• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

girls doing ext 2? (1 Viewer)

furryfish

1337 h4x0r
HSC
blackfriday said:
in my class, 24 out of 25 are asian or curry. thats multiculturalism for you.
lol ours isnt much better either... there are about 3 caucasians in a class of about 25 :eek:

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
furryfish said:
lol ours isnt much better either... there are about 3 caucasians in a class of about 25 :eek:
as far as i know [i don't do 4u], the entire class is asian [chinese, korean, indian, etc], and there are about 20 ppl doing it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
furryfish said:
"isn't much better"...
So you're implying that a class full of Asians is bad (or at least not good)??
I'm offended... :p

jlee

HSC
in my school its all girls, theres 6 in my class doing ext 2 , half asian and i think in the stats its approx 2000 boys: 1000 girls doing ext 2 maths so for every 1 girl two boys and in english extension 2 its the opposite boys :girls. o since im checking it out in
bio: no. girls>no. boys
chem: no. girls = no. boys
physics: no. girls<no. boys
(all approx.)

jlee

HSC
o physics is opp to bio since half my keyboard isnt working

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Over the past few years, more females have taken up higher levels of maths as well as sciences. By the same token, more males have taken up higher levels of English...and come first in them :p (I just had to add that point).

VQ

HSC
Well...My class consists of 12 ppl, 6 boys and 6 girls...Though the top3 are still boys (in the 1st assess task), in the last test, girls reach the peak...Well, we'll try to take the top position after this, don't worry... =)

HayleeKate

HSC
gender-bias in Ext 2

In my 4u class we started with 9, 3 female, now its down to 5 with 2 female, who I'm pleased to say are the top 2 (myself first). In our 3u class there's probably about half-half male female, but the girls usually do better than the guys (on average) with the top 3 students female battling it out.

It's interesting though, because everyone finds it so surprising that the females would be doing well, my male 4u teacher is stunned they even let girls in the class, let alone that we would be topping it (perhaps because his son is coming third). I think his gender-bias is the reason the 3rd girl left our 4u class, its a shame because she comes second in 3u and could easily handle 4. Sad day for female mathematicians.

As for the race issue, all caucasian in both 4u & 3u, sounds like most of you are from multicultural sydney schools. Actually, no, there's one south african girl in 3u.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
HayleeKate said:
In my 4u class we started with 9, 3 female, now its down to 5 with 2 female, who I'm pleased to say are the top 2 (myself first). In our 3u class there's probably about half-half male female, but the girls usually do better than the guys (on average) with the top 3 students female battling it out.

It's interesting though, because everyone finds it so surprising that the females would be doing well, my male 4u teacher is stunned they even let girls in the class, let alone that we would be topping it (perhaps because his son is coming third). I think his gender-bias is the reason the 3rd girl left our 4u class, its a shame because she comes second in 3u and could easily handle 4. Sad day for female mathematicians.

As for the race issue, all caucasian in both 4u & 3u, sounds like most of you are from multicultural sydney schools. Actually, no, there's one south african girl in 3u.
South African is still caucasian...unless they're the native South Africans.

As for your teacher's son being at the school...that's kind of strange. At my school, teachers aren't allowed to teach the subjects that they're children are doing (if they're at the school), let alone teach the same class...

HayleeKate

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
South African is still caucasian...unless they're the native South Africans.
She's black, so I guess thats not caucasian.

And as for my teacher's son in the class, I questioned it aswell, but the teacher is the head teacher of maths so it makes it difficult to complain, aparently he taught his older daughter as well. I'm a bit suss on it, but theres aparently no rules against it.

Captain pi

HSC
HayleeKate said:
In my 4u class we started with 9, 3 female, now its down to 5 with 2 female, who I'm pleased to say are the top 2 (myself first). … Sad day for female mathematicians.
You said it sister.

The perception that females are somehow 'unequipped' to do higher level mathematics is denying mathematics a large proportion of brain power. Although, empirically, it may be said that there are not as many females performing highly as males, the conclusion that they are generally less-able is unsound and a cum hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Good luck HayleeKate (come first in the state :p)!

HayleeKate

HSC
Thanks for the support! & love the article, being a non-metropolitan (aka 'rural', but I preffer 'coastal') student, it hits a nerve. There's so many talented girls at my school, who are so convinced they 'cant' do maths, when really they've all got ample ability, my friends are constantly shocked how much they actually know, theyre just so used to not being classified as good maths students, they think theyre not. My 4u teacher is a misogynous idiot who thinks girls are inferior at mathematics, personally, this just inspires me to prove him wrong, and whilst I may well have dropped ext 2 long ago, it thrills me no end when I skip all his classes and still top his class, its worth the look on his face, lets hope my Mid-Course next week brings similar satisfaction.

FinalFantasy

HSC
girls are in no way bad @ maths, i went to a tutoring class before, and those girls from North Sydney Girls and some others are very high level @ maths lol

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
haboozin i hope you are not implying anything racist against asians

you know they will come and chop you up =P

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
well i go to a guys school

so obviously no girls =P haha

Captain pi

HSC
HayleeKate said:
Thanks for the support! & love the article, being a non-metropolitan (aka 'rural', but I preffer 'coastal') student, it hits a nerve. There's so many talented girls at my school, who are so convinced they 'cant' do maths, when really they've all got ample ability, my friends are constantly shocked how much they actually know, theyre just so used to not being classified as good maths students, they think theyre not. My 4u teacher is a misogynous idiot who thinks girls are inferior at mathematics, personally, this just inspires me to prove him wrong, and whilst I may well have dropped ext 2 long ago, it thrills me no end when I skip all his classes and still top his class, its worth the look on his face, lets hope my Mid-Course next week brings similar satisfaction.
May I ask as to what school you go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)