Going to a selective school (2 Viewers)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Your not understanding what i have said previously. PRIVATE schools are there for an all round education. If you have done well in all areas of school life, then ur parents wont give a shit. There's no point in being one of those dickheads who get 99.XX and cant plays sport, or do any extra curricular stuff for shit. Private schools are for an all round education. And most of the decent private schools, $20k a year is worth it even if u dont get great marks, cos marks are only half the story.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
wrx said:
Your not understanding what i have said previously. PRIVATE schools are there for an all round education. If you have done well in all areas of school life, then ur parents wont give a shit. There's no point in being one of those dickheads who get 99.XX and cant plays sport, or do any extra curricular stuff for shit. Private schools are for an all round education. And most of the decent private schools, $20k a year is worth it even if u dont get great marks, cos marks are only half the story.
its very easy to say that its worth the money considering you yourself are not paying the school fees.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
§eraphim said:
its very easy to say that its worth the money considering you yourself are not paying the school fees.
It is also possible that he/she may be right regardless of who's paying. Depending upon which private school, it could be worth it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, im not saying Private Schools are for everyone, but if you take advantage of all the opportunities, you won't look back.

Why do you think thousands of students go to private schools? Obviously because its worth it in their eyes.

Besides my parents have said the same thing about private schools being worth it.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
and what? you're saying that non-private schools have no intention of providing all rounded education? why then is arts and sports and leadership skills and the like compulsorary in every public school?

And even though i personally agree that getting a huge UAI isn't worth it fi you cant do anything but work, you cannot say that there's no point in it.

I'd love to see how you'd explain to Bill Gates or Steven Hawking or someone of their wealth and intellectual Calibre that they are a "dickhead" coz they aren't all rounded. How the hell do you think Bill Gates got so rich?!I mean, Good luck gettin him 2 catch a tennis ball or tap dance!

And who are you to say that parents wont care about the enormous fees if you do well and even if you don't it's still worth it? There are 5 kids in my family - if we all went to private schools on $20 000 a year, by the time we'd all been through high school alone, my parents will have wasted more than half a million dollars!!!! If we went through primary school in the private system, my parents would have blown over a million dollars!! we could have bought 2 houses with that kind of money!
....jack of all trades, master of none.....<---- dumbass private schools, except for SGS

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
LaraB said:
And who are you to say that parents wont care about the enormous fees if you do well and even if you don't it's still worth it? There are 5 kids in my family - if we all went to private schools on $20 000 a year, by the time we'd all been through high school alone, my parents will have wasted more than half a million dollars!!!! If we went through primary school in the private system, my parents would have blown over a million dollars!! we could have bought 2 houses with that kind of money!
If your parents CHOSE to send you and your other 4 siblings to a private school, obviously they would make the choice being well aware of the fees hence wouldn't care too much about it. But your parents chose not to send you to a private school (and your 4 other siblings) thus they have no reason to care about enormous fees.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
wrx said:
But lots of selective schools have plenty of sports, and many students do excel and manage to represent Australia. There are also many talented musicians and all
Also, selective schools have the highest 99+ turnover rate (and you'll probably surprised they're not all your typical can't catch a ball geek)
Most kids I know only went to private because they couldn't get into a good selective HS.

"there's no point in being one of those dickheads who get 99+ and can't play sport" Where do you get this from? To me (all everyone else) you sound very bitter about not getting over 99+? Or maybe you couldn't get into a selective school? Or maybe your head is so far up your arse you think private schools is the only way to go?

Just to back myself up incase you go "you didn't get my point LOL!!one11!!"
Many kids have outside of school extracurricular activities (whereas private schools cover most). Examples are learning musical instruments privately, playing sports for clubs or other private institutions. Everything a kid needs for an all round education doesn't have to be fully supplied by the school.
The claims you're suggesting are true are just too naive for anyone to accept.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Um Bob.J i do go selective........Dumbarse.:rolleyes: Plus i haven't done the hsc yet, and yes im on track for getting MY UAI aim. So im not some prick who is 'jealous' of not getting into selective....

Im not saying the public system is shit, but it doesn't offer enough. Yeah i was wrong when i said about "there's no point getting 99....." Bit of an extreme generalisation that didnt make sense;) But private schools encourage so much more, care much more and offer much more. All these things cost money, and in the end its worth it. Umm most of the activities you mentioned are covered by the school, but sport i.e. is a joke in public, unless u go to a sports high or something.

And Seraphim, who seems to be making stupid posts 24/7 - Look at the top 20 schools. How many are private? And i suppose you got a great uai

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Bob.J said:
But lots of selective schools have plenty of sports, and many students do excel and manage to represent Australia. There are also many talented musicians and all.
Also, selective schools have the highest 99+ turnover rate (and you'll probably surprised they're not all your typical can't catch a ball geek)
Most kids I know only went to private because they couldn't get into a good selective HS.
Jana Pittman, champion athlete, hailed from Girraween High School.

Generator

HSC
N/A
wrx said:
Um Bob.J i do go selective........Dumbarse.:rolleyes: Plus i haven't done the hsc yet, and yes im on track for getting MY UAI aim. So im not some prick who is 'jealous' of not getting into selective....

Im not saying the public system is shit, but it doesn't offer enough. Yeah i was wrong when i said about "there's no point getting 99....." Bit of an extreme generalisation that didnt make sense;) But private schools encourage so much more, care much more and offer much more. All these things cost money, and in the end its worth it. Umm most of the activities you mentioned are covered by the school, but sport i.e. is a joke in public, unless u go to a sports high or something.
He cannot be a dumbarse for not knowing that you attend a selective high. The only reason that I know that you attend manly (or whatever it may be called now) is because you answered a question of mine earlier in the thread.

Another point to consider is that you appear to be generalising non-public schools something severe... I can assure that most non-public schools offer no more than the standard comprehensive high (apart from a supposedly religious environment, that is).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
No i dont go to manly. Point taken. Well im 100% sure private schools offer much more than the standard comprehensive high. But which "most non-public schools" are you basing ur ideas on?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Generator said:
He cannot be a dumbarse for not knowing that you attend a selective high. The only reason that I know that you attend manly (or whatever it may be called now) is because you answered a question of mine earlier in the thread.

Another point to consider is that you appear to be generalising non-public schools something severe... I can assure that most non-public schools offer no more than the standard comprehensive high (apart from a supposedly religious environment, that is).
ive always been at independant schools and i dont see a huge difference between some of them compared t opublic schools. my old school before going to barker was a christian school. about 25% would have been christian and the atmosphere (according to my sister who went there and also to galston high) said it was no better. to me going to the christian school was of little benefit and it cost alot more money (not overly expensive but not worth it). most independant schools from what ive heard are like this.

barker and others like, are more money but you pay for the whole team community thing, but they have great facilities which are payed for with the huge fees. its not selective in an academics sense though so there is a broad spectrum of people with different academic abilities rather than a huge number of very academically able students. barker is also a fair bit more image conscious and quite strict to maintain its image. basically you just get a bit more than the academic education at the more "elite" private schools while at the other private schools (generally speaking) with smaller fees i feel you are wasting your money.

if i didnt go to barker or couldnt go to a selective or private school id go somewhere like cherrybrook high. if you are willing to work hard youll get the support and great marks (from what ive heard).

so basically, if you arent able to pay big bickies for an elite private school, its not worth going private at all in my opinion. selective schools or good non selective schools are just as good or better but just different and probably less spoon feeding and better preparation for uni in many cases.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah i wasnt talking about small privates - just cas/gps etc. I agree with u there Luke, u do feel like u belong to something. You're proud to be under their banner...It sounds corny but its true.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Regular catholic systemic and the smaller independent schools. From what I know they offer just as much as a comprehensive high in terms of catering to the needs of the individual student. Besides, it is up to the student more so than the school in terms of what is gained (something that everyone has acknowledged, I think).

I'm not disputing that a number of non-public schools offer more than the standard comprehensive high, it's just that I think you are making an extreme generalisation in claiming that they (in general) offer much, much more :p.

Edit: The two posts above this seem to have clarified the issue.

Last edited:

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
if i didnt go to barker or couldnt go to a selective or private school id go somewhere like cherrybrook high.

props to the 'brook yo.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
smh has huge wraps on chinabrook tech. i dont know if some private schools are worth the money. i was offered one of those dodgy part scholarships way back in year six to hills grammar and i went there as a guest one day to look around and figured out that going to a public school wouldnt be much different besides the nice school grounds and very clean classrooms.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well, the thing is, that going to a selective school or a very good non-selective school will MOST PROBBABLY motivate you a lot. I went to school overseas first, and I was the top of my grade without any effort--85-90% kinda thing. When I came here, though I'm not at a selective school, I'm at a very good private school. I was placed in the middle of the grade, and the competition was so strong it motivated me to work much harder. So though I can't say for certain taht a selective school will motivate you, there's a much greater chance it will (hence the 'most probably' in capital letters) beacuse you'll be with like-minded people, and it all helps to lift our game.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
LaraB said:
yeah well obviously i know that...

what i was saying is that one person cannot say that 'parents' wont care about fees if you do relatively well in school because that's not true
Why isn't that true? They may feel it was worth it if you do relatively well.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
Private schools, it would appear, offer more for those who are excelling or doing well in an area unlike comprehensives which, as they are public schools that anyone can attend, which give opportunities for EVERYONE in all activities.

So, I agree that private schools offer more, in general but not 100%, to people who are the elite, but i am 100000% sure that comprehensives offer much more opportunities to the students as a whole.
"As a whole" what do you mean by that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)