Going to a selective school (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
meh hills grammar isnt that great..
scholarships are offered to entice top performing students... who may be financially disadvantaged in..
but i notice some schools its just to increase profile.. lik sport or academic...

syd grammar seemed worthwhile.. u get offered a few.. but after crunchin the numbers selective and comprehensive publics were better..

from wat i c.. In NSW selectives are good.. but only certain ones... in SA and Vic.. privates do mean better performance.. but only cos of the above reasons.. encouraged or 'bribed'
for worth.. i lik that i can cook :) cos i was taught that at a comprehensive high school
but by yr 11 and 12 i knew wat i wanted .. so selectives were better..

plus i saved about 60000k by goin public.. which is goin to my uni stuff which i feel is more important

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
LaraB said:
yeah they might, but what i was getting at, as i said already, was that it cant be said that all parents will not care about fees if you do relatively well because it isnt true.

You may do well in a school that costs $10k a year, but at the same time, you could've gotten the same results at a school with much less fees.
Also, sacrifices that some families make in terms of money, work, where you live , that kind of thing, to get their child a 'good' private education may not be seen as being worth the cost when there are plenty of good schools without exorbitant fees.

All i was trying to get at was the fact that when you're spending tens of thousands of dollars, i dont think my parents nor friends and family's parents would see it as worthwhile if you do 'relatively well". I know that alot of friends and family for that kind of money would be expecting extremely good results in as many things as possible given that you can go do 'relatively well' in any decent public or lesser expense private school.
if those parents knew that you can do relatively well in any decent public or lesser expense private school then why would they send their children to a school that costs $10k a year?

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
i currently go to a non-selective government high school and i am going to Sydney Tech next year which is a selective school. Some teachers at the school that i am currently going to say that there were people that went to Sydney Tech and didn't do well in the hsc and two teachers don't recommend me that i should go

As anyone ever been in this situation similar to this

Anyways, i am still going to Sydney Tech regardless of what they have said

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
At times, I find myself agreeing with everybody in this thread.

Homeschooling for everyone!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Dimsimmer said:
i currently go to a non-selective government high school and i am going to Sydney Tech next year which is a selective school. Some teachers at the school that i am currently going to say that there were people that went to Sydney Tech and didn't do well in the hsc and two teachers don't recommend me that i should go

when u go non- selective to selective.. if u lose ure drive to do well becuase u get disenchanted with ure prospects.. it happens quite easily.. and yes can lead to worse results.. happened to 2 of my closest friends..
but on the other hand ..
if ure fuelled by the fact tat u dun like gettin caned that many times in exams.. by a bunch of ppl who are heavily spoonfed and hav no life.. yes u will do extremely well butu got to put the work in

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It really depends on the selective school. If it's a super-competitive one where everybody backstabs each other for the best marks, then yeah, you'll be fucked. If it's a good one where everybody works together, then you'll really benefit.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeah working together brings the overall marks all up and dont you also get better scaling for that subject because of the overall marks or something?

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Unfortunatly you need the motivation. If you have that, then really you only need to go to a selective if you can't get the access to better resources.... whichcan hinder you alot in the end depending on the degree of the source hinderance.

Amryllis

HSC
Dimsimmer said:

It seems a bit useless to reply now considering that it's been almost a month since people replied. But what the heck.

My older brother went to Sydney Tech and my younger brother is currently going there. Both of them are doing very well. How well you do really mostly depends on your own motivation. It also depends on the quality of the teachers. I must admit that some teachers at Tech aren't that great, but then again, you can get dodgy teachers ANYWHERE, selective or not.

It's true that some people didn't do so well at Tech, but people might not have taken into account of how hard these people worked. Maybe they were the grade bludgers? And not everyone who gets into selective from year 7 will end up doing well. Some people might have gotten in by an insane amount of hard work in earlier years from tutoring or even sheer luck. Those people who work too hard to get into selective might then end up being too relaxed and grades drop because they think that they've done the hard work now, so it's ok to take it easy.

One of my older brother's tutoring students was in a similar situation. He went to a non-selective school for years 7-10 and then got into 2 selective schools for year 11 - Sydney Tech and Caringbah. Because his older brother didn't do well in the HSC at Tech, his parents decided that Caringbah would be better, despite Tech being the closer option. He's just done the HSC in 2004. I reckon, with the same motivation, he would have done just as well if he had gone to Tech.

It's good to hear that you're still going to Tech despite what others have said. I think any selective school is better than a non-selective. I know coz I've been there.

Good luck at Tech!

gbmember2003

HSC
On the note about Selective Schools, what do people think about Manly Selective Campus? Do u think it is acadamically competitive??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)