Going to a selective school (1 Viewer)

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
do people who come from a non selective government high school and then they make it into a selective school and go to a selective school do well in the hsc when they go to a selective school

what do you guys think

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Dimsimmer said:
do people who come from a non selective government high school and then they make it into a selective school and go to a selective school do well in the hsc when they go to a selective school

what do you guys think

Generaly yes, in fact someone transferring in will probably do better than alot of the people who got accepted in year 7, who are clever but incredibly lazy... like myself.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
depends?
if u got spirit and u do well yer...

but if u get beaten cos its so competitive then well ull do okish.. but u should hav stayed at ure old school.

and
depends on the selective school too ..

unmentionable

HSC
uh huh depends on the person
the dux of our school (good selective school) only came in yr11

HSC
N/A
It can depend on school - eg some selectives are more "in demand" - but generally the "later" you come in, the better you are expected/presumed to do. As few selective students drop out, competition for one of the rare openings is incredibly high. Hence, someone who just missed out on North Sydney Girls in Yr 6 might find it very difficult to get into Hornsby Girls a few years later.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
it depends really. For a fact the grade above us, when they accepted the new year 11, they were "lazier" than the rest of the grade, but for our it was the opposite. I dont think there's a general trend, though i think people that make the effort to try and get into a selective school later on, will end up doing better.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
It varies for different people. I have some friends who are doing extremely well after they'd gotten into a selective high school this year. But some are just not coping, they suffer so much from the stress and their self esteem has really been beaten up.

The "Big Fish Little Pond effect" proposes that students, who possess above-average abilities, will encounter a decline in academic self-concept when they enter a school full of equally or more gifted peers. They compare their own abilities with more able peers, and so they develop a self concept that they are inept. With pressure, competition and external expectations (eg. from parents) adding on, they are likely to get poorer results than that they would get in a normal government school.

But for some people, going to a selective school will help them because a more competitive environment, and similarly gifted peers, will stimulate their intelligence and motivate them even more. I think it has to do with that student's personality and self concept - - but selective school really isn't for everyone. And it's not a guarantee for a great HSC.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
selective suits me just fine. Come on combined law!

sadly, i not nerdy/study hard enough to get into sydney uni's

icxdragon

HSC
N/A
meLoncoLLie said:
It varies for different people. I have some friends who are doing extremely well after they'd gotten into a selective high school this year. But some are just not coping, they suffer so much from the stress and their self esteem has really been beaten up.
Same here. At school some of the newbies do really well, they basically top and stun the rest of the oldies. Although probably cos they soz much harder than the rest fo us. However, there's the other side, which really dont do very well. They practically fail every test, and find incredibly difficult. Just depends, if you work hard, you should do fine. Not as well as you might have in your old non-selective school, but competition is definately a good thing. It puts things into perspective

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
In my opinion selective school may help you in terms of competiveness, you may work harder when people around you work hard. However for some people it may not work in their favour if they are beaten by a large majority of people. Personally id rather be dux of an average school than be in the middle of a selective. I worked harder knowing that the rest of the year was trying to beat me. In terms of your UAI, since raw marks are used to calculate UAI and these are not affected by rankings and school etc...going to a selective school will not give you an advantage if you got the same marks in an average school

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i know ppl who have been doing well in a local school, when transfered to selective, they have just went down teh drain, being demoralise the fact selective ppl are fighting a war on each other for marks :D

furryfish

1337 h4x0r
HSC
yup... comes as a shock, esp. wen somebody is use to coming first at their normal skl suddnely faces all this competition... and watches their ranks go down....

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
In my opinion selective school may help you in terms of competiveness, you may work harder when people around you work hard. However for some people it may not work in their favour if they are beaten by a large majority of people. Personally id rather be dux of an average school than be in the middle of a selective. I worked harder knowing that the rest of the year was trying to beat me. In terms of your UAI, since raw marks are used to calculate UAI and these are not affected by rankings and school etc...going to a selective school will not give you an advantage if you got the same marks in an average school
This becomes a problem when duxing the "normal" (my school is probably below average) school or topping most subjects becomes so easy it makes it hard to study pre HSC. Because you know that if you come first by 1% it is the same for you as coming first by 25%. I've threw an assesment for physics worth 15% did about 30-45 mins on it in total. I still came first, really not the best work habit.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
This becomes a problem when duxing the "normal" (my school is probably below average) school or topping most subjects becomes so easy it makes it hard to study pre HSC. Because you know that if you come first by 1% it is the same for you as coming first by 25%. I've threw an assesment for physics worth 15% did about 30-45 mins on it in total. I still came first, really not the best work habit.
Fortunately i did not have that problem, although my school isnt the best there is its probably above average. Luckily in each subject i had atleast 2-3 people who challenged for first place, in maths at any time almost anyone in the class could top the test. The tests are normally above average in difficulty in my school. But yes that is a problem to some non-selective schools

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Xayma said:
Are you serious...?!

Although my school is a normal public school, there's too many people in one year and that gives you a lot of people you have to beat, in order to dux something.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
We have 103. My maths ext mark was often 25%+ ahead of second and that is if I stuffed up and only got 75% or so.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
'Osmosis' needs not work for everyone, but as a whole meLoncoLLie is right - it really just depends on the individual's personality and self-concept.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
We have 103. My maths ext mark was often 25%+ ahead of second and that is if I stuffed up and only got 75% or so.
Fortunately there were some challengers in my school that didnt allow me to slack off. Leading up to the trial i was beating second place by 0.6%

haejin

In many ways.
firstly, the environment at the selective school is generally more academic, as oposed to other schools, which (seriously) are generally more bogan, or sport orientated.
Secondly, the textbooks they use and the experience of the teachers. Every subject is advanced and there are extra curricula thigns and the such
Thirdly, when it comes to school assesment ranking, since generally the whole grade is above other standards to "normal" schools, everyone is ranked up alot more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)