• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

girls doing ext 2? (1 Viewer)

HayleeKate

HSC
I got to Coffs Harbour Senior College, its an awesome school, we study on the uni campus in coffs and only for year 11 & 12, and while its actually a public school, its selective and entry is judged on junior high school reports. Its not run like a normal high school, rather a uni, teachers are first names, attendance is the students responsibility etc, pretty much like uni classes, except hsc syllabus. The teachers are great because theyre friends not teachers and theres no distraction from year 7's fighting in the hallways, all they care about is your hsc and helping you. Ok, you only asked the name of my school, not a full outline of how it functions, sorry!

stainmepink

HSC
Sphyx said:
our class has 4 girls, (2 of whom are Asian and barely speak any English), the rest are guys (4 asian, 4 caucasian). everyone does quite well without any obvious stand-alones, apart from the 12 year old boy.

omg ... TWELVE YEARS OLD!! wtf??

Trev

stix
HSC
HayleeKate said:
I got to Coffs Harbour Senior College, its an awesome school, we study on the uni campus in coffs and only for year 11 & 12, and while its actually a public school, its selective and entry is judged on junior high school reports. Its not run like a normal high school, rather a uni, teachers are first names, attendance is the students responsibility etc, pretty much like uni classes, except hsc syllabus. The teachers are great because theyre friends not teachers and theres no distraction from year 7's fighting in the hallways, all they care about is your hsc and helping you. Ok, you only asked the name of my school, not a full outline of how it functions, sorry!
Sounds interesting. Our school is so restricted, you can't leave without having parental permission and whatnot. It's so shite how if you have a 'study' lesson first/last period you are required to be there. I would rather sleep in so I wouldn't have to sleep in class!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
HayleeKate said:
That sounds enviably cool. :(

HayleeKate

HSC
Trev said:
Sounds interesting. Our school is so restricted, you can't leave without having parental permission and whatnot. It's so shite how if you have a 'study' lesson first/last period you are required to be there. I would rather sleep in so I wouldn't have to sleep in class!
My schools the exact opposite, and as much as I love it, when you have no classes, youre not there, and just walking out whenever you feel like it, its not really good for me, I have afternoon free's 3 days a week and I get to walk out of school and ........ I spend the rest of the afternoon eating and watching oprah, in the absolute extreme I go to the beach and maybe flick through a textbook while sunbaking, if I was at school however...I might actually do some study which surprisingly helps with ext 2. My school breeds bad habbits, my 4u teacher is a dick to me, and no one checks if I'm at class, so I more often than not dont go (especially since its the only class I have on tuesdays).
Conventional schools are the way to go for unmotivated students. [not implying that's you Trev, just general statement]

HayleeKate

HSC
schools never out. [bleak i know]
schools out = uni's in (aka more work)
uni's out = use what you actually learnt (or did you?)
I think I"m going to drop out and be a waitress now.

Pessimism over, back to the thread of girls doing ext 2, I cant drop out and be a waitress because I have to prove all those misogynous male maths teachers girls can and WILL top ext 2 and beat their sons in the process.

Will Hunting

HSC
If you're asking for battle of the sexes, consider your challenge accepted... Hiiiiiiiiyah!!!

HayleeKate

HSC
I wasnt exactly asking for a battle of the sexes, just thought it was relevant since we are chatiing through the thread "girls doing ext 2" and I was more attacking a small number of males at my school and challenging them, which im comfortable with, not an unknown quantity of males with unknown mathematical capabilities. I'm a little intimidated by the possibilities of this challenge I unknowingly set down *hides behind textbook*

Will Hunting

HSC
Don't worry, HayleeKate... I'll spare you for today, and I'll pass that on to the rest of my species... ;) lol

HayleeKate

HSC
Much appreciated, I'll have to watch what I'm getting myself into!
Its a much better idea that we form an alliance against the rest of the state, and bring down those monkeys, rather than wasting time and effort going kung-foo on each other. 20 toes are better than 10 (or is it 2 heads are better than 1?) I'm not into competing against other kids (unless they really piss me off by trying to compete with me)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
yeh, i so hear you also, HayleeKate. and all the guys that are in support of the girls doing higher-order maths. i cop a fair bit of slack from the guys in my 4u class, and it gets on my nerves, so i cant help but put them back into their places. but they admit themselves, 4u classes would be dead if i wasnt there to liven things up a little.
i think problem is most girls are too scared to admit they are capable of that sort of maths, or just reluctant to be labelled nerd (as so often happens, at my school anyway). bah, they sacrifice knowledge for the sake of convention.

btw gobaby, theres a thread about this boy already, i think its "Ext 2 accelerants" or something similar, i so cant be bothered explaining this wonder-kid for the umptenth time.

HayleeKate

HSC
Sphyx said:
yeh, i so hear you also, HayleeKate. and all the guys that are in support of the girls doing higher-order maths. i cop a fair bit of slack from the guys in my 4u class, and it gets on my nerves, so i cant help but put them back into their places. but they admit themselves, 4u classes would be dead if i wasnt there to liven things up a little.
I know the livening it up bit, is it just my class, or does anyone else suffer from having their 4u class think they'll die if they speak? My teacher asks a question, and everyone stops breathing for fear of being heard.. I'm the only one who speaks, if i wasnt there that class would fall apart I'm sure. Its not that the other kids dont know the answer to the guys question, they just dont speak, like they're socially inept or something, drives me batty because they just wait for me to say it, and I try not to so they'll talk and it just sits in intense silence for 5 minutes until I speak, WHAT IF ONE DAY I SAY THE WRONG ANSWER?? The silence then will be too much if I stop talking.
Is this just me and my class? Or does anyone else have intimidatingly quiet 4u classes?

Will Hunting

HSC
Say no more, comrade! I am completely and 100% behind the move for a mutual disarmament! Imagine... the two of us... joining forces... our minds, hands and... :p toes :p combined - we'd be absolutely.... positively.... unstoppable!

HayleeKate

HSC
Will Hunting said:
Say no more, comrade! I am completely and 100% behind the move for a mutual disarmament! Imagine... the two of us... joining forces... our minds, hands and... :p toes :p combined - we'd be absolutely.... positively.... unstoppable!
Its a deal, you and me, all the way (good) Will Hunting!!!

Will Hunting

HSC
Yes!!! Just think of the wonders we shall weave... Ext 2 Maths will never be the same again! :p

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
HayleeKate said:
Is this just me and my class? Or does anyone else have intimidatingly quiet 4u classes?
i wouldnt say intimidatingly quite... but lets put it this way....my teacher knows exactly who it is that is speaking. its was so funny the other day in class, I serious whispered something SO QUIETLY that even the guy i was talking to didnt hear me say anything. My teacher, however, had his back to us and was writing something on the board and WHIRLED around and YELLED at the TOP of his voice "GLORIA!!!! QUIET!!!!"...yes, it was rather intimidating, I suppose. His ears must be tuned to my frequency.

HayleeKate

HSC
Sphyx said:
i wouldnt say intimidatingly quite... but lets put it this way....my teacher knows exactly who it is that is speaking. its was so funny the other day in class, I serious whispered something SO QUIETLY that even the guy i was talking to didnt hear me say anything. My teacher, however, had his back to us and was writing something on the board and WHIRLED around and YELLED at the TOP of his voice "GLORIA!!!! QUIET!!!!"...yes, it was rather intimidating, I suppose. His ears must be tuned to my frequency.
Its funny, my teacher pretends he's deaf and cant hear when anyone answers a question hes asking until they yell it at him, but he always hears my sarcasm and abusive comments which I'm trying to keep on the quiet. Selective hearing.
I think what makes everyone in my class so scared to speak is that when you offer him an asnwer, he looks at you and says "Is it?" or "Are you sure?" really sceptically, its horrible, when you think you were on the right track (and you were) he plays mind games and makes you wish you'd never spoken. Then he gets cut because no one talks, he gets all childish like, "OK, No one goes to lunch until someone has a go at the question and announces to the whole class thier answer so I can berate them and make them feel insignificant and generally do my best to make them wet their pants!"

HayleeKate

HSC
Will Hunting said:
Yes!!! Just think of the wonders we shall weave...
imagine if we had children...

Thats not indended as a susso-suggestion/pick-up-line, (I hate kids and dont want any) but just think off how good they'd be at maths....? Its really a waste all these rich old guys hooking in with young blonde gold-digging bimbos (I say this despite being a blonde, im a traitor I know)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)