesting than a lot of other first-year courses.

Many maths students need to learn how to communicate with muggles about mathematics, but doing some course where you find an old sock probably isn't going to achieve this.
EXACTLY.

(and lol, muggles.)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
goldstein is a residential college, but it also has small classrooms. I think i had my comp1911 tutes in that particular room.

circled in red. Its on the edge of the quad lawn.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
man where is Omium when you need him?

im thinking about doing PHYS1221 in summer like he did and he probably has the gist on it.

anyone do summer courses, what's it like compared to session 2?

EDIT: fuck that, 3 days a week. expected 1 or 2.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
3 days a week, and around 4 hrs each day, you'd get 4 weeks of classes, 2 weeks off (xmas and new year), then another 4 weeks of classes (for a 6UOC summer course).

I'll be doing a gen ed in summer sesh, Metals, Ceramics, Plastics - Building the Twenty First Century - GENS3501 (3UOC), its in summer teaching period B and goes for a week, 3hrs each day, and it looks interesting! (for me at least)

SFinspired

HSC
Yo guys, im doing a 2000 word essay (FFS), do you think the markers will check the sources? Coz im putting citations randomly in my essay. (not that I'm implying plagiarism or anything)
LOL

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
should make one of the civil building being the least practical.

decided i might do internship end of year! woo smeone wish me luck

HSC
hey guys i won 6 pack of beer for doing some survey on myunsw

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
I saw Wrong_Turn at uni today. Haha

Walking down the corridor in ASB

Him: "Hey kent!" walks past.
Me: "..." (not recognizing his face)
* I turn Around*
Him: (While walking off) "It's wrong

Turn

Leslie!"

Me:Wrong .. Turn ... Leslie suddenly clicks. AHH!! BOS! By that time he was already gone. Hahah, What a stalker!!!

Btw. I'm in ASB128 majority of the time on mon - wed

Currently at Quad comp labs ;D

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I saw Wrong_Turn at uni today. Haha

Walking down the corridor in ASB

Him: "Hey kent!" walks past.
Me: "..." (not recognizing his face)
* I turn Around*
Him: (While walking off) "It's wrong

Turn

Leslie!"

Me:Wrong .. Turn ... Leslie suddenly clicks. AHH!! BOS! By that time he was already gone. Hahah, What a stalker!!!

Btw. I'm in ASB128 majority of the time on mon - wed

Currently at Quad comp labs ;D
I haven't seen leslie in awhile but Im amused everytime I see his 'peace out' gif dp on msn.

FARK HIGHER DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY MIDSESSION TOMORROW

/death
I had the worst midsession today. 2 of the pages were missing in the exam booklet because it wasnt printed out correctly so the lecturer had to write half the questions on the board and then show some of the multichoice on the overhead screen in the CLB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)