Going to a selective school (3 Viewers)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
that guy is obviously jealous of selective schools. its easy to bullshit some story that selective schools r bad for students when ur stuck in sum backwater spent handing out detentions and figuring out whose smoking pot in the girls toilets.

Selective schools generally attract the top 10% based on performance (not potential)...thus the different between the "talented" and the "gifted". this system naturally lends itself it Asians who are driven to succeed. Anyone who has the gall to criticise selective schools are generally jealous, small minded people sour graping the high quality education and enthusiastic teaching that they desperately want but cant have! Selective schools ARE the pride of the public school system because they represent the cream of NSW students as they stress individual achievement both academically and athletically. This opportunity for true personal development also doesnt come at the high cost of the more "prestigious" pricey private schools. Selective schools propone secular values that we all can appreciate (as opposed to private schools whose religious "flavour" -.-., ie, ideology, is an alienating force). Secular schools are here to stay because they represent the best students - they attract the best, and generally, they produce the best. Furthermore, their emphasis on individual achievement, contrasted with the distorted religious teaching of public schools and the lacklustre, directionless teaching of comprehensive schools, is something that we all share.

I dont think so. Many people in the public system choose NOT to go to selective schools for various reasons.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
No it is because people like you generally give selective schools bad reputations.
but selective schools don't have bad reputations. its the small minded ppl who criticise that make up lies about them. its only in their own minds do ppl (like u!) who think that selective schools, as an institution and as a community, are an affront to society. Many people claim that the concept of selective schools, a group of elitist schools, goes against the Australia ideal of egalitarianism. But in every parents mind, selective schools exist as the superior alternative, as in anything, we like to exercise our freedom to choose. furthermore, society is stratified. this is the reality. to deny this would be to live in a fantasy. to reduce our education system to the lowest common denominator...y that would drive even more talented and gifted people out of this country (the Australian "brain drain"). Australian society glorifies and unfairly rewards sporting achievements. We would be a one-dimensional nation if we shunned these elements in our education system that nurtures academic achievements.

choices exist for ppl. im not disputing that. a student applying for entrance into a selective school is choosing to pursue a more challenging environment in which to be educated in.

selective schools dont cater for any particular race but the means of entry suits the asian mentality (confucius). selective schools existed long before waves of asian immigrants but the values they propone appeal to asian parents.

btw, those ppl who choose not to go are usually in the very very small minority. these ppl would surely make that choice under special circumstances. plus, a lot of ppl r stupid. so dont take into account these abherrations. the general trend has been an increased demand for selective school places.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
btw, those ppl who choose not to go are usually in the very very small minority. these ppl would surely make that choice under special circumstances. plus, a lot of ppl r stupid. so dont take into account these abherrations. the general trend has been an increased demand for selective school places.
For some it is a matter of practibility I would easily get into a selective school, however, one of the closest being Melbourne High School severly limits my choices. Now, do I feel I have been disadvantaged by going to a comprehensive school, probably, the lack of competition hasn't motivated me that much to study for the HSC, has it been better for me in the long run however, I would probably say yes.

The HSC tests limited memorised knowledge, by not needing to consistently study for assesments which sometimes I view as near a joke, I was able to learn stuff outside the HSC syllabus, stuff I am interested in and stuff that is past the standard of the HSC. If I wanted to be able to compete with a group of people to discuss the differences between Einstein's and Planck's differening views on whether science is removed from social and political forces, I could have done that. Instead I found that discussing it with others and helping them has been more beneficial for me, notice that while I have >3500 posts I have <20 threads to my credit, of which none are related to problems with the syllabus I encounter (two are questions, considering the type of related text for English, I was using a scientific study, and one outside the syllabus), this is highly contrasted to a high number of selective school students who are constantly posting for help, those who get so stressed about the HSC it can't be healthy and those who follow what their mummy and daddy want them to do, may I ask, how does it feel for you?

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
For some it is a matter of practibility I would easily get into a selective school, however, one of the closest being Melbourne High School severly limits my choices. Now, do I feel I have been disadvantaged by going to a comprehensive school, probably, the lack of competition hasn't motivated me that much to study for the HSC, has it been better for me in the long run however, I would probably say yes.

The HSC tests limited memorised knowledge, by not needing to consistently study for assesments which sometimes I view as near a joke, I was able to learn stuff outside the HSC syllabus, stuff I am interested in and stuff that is past the standard of the HSC. If I wanted to be able to compete with a group of people to discuss the differences between Einstein's and Planck's differening views on whether science is removed from social and political forces, I could have done that. Instead I found that discussing it with others and helping them has been more beneficial for me, notice that while I have >3500 posts I have <20 threads to my credit, of which none are related to problems with the syllabus I encounter (two are questions, considering the type of related text for English, I was using a scientific study, and one outside the syllabus), this is highly contrasted to a high number of selective school students who are constantly posting for help, those who get so stressed about the HSC it can't be healthy and those who follow what their mummy and daddy want them to do, may I ask, how does it feel for you?
i feel good:D. ive done my hsc. and im doing wat i always wanted to.

selective school ppl r a lot more cunning than u think...ppl like u r exploited as a free source of information.

i dont think that the ppl posting r representative of the typical selective school students....those u refer to r the 'vocal minority'.

anywayz, i wasnt criticisng the hsc syllabus (i think it sucks as well)..but most of the students place their family's expectations above their own in many ways. its just a difference in culture...not something to criticise as their intentions are well-meaning (both childs and parents). anyway, selective school students - they play the game and they play it well.

anyway, ur "special"...so the u can only really base ur unjustified criticisms on ur own limited personal experience. im talking about big picture stuff. and u really cant say u have prospered in the long run.....its only the beginning for you:p

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No but I view learning about what I want to do in the future ie Aeronautical Engineering is better for me then getting 98.65 or whatever when I am sure I will get into my course anyway.

And by the way, I'm also used a free source of info from people at school, which makes them not as cunning as you think.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
The simple fact that you think that selective school's discuss "the differences between Einstein's and Planck's differening views on whether science is removed from social and political forces" and stuff like that just goes to show how ignorant you are about what goes on in selective schools.

the fact that you have few posts about school related subjects does not prove anything other than the fact that you do not use this site mostly for school work.Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the large number of selective students that post in school related sections and not others do so because they use this site for work purposes and have other activities other than the internet for social interaction....

and since when do people at selective schools follow what 'mummy and daddy' want them to do?! If anything, this occurs less at selective schools due to the manner in which we are taught and the many opportunities that we are orivided to explore different career paths....

Since you have said you do not attend a selective schools dont make bullshit assumptions and spout them out as if they're fact
By the way, discussing Einstein's and Planck's differing views is part of the syllabus for HSC Physics, hence I would be competiting with a group of people to discuss it.

My assumptions based on selective schools are no more ignorant then §eraphim's assumptions on non-selective schools.

The number of posts was merely reflecting that not all people who don't go to selective schools (or private) are dumb. If they are having trouble and I am not, then obviously I am not dumb.

The fact that the majority of smarter students, may go to selective schools where they are available, does not allow §eraphim to say assumptions on a state wide basis.

What mummy and daddy want them to do is often a result of conditioning on them from a young age, particularly those that get their children to study for selective school tests, in the idea that with high marks they can be a doctor or a lawyer. It also occurs in non-selective but not as often as there isn't as much pressure from the parents to study in order to get the high marks needed to go into law etc.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
What mummy and daddy want them to do is often a result of conditioning on them from a young age, particularly those that get their children to study for selective school tests, in the idea that with high marks they can be a doctor or a lawyer. It also occurs in non-selective but not as often as there isn't as much pressure from the parents to study in order to get the high marks needed to go into law etc.
and what is wrong with that Xayma? are you suggesting that selective school kids cannot think for themselves?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
and what is wrong with that Xayma? are you suggesting that selective school kids cannot think for themselves?
There isn't really anything wrong with it, more an argument used to demonstrate that selective school kids aren't as good as §eraphim implies. They aren't necessairly that intelligent and as §eraphim indicates are occasionaly going there because of their parents.

More used in anger, I get a tad annoyed when people suggest those who don't go to selective schools are automatically dumb.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
"to a high number"- Obviously those who post on BOS will be skewed towards those who have a desire to do really well, and even then it isn't a significant percentage but due to the number of selective school students it still is a large number. But I did not say all.

"but most of the students place their family's expectations above their own in many ways.
selective schools existed long before waves of asian immigrants but the values they propone appeal to asian parents."
He seems to be supporting it, ok?

In any case I will stop, my arguments were mainly made out of annoyance at §eraphim's ideas that you must go to a selective school to be smart.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
"to a high number"- Obviously those who post on BOS will be skewed towards those who have a desire to do really well, and even then it isn't a significant percentage but due to the number of selective school students it still is a large number. But I did not say all.

"but most of the students place their family's expectations above their own in many ways.
selective schools existed long before waves of asian immigrants but the values they propone appeal to asian parents."
He seems to be supporting it, ok?

In any case I will stop, my arguments were mainly made out of annoyance at §eraphim's ideas that you must go to a selective school to be smart.
i still maintain that stance. uve got to be smart enough to realise what selective schools offer.:p but i guess ur stuck in some backwater in the country..so u come under the case of "special circumstances".

i concur with LaraB. u in no position to generalise about selective school students (esp when it comes to them meeting parental expectations) having had no direct contact with selective school ppl or the schools themselves. besides, i dont think its really a question of choosing to study a particular area based on what is useful or not...its whatever gives the student the most enjoyment, both in a direct manner, ie, because they have an intrinsic interest in that subject, or indirectly, ie, the rewards which come from excelling at a particular area. You have no right to judge individual motives for their choice of subject or school.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Donshe said:
These sort of parents, (the hardcore asians etc) would pressure their kids regardless of the school.

It just so happens that most of these kids attain a place at selective schools.
you raise a good point. following on from that, you could conclude that the parents would lessen the pressure as they've already attained one of their goals.

lala2

Banned
HSC
About parental pressure at private schools, yes, there can be a lot of pressure, esp. Asian boarders because they feel bad that their parents have to pay extra money for them to board on top of their academic fees. Day students may also feel pressure too, esp. if you're at a very competitive private school.

Asians, you all know what I mean, the thing where your parents don't say anything but in your head you can imagine them pressuring you, without ever saying a thing. At private schools it's worse cos they will feel bad their parents are paying so much money so they should do well even though their parents don't say anything.

But it depends, so yeah...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Donshe said:
Eh, personally I went to Baulkham Hills High which is meant to be one of these "high pressure" sort of environments. My parents never really cared what I did, or even forced me to go selective.

As I said, some people such as Xayma only listen to the urban myths about selectives and its student and then base their fat assed, big worded, nerdalicious thesis' on that.
For one who continually bags James Ruse and promotes Baulkham Hills, I don't think I am the only one listening to urban myths.

Selective schools being mentioned down this far are extremly rare, I have based all my opinions on what I have seen, and yes I did make it broad off a few examples and I understand that most aren't like that, but where would any politician be without exaggerating a little for emphasis ;)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
speaking of experience. The parent's factor only really matter's in early highschool years to get a reasonable report card. But the main factor of selective schools doing really well overall is coz of the competition in the grade. Everyone is mad competitive to get the top marks (the ones who aren't usually don't care, smoke weed, or back to original reason, don't care).
Besides, the hsc is full of shit, you don't need to be a genius to get a kickass uai. You needa lot of sleepless nights, and plenty of hard-working friends in your group to maintain your own motivation to whoop their butts.

Then again, i finished in 2002, so i might have forgotten the main reason. But yeah, getting into a selective school is much harder now. Don't kids have to have a recommendation from their school and do some essays (or some written composition) as well as the main selective test?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
LaraB said:
i'm simply saying, logically, as you cant be'kicked out' of a selective school and fees are a minimum, wouldn't ther ebe more pressure in private schools given their cost and expectations of success?
hahaha, our school had a 'school contribution' of about 200-300bux per year. Most of us managed to BS our way out of it.
'Oh, uhh. Got money problems.... yeah, money problems'
So end up paying 20 bux for computers and like 60 for sports and thats it. Ah, good ole poor government schools

Kronkite

HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
I'm not sure since i havent been to a private school..but logically, and from what friends have said, wouldnt it make sense that there would be more parental pressure in the private sector than public given the huge fees parents pay comparatively and the fact that due to the exclusive/exclusionary, whichever you want to call it, nature of privates, there is much more demand to make use of your place and you are in a way selected on monetary, ideological and academic merit to attend the school in teh first place

but like i said, i'm going on what's logical here b efore anyone starts bitching back - i'm simply saying, logically, as you cant be'kicked out' of a selective school and fees are a minimum, wouldn't ther ebe more pressure in private schools given their cost and expectations of success?
in terms of pressure, i'd say there's definitely more pressure in selective schools, especially in senior yrs, when the grade expands due to imports, subjects become harder and "more important" and more ppl start studying their arses off. The students also put pressure on themselves, as there is a greater expectation upon them to do well, from teachers, parents and themselves.
I don't think hefty private school fees necessarily place pressure on kids to work harder, when their parents have been paying these fees for up to 12 yrs of schooling, not to mention the reduction in pressure due to spoon feeding and extra coaching etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)