getting throuhg customs (1 Viewer)

12th man

HSC
ok so ive never been overseas before so never been through customs but have watched a bit of border security where im guessing its just highlights

im wanting to bring back a bottle of snake wine from vietnam to australia but its banned. but then again so are pirated cd's dvds etc; although obviously they dont pose a risk

just wondering; do these kinds of things show up in xrays/does everything get scanned/checked if u dont declare it or is it just pot luck and basically how does it work

im willing to risk the $200 fine if its just a small chance i think but basically just wondering if someone could tell me how it works

i only want it to display here; think it would be a great decoration; not like im going to go and release it into a river or anything and contaminate our water
anyway if anyone can tell me how the whole process works; especially with dvds and stuff as well id really appreciate it

thanks

iamsickofyear12

HSC
They put everyone's bags through the X-ray and if something they find suspicious shows up they make you open it up and show them. I think they also pick bags at random to search as well.

I have brought back entire suitcases full of DVD's from Bali and they don't care. As long as it is clearly for personal use you won't have a problem.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
With respect to the DVD's, as long as you dont' have more than 1 copy of the pirated dvd, you'll be fine as they'll assume it's for peronal viewing only.

12th man

HSC

looks sick i reckon

just a bit nervous about the x ray machine. they see a coiled up snake on the screen and theyre bound to ask a few questions

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Each states have different custom laws and regulations. Try finding out what state does allow that snake thing, hopefully Tasmania? (do they even have a airport in Hobart?) lol

edit: It is best for you to declare it, if you don't, apart from the fine, you will have a record when flying again. So every time you'll be going through customs, they know your history!

12th man

HSC
hmm

might just try mailing them home

if i send enoguh spread over the few months im there a few are sure to make it through

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The reason they're illegal to import is because the cobra's and other snakes are often endangered species.

Make sure the species you're buying is not endangered. Buying products made from endangered species is a shit thing to do as a tourist.

Donski

HSC
N/A
shinji said:
With respect to the DVD's, as long as you dont' have more than 1 copy of the pirated dvd, you'll be fine as they'll assume it's for peronal viewing only.
1? gtfo.

12th man

HSC
Exphate said:
Tassy are pretty wierd with there customs. Sometimes that are hardcore and check shit thoroughly, other times...they don't.
they dont even have an international airport?

edit im just not going to declare it and hope for the best

Peartie

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Each states have different custom laws and regulations. Try finding out what state does allow that snake thing, hopefully Tasmania? (do they even have a airport in Hobart?) lol

edit: It is best for you to declare it, if you don't, apart from the fine, you will have a record when flying again. So every time you'll be going through customs, they know your history!
Customs is a FEDERAL responsibility.....as is quarantine.... therefore states are the same - but then in certain areas there are stricter rules (ie Fruit flys going from NSW to SA)....

but declare it - the worst they can do is take it off you

if you dont declare it and they find it they'll fine you AND take it off you.....

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
they did a random search of me and my mate when we came back from thailand and let these fucking 5 turks go infront of us. my mate had a taser, flicknife and something else i cant remember, he almost got prosecuted. so declare your shit.

aussie-boy

HSC
haha i dont think thers any chance getting one of those bottles through customs... itll show up on the xray straight away and it breaks so many rules

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Is the snake dead? You might be able to if you declare it as a decoration or some shit,.

5233andy

HSC
I'd recommend not purchasing the item. Everything that you bring into Australia will be screened. Even if you do declare the item, there's a strong likelihood that it will be confiscated and destroyed.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
5233andy said:
Everything that you bring into Australia will be screened. Even if you do declare the item, there's a strong likelihood that it will be confiscated and destroyed.
I came back from overseas a few weeks ago and they didn't check my stuff at all. Someone I was with declared something, so they got them to take it out and show them, but other than that they didn't look at anything.

...but that was in Brisbane. Last time I flew back to Sydney from overseas I am pretty sure they were putting everyones stuff through the x-ray.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Peartie said:
Customs is a FEDERAL responsibility.....as is quarantine.... therefore states are the same - but then in certain areas there are stricter rules (ie Fruit flys going from NSW to SA)....

but declare it - the worst they can do is take it off you

if you dont declare it and they find it they'll fine you AND take it off you.....

It's federal but what I mean is sometimes you can bring something that is prohibited in one state, that isn't prohibited in a another state.

Peartie

HSC
nope, the only things that get changed is the fruit but coming in from international you cant bring inf ruit full stop....

and all bags will at least get sniffer dogged if not xrayed and something like snake wine or whatever its called (ive forgotten) will be smelt by the dogs....

either way id declare it but its up 2 u in the end, u pay the fine if youre caught

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
This item is in poor taste and will most certainly be destroyed by customs. I recommend you reconsider buying it as you will be throwing away your money and facing the subsequent fine/record so your name will be tainted every other time you return from an overseas holiday.

Customs are especially strict on young tourists coming from Bali/Thailand as they're well aware of the items of interest for these markets... BB guns, ornamental things, wooden objects etc.

5233andy

HSC
JaredR said:
This item is in poor taste and will most certainly be destroyed by customs. I recommend you reconsider buying it as you will be throwing away your money and facing the subsequent fine/record so your name will be tainted every other time you return from an overseas holiday.

Customs are especially strict on young tourists coming from Bali/Thailand as they're well aware of the items of interest for these markets... BB guns, ornamental things, wooden objects etc.
As long as you declare the item, you should be fine. Failure to do so will resort in a fine and warning - thus your name will be noted.

*Minka*

HSC
I fly overseas at least three times a year, so do the customs thing pretty regulary.

If you declare something, 85% of the time, they will let you keep it but I honestly think this is something that will be confiscated. In the last eight years, I have only had one or two things taken off me but was not near procection. (I declared a couple of wood things from Malaysia, but customs decided the wood was not treated enough). There is a big difference between something made from wood or an animal product (such as a wooden doll, a pair of clogs, a fan) and a dead animal in a jar. With pirated DVDs, one or two copies of a burnt CD has never presented a problem because it is obvious it is for personal use.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it in the first place in case it is an endangered species and secondly, because I REALLY don't like your chances of getting to keep it. Getting back into Australia can be a lengthy enough process (especially after a long trip back from Croatia!) without having a record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)