Going overseas at the start of year 12????? (1 Viewer)

jessdub

HSC
Hey everyone,

I've been given the wonderful opportunity to travel to Eastern Europe in November for 2 weeks...I would be going with my mum for her work and it would definitely be an educational experience and something that I would hate to miss out on... I am just wondering if this is a possible/not completely stupid thing to do and whether it would set me back much as it is right at the beginning of year 12 in term 4? Has anyone else done this and if so did you regret it or have trouble convincing the school to let you go? I am really willing to do anything to go, but if is going to have a negative affect on my HSC then I realise I should carefully consider whether it is the wise thing to do... all answers greatly appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Hazballs

HSC
i did the exact same thing! I went to Europe for 5 weeks which was pretty sick! I missed the last week of term 3 and the first 2 weeks of year 12, but i honestly didn't miss that much work.. As we did so much flying it was pretty easy to go ahead with the work so when i got back i was all up to date with everything!

such_such

HSC
Yeah... the first few weeks isn't much. I remember people were like, "I'm serious, I'm going to study really hard. No distractions." Then afterwards, they go back to being what they usually are. Teachers included. You'll probably get your assessment notifications though. But let's face it, not much people will actually start the assessment task until a few days until it's due anyway. And if it's like an exam, 2 weeks is enough to cover what you missed with dedication (Y)

HSC
You wont miss much, a few syllabus dot points will be missed which can easily be covered in a couple of days

enoilgam

HSC
I would go - it's at the start of term and you could probably easily catch up on the work you miss. Just make sure that you have a plan in place on how to catch-up and also check to see if you will miss any assessments.

nifkeh

HSC
just go, actually the start of year 12 is pretty chill and wasn't that fast paced so you can still catch up and stuff

Aysce

HSC
Yup, go for it.

I suggest that before you leave, maybe crunch out a lot of work so that you don't have much to catch up on when you come back.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Go!
Find out what you're learning before hand and maybe learn the stuff before or when u get back or maybe in the 6 week holiday.

Don't miss out, you should go.

kazemagic

HSC
lol i have a different opinion than every who posted here :( maybe cos i havent experienced the HSC yet lol
anyways here are my thoughts:
- it really depends on what atar your aiming for, if ur aiming for like a 99+, then i dont think going overseas is a good choice but if ur aiming for a relatively lower atar then i'd say go for it
- HSC is a once in a life time big opporunity (ppl will say that it isnt the most important thing in your life and i agree with that, but it's still pretty important) ---> doing well in it will probs make ur life easier in the long run and for that i wouldnt mind sacrificing a 2 week holiday for that
- not to mention there are heaps of opportunities in your life to go on a holiday, after hsc, after uni, during uni, during work, after u retire, the day b4 u die, w/e u get the point
- you also wont have as much time to do your term 1 assignments
- you will miss lots of classes, and let me tell you now that self studying without a teacher consumes LOTs of time. So even if you plan to catchup by self studying u will end up sacrificing and wasting the time that u shudve allocated in the progression of your assignments. Hence leaving u even less time to do your term 1 assignments

ppl will most likely disagree with me but these are just my thoughts

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
lol i have a different opinion than every who posted here :( maybe cos i havent experienced the HSC yet lol
- it really depends on what atar your aiming for, if ur aiming for like a 99+, then i dont think going overseas is a good choice but if ur aiming for a relatively lower atar then i'd say go for it
- HSC is a once in a life time big opporunity (ppl will say that it isnt the most important thing in your life and i agree with that, but it's still pretty important) ---> doing well in it will probs make ur life easier in the long run and for that i wouldnt mind sacrificing a 2 week holiday for that
- not to mention there are heaps of opportunities in your life to go on a holiday, after hsc, after uni, during uni, during work, after u retire, the day b4 u die, w/e u get the point
- you will miss lots of classes, and let me tell you now that self studying without a teacher consumes LOTs of time. So even if you plan to catchup by self studying u will end up sacrificing and wasting the time that u shudve allocated in the progression of your assignments. Hence leaving u even less time to do your term 1 assignments

Lol man, chill, 6 week holidays + pester teachers via email, and if you're dedicated enough you can make up for lost time, no problem. problem solved. I share your view tbh, but not everyone is an introvert- yes I freely admit I'm an introvert

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Omg please go. You will miss barely anything at all in the first two weeks. I went overseas for three weeks during Year 12 June/July, right before trials and I didn't regret it in the slightest as that trip was more amazing than anything else in Yr 12.

Haha I'll tackle this from the perspective as someone who has done the HSC. As I went through an International organisation, I know many Yr 12s that did differing international programs of 2-6 weeks during their yr 12 year. I know of many people who have done these trips getting 99.5-even to the elusive 99.95.
-Wow, I know many 99+s that have done international trips in Yr 12.
-No HSC is not a once in a lifetime opportunity because the purpose it's for is not once in a lifetime(you can do it again or do uni transfers etc). Going overseas is.
-People who get wrapped up too much in the HSC and not having a life outside it, it tends to affect them adversely. And they are going at a really prime time of year that it won't affect them much, I've known people away around trials/actual HSC time.
-With focus you can get them done. There's no shortage of time in Yr 12 if you apply yourself.
-Hahaha you make it seem so dramatic. I caught up with my work when I got back, and then studied for trials. I was refreshed and motivated and had really see again what the HSC is for, an opportunity to get onto the stuff I saw on my trip.

jessdub

HSC
Thanks so much everyone! The decision was made a few days ago and I am definitely going :) my school surprisingly is encouraging me to go and my teachers don't think it will be a problem as many of you were saying... thanks again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)