Giveaways to personality (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
azzie said:
I also do quiet tests to see how much someone likes me, and if there's anything in it. For example, the way that a guy treats wait staff at a resteraunt is a dead give away to his character, so is how long it takes them to call you or message you after you've been on a date..... the list goes on. But I never tell my partner I'm testing them.
I find this stuff very interesting.
What 'tests' do you do? What do different things tell you about a person's personality?

I always look at how people treat different types of people. It shows how welcoming/cliquey they are and how likely they are to turn on you in the long term.

I look at how they respond to unncecessary bitching by other people to see how comfortable I can be telling them things and what they might be saying about me behind my back.

I look at what they do when people need help - whether they do the bare minimum or take the initiative to do more. I think it's a good indication of how selfish (/selfless) they are in general.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
religious.

How they treat those 'beneath' them e.g bartenders, doormen, shelfstackers in the way.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
religious.

How they treat those 'beneath' them e.g bartenders, doormen, shelfstackers in the way.
I actually wouldn't see them as beneath me. Even though they might (not always) be of a lower social status, earn less money etc etc than me, i'd still treat them as equals because in a social situation i just find it more feasible when interaction occurs on level footing particularly in public.

I could possibly confess that i have a slight egotistical streak (i hide this behind my sarcastic antics) but people wouldn't be able to pick this out unless they saw how i treated my family or those i take for granted. A good example is that i'm very forgiving of bums but sometimes i'll just blow my top off when it comes to my parents.

Sorry ma. Inspired by latvia's thread below lolz.

The best test probably would be to see how others treat those they see often i.e. work, class, social groups particularly those less 'elevated' than themselves as it means they respect them even when the friendship/acquaintances don't require respect 24/7. How easy is it to just diss a friend or make a joke at their expense in front of another and then come back later (privately) and say you weren't serious?

Ok [/end dnm] :(

Anyway i test people by seeing how they respond to layk sarcastic remarks and if they're all ZOMG you've violated my pants and my freedom of expression lolz then they can :wave:

Redgoddess

HSC
iambored said:
I always look at how people treat different types of people. It shows how welcoming/cliquey they are and how likely they are to turn on you in the long term.

I look at how they respond to unncecessary bitching by other people to see how comfortable I can be telling them things and what they might be saying about me behind my back.

I look at what they do when people need help - whether they do the bare minimum or take the initiative to do more. I think it's a good indication of how selfish (/selfless) they are in general.
I definitely agree with the first one, I do that as well. I think with the second one, it can depend. If it's someone they don't particularly like, or aren't really friends with, then i wouldn't regard it as a reflection of how they treat their friends. On the other hand, if it was like their heaps close friends, I'd definitely be wary of getting close to them, since they appear to exhibit no loyalty, which is a trait I value highly.

With regards to the third one... I'm wary of people who are too helpful to people they don't really know (not with stuff like just being friendly, or showing em where the toilets are or some basic shit, but like when they're having an emotional breakdown) because sometimes those ppl are involved for their own sense of importance, and not because of actually caring. Again though, if someone were to desert (dessert?) a close friend when they were going through shit, I wouldnt be very impressed.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Usually its more the subtle things I find are more interesting, the little quips, movements or habits people have when placed in certain situations, their facial expressions, little nuances in voice etc.

latvia

HSC
N/A
1. How they treat their family (or people close enough to be considered family)
there are many people who treat their family very diffferent from others
they might be very polite, nice, "kind" to friends, acquaintances, strangers but treat their family like shit just because "they will forgive me no matter how much anger I vent on them.....how much of my "real self" I reveal to them"

2. Their attitude when they are sad/scared

3. How much they actually "listen" (ie if a person starts asking you ANOTHER question even before you fully answered the previous, or if he/she talks 'bout something else right after you said something, they might not be listening at all)

4. Usually people suspect those who talk too much of themselves of self-centeredness, see them as "up-themselves" but to me, those who tell you almost nothing about themselves and just keep on asking questions about YOU might have an equally serious problem. It doesn't necessarily mean that they care about others more than themselves (especially when they are not close to you), it may mean something else.

Skeeta

HSC
what someone is like when they are drunk is a major indicator to their personality.

latvia

HSC
N/A
Skeeta said:
what someone is like when they are drunk is a major indicator to their personality.
really?

I never wanna be drunk then.......

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I generally say "hey wouldn't it be fun if i hooked you to a lie detector LOL, you know, just for fun!!!!"

Then interrogate them in an openly hostile manner.

Darkening

HSC
do they have breasts... if yes... Its female

If no... Its male

(LOL!!! I had to type this!! HAHAHA)

cpk9

HSC
The best test is how you feel after you spend time with them.

This conscious testing and constant observing only makes you treat them differently. It's like you're grading them on a performance scale, rather than just being with them.

Fair enough, you do get an indication but honestly - dismissing someones personality instantaneously when they were rude to a waiter is hardly justifiable.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But she is spending time with them.... ?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
What was in the youtube video, i can't view it :(

Also meeting people in real life would be a giveaway to personality no? Interweb just doesn't cut it, seriously.

latvia

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
What was in the youtube video, i can't view it :(

Also meeting people in real life would be a giveaway to personality no? Interweb just doesn't cut it, seriously.
Totally agree
you can't truly know someone EVEN if it's a person you have first MET irl while your relationship truly developed through msn or something
real life interaction (not phone, not internet chat) is what makes you really know a person (shouldn't be based on interweb interaction)

Last edited:

cpk9

HSC
AsyLum said:
But she is spending time with them.... ?
Assumeably, considering they're in a restaurant.

All i'm saying is that caring too much about it, ruins it. Go on gut feelings and stop over-analysing.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
latvia said:
Totally agree
you can't truly know someone EVEN if it's a person you have first MET irl while your relationship truly developed through msn or something
real life interaction (not phone, not internet chat) is what makes you really know a person (shouldn't be based on interweb interaction)
Yeah i agree for the second point in particular as well. I was just about to mention how even if you speak to a classmate or whatever in person but really 'connect' online or over the phone, it's just a deception.

I guess you should take your own advice latvia and go to a meat. lolz

Robbeh

HSC
iambored said:
I find this stuff very interesting.
What 'tests' do you do? What do different things tell you about a person's personality?
Like ohmigawd - bitchiness. Find myself really awkward when my girlfriend and her claws come out. Thankfully it's not that often. Guess you'll just have to find the one person which drives him/her up the wall and ask them about him/her.

Tell a bad joke - humour. I'm specifically lame. Therefore, I'm immature. "Grow old, not grow up." Definately need to share some jokes to let the other know what kind of things you find funny. If I tell one of my worst jokes and they don't at least smile, move on!

A ship carrying blue paint and a ship carrying red paint collided! What happened to the crew?!
They got marooned.
:rofl:

Redgoddess

HSC
haha, i laughed at that...oh dear... but yes, i'm in the lame jokes category too - if they can't hack lame jokes, it'll never work. also if they can't put up with the fact that i tend to repeat stories over and over cos i've forgotten that i've told them... hmm...it could lead to trouble

HSC
is it really bad to give away your personality???

or is it worst if you change your personality for someone?

just a thought!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)