Getting Interviewed at an Investment Bank (1 Viewer)

jpr333

HSC
Yeah kek thought this thread felt a little dated. And you know what? It is

shandog23

HSC
This thread has been a godsend haha. The summer internship applications actually closed on the 11th. I've got my first interview tomorrow morning but I can't sleep so I'm just doing some reading. It's lucky that my interview on Tues was double booked so I was moved and had time to read about it the process. Also a friend of mine did his first interview on tuesday so I got to find out about the questions.

Pretty psyched about the whole thing. Even more so that I only have a mid credit average but I have a wierd situation. I have a masters of science in medicine that I just finished with my credit average and I'm now doing my first commerce studies ever with another masters (in commerce). I think what tipped me over the edge though as well was that I am currently employed in management at a small company. Actually pretty excited. Anyone else doing their first interviews this week?

yook

HSC
thats an awesome bg shandog.. let us know how you went

a few mates of mine are doing psyc tests at macq... they seem to be letting alot of ppl thru [not trying to insult you or anything.. i mean i got rejected]!

shandog23

HSC
yook said:
thats an awesome bg shandog.. let us know how you went

a few mates of mine are doing psyc tests at macq... they seem to be letting alot of ppl thru [not trying to insult you or anything.. i mean i got rejected]!
thank you..

I should hear from them sometime soon. The only thing that worries me about my bg is that my undergrad marks are crap. I have a bad average there, but I have a 70 (credit) avg for my masters of sci med and I now have a credit avg for my masters of comm (finc & acct). I'm hoping my two masters will outweigh my undergrad by a lot haha... other than that I have a great employment background too... haha we shall see. From the people I've talked to though, it seems like the risk management division that I went for is not the top choices by a lot of undergrads applying for internship

pete_mate

HSC
shandog23 said:
thank you..

I should hear from them sometime soon. The only thing that worries me about my bg is that my undergrad marks are crap. I have a bad average there, but I have a 70 (credit) avg for my masters of sci med and I now have a credit avg for my masters of comm (finc & acct). I'm hoping my two masters will outweigh my undergrad by a lot haha... other than that I have a great employment background too... haha we shall see. From the people I've talked to though, it seems like the risk management division that I went for is not the top choices by a lot of undergrads applying for internship
i'm fairly sure they normally have a 75 mark cutoff, but that's at the application stage. Seeing as you've already passed that it seems your work experience did outweight it, so i wouldnt worry.

the next stage is all about character etc. hence the interviews

shandog23

HSC
Well I've gotten my 'response' from macbank after my first interview. Just another emailing thanking me for the interview and that I should expect a 'response' from them within 10 days hahahaha... just tell me now!!!!

I'm taking this to say that I've probably been shortlisted maybe?? maybe half get the dear john letter and half get what I got?

is a roflcopter
HSC
wow their recruitment is all over the place

got 2 friends who interviewed with macq at the same time
one got offered like 10 days ago, another last night

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
wow their recruitment is all over the place

got 2 friends who interviewed with macq at the same time
one got offered like 10 days ago, another last night
Not really.

You'd know who their first choice would have been from that statement.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
That reminds me. Macq is just rude and arrogant.

Some people get called up for round 2 interviews (for example) nearly 1 month after others. I have friends who didn't get offers or find out they got rejected until some 2 weeks later (while some other people found out in the next few days).

No other firm does that.

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
That reminds me. Macq is just rude and arrogant.

Some people get called up for round 2 interviews (for example) nearly 1 month after others. I have friends who didn't get offers or find out they got rejected until some 2 weeks later (while some other people found out in the next few days).

No other firm does that.
Or just ridiculously busy mate.

All the people I know that have gone through have found out (yay or nay) within two weeks.

Have you stopped and considered the size of the intake at Macquarie?

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
What about their size? It's small or big?
Huge. Across a large number of divisions. I have a huge amount of sympathy for Macquarie HR at these times of year.

is a roflcopter
HSC
regardless

the fact that theres big delays between offers might mean that they lose out on candidates who have given up hope and have taken other offers.

shandog23

HSC
Newbie said:
regardless

the fact that theres big delays between offers might mean that they lose out on candidates who have given up hope and have taken other offers.
...giving me a better chance at getting a position :D

is a roflcopter
HSC
macq pays 1k a week for ibd interns

what are peoples opinions on that

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
macq pays 1k a week for ibd interns

what are peoples opinions on that
The American banks pay a lot more, and they put you up in accomodation for the entire period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)