General UTS chit-chat (2 Viewers)

maka

HSC
Re: The UTS 'Get Naked and Secks' Thread

Krayzie....

Jon Tyler said in one of his lectures that you are able to take whichever mark is higher out of the 3 options.

Effectively, for many people he said they received the mark they got in the 100% final.

Its a high fail rate but supposedly the actual fail rate for the subject is a lot less.

maka

HSC

How can you do an extra assessment instead of a class mark?

Just curious. If there is a reason you cant disclose, thats fine.

Sometimes, I would prefer no class mark,

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
i never realised acct for business was hard for the consensus- ive personally never heard of anyone failing it regarding the 35% failure rate though that's probably biased since many people don't even sit the exam ie :take that 100% final option and never bothered rocking up.

ive heard of people failing acct 2 which i found to be challenging due to the lack of instruction from FP.
Yeah. I would say the majority of people who failed took Option A (100% final exam) and either did the final exam and failed or didn't even go for the exam. There are also alot of students (in comparison to other subjects) in different faculties who chose AB as an elective and found it extremely hard to pick up (science, IT, engineering students).

Hmm... ATBD wasn't too bad last semester- the final marks were probably scaled up by about 5-10%, and some friends I knew thought they were going to fail but actually passed instead.

maka said:
Sometimes, I would prefer no class mark,
I find class marks pretty easy to score. Most of them just encourage you to participate in class and hand in a bit of homework every once in a while.

maka

HSC

I personally on the whole prefer class marks. It is usually good to make up the couple of marks which mean the difference between a C or a D.

I really think class marks are only as good as the teachers understanding of participation. I was told highlighting in your textbook is a good sign for your class mark because it shows you have read the material. Shows you are prepared and can find the answers.

But in some classes, you can get overawed by other dominant people. So again the teacher needs to involve students but not detrimentally affect the bigger contributors.

-pari-

HSC
N/A

huratio:

please dont say that i took option A :(

maka

HSC

I took option A too.

Learnt it all over the Queens Birthday weekend.

Got a C.

So happy!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

-pari- said:
huratio:

please dont say that i took option A :(
Are you turning up to most/all of the lectures and doing homework?

-pari-

HSC
N/A

Huratio said:
Are you turning up to most/all of the lectures and doing homework?
yeah i do....i'm still behind though, and still got a lotta gaps to fill in terms of understanding, but i do each chapter quite thoroughly.

i should get there eventually, but god i'm scared. especially after knowing that midsem averages were *sigh*

maka

HSC

28/40 is really good for Accounting for Business mid sem.

If 30+ % fail, high credit is a good mark.

Remember they pick the option that you best score in.

For many, it is the final exam option. The other 2 options help as some insurance though.

PS: I went to 3 lectures and did no homework ever in Accounting for Business and still did well in the final

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

maka said:
28/40 is really good for Accounting for Business mid sem.

If 30+ % fail, high credit is a good mark.

Remember they pick the option that you best score in.

For many, it is the final exam option. The other 2 options help as some insurance though.

PS: I went to 3 lectures and did no homework ever in Accounting for Business and still did well in the final
Hmm... I would not say people score best with the 100% final. The final exam for AB is really long, and I thought it was even more challenging than ATBD.

You covered all of the work though.. The people who fail don't bother turning up to any lectures at all and don't even review their work before the final exam.

maka

HSC

I wouldnt promote the 100% final. That is why I wanted to do the mid sem but I was sick, so I just did the 100% final.

I thought the final questions were easier as they didnt promote rote learning.

I spoke to a bloke in the semester after Accounting for Business and he said Jon Tyler told him that many people actually got their final exam mark as 100% of their final.

But he said, that majority of failures came from the 100% final group as they didnt "purchase"insurance by doing the mid sem or the tut work.

I think the final is challenging. I dont think it is hard per se. The lecture notes and Jon's summary on the exam topics was very good for me to get a good understanding of the material.

HSC

i don't know why any one would go final exam approach if they take the best out of the 3 options- i didn't know that curious if it's always been like that.

I found the final exam to be very easy, alot easier than acct2. fp was horrendous and glad i never have to see him again

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
i don't know why any one would go final exam approach if they take the best out of the 3 options- i didn't know that curious if it's always been like that.

I found the final exam to be very easy, alot easier than acct2. fp was horrendous and glad i never have to see him again
What do you mean by taking the best out of the 3 options??

HSC

someone said jon takes into consideration which one u performed best in ie: if you were option c, and you smash the final you'd be better off with having taken option a to begin with and he'll deem you to be an option a

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
someone said jon takes into consideration which one u performed best in ie: if you were option c, and you smash the final you'd be better off with having taken option a to begin with and he'll deem you to be an option a
Yeah, that makes sense.
You should be rewarded for smashing the final and taking the highest mark.

When given the option to not do the mid-semester or go to tutorials- there will always be students who take this option.

denise_

So fetch!
HSC

omg please kill me. qba sucks ass

HSC

did u do 2 unit maths^- if u did it should be a breeze. the stats part was more difficult but was still an easy subject with piss easy assessments where most people averaged a hd going into the final

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

RE: Printing.

Is it only free strictly for people enrolled in IT courses, or would I get free printing from the maths labs too?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Azamakumar said:
RE: Printing.

Is it only free strictly for people enrolled in IT courses, or would I get free printing from the maths labs too?
Where are the Maths labs located?

Free printing for IT students is limited to the IT building only on Levels 2 and 3 only. You have to be enrolled into at least one IT subject to get the free printing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)