Going to a selective school (1 Viewer)

HSC
laziness is the killer ov study! i just cn't b bothered sometimes..>.<" ani idea how to cure this problem!? i fink a lotta pplz need to find somefin that can motivate them to do well...=.='

kelboo

HSC
.::icemeLon::. said:
this debate is actualli pwetti useless in a wai...
everione has different opinions on whether selective skOoL or just normaL public skOoLz are betta..
parents esp. will recommend selective skOoLz.. because in their mind.. it'z like "one foot in uni"
but wah is the point of comin last in a selective skOoL when u can come first in a normaL skOoL... isn't ur rank realli a major consideration for ur UAI..
it all comes down to personal values..
and whether or not u like the environment of the skOoL^-^

You're forgetting also that it largely depends on how your grade at your school does as a whole... which is why being in a more intelligent group of people can really pay off.

kelboo

HSC
.::icemeLon::. said:
laziness is the killer ov study! i just cn't b bothered sometimes..>.<" ani idea how to cure this problem!? i fink a lotta pplz need to find somefin that can motivate them to do well...=.='
There is no cure!! The way I see it is, I managed to graduate and still be very very very lazy. Just wait it out. If you are as lazy as me, even waiting a very long time will be no problem!!! :rolleyes: :)

HSC
kelboo said:
You're forgetting also that it largely depends on how your grade at your school does as a whole... which is why being in a more intelligent group of people can really pay off.
i agree with that.. but wouldn't some pplz get intimidated by all those smart pplz.. when they are gettin the lowest marks.? it still comes down to personal choice..
it'z waheva u feel comfortable.. so *shrugs*

kelboo

HSC
I definitely agree... but purely education-wise it is probably the best environment to be in.
I am still lazy, but the competition with the students pushes most people to want to do their best.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
kelboo said:
But it cancels out because you will be ranked lower in that more intelligent cohort as a consequence.

haejin

Going to Ruse or Baulko definatly would help push up your assesment marks, cos everyone does fairly good, but from what my friends there have told me, the environment isn't the best, and some people fail to study well cos of stress and depression. Girra im heaps happy with....its good marks without the heart failure.

haejin

LaraB said:
Have you been to baulko or ruse? coz it seems that you think you're quite an expert on how we're all so inferior..

I'm not gonna waste my time responding to each of your so called facts coz i can simply respond by saying you're full of shite and everything you have said are complete over generalisations based on a few individuals....

You obviously have some serious weird issues with people as a whole if you feel a need to position yourself and your surrounds as being so socially superior...you seem to just have some stupid agenda to prove girraween is better than everyone else or something when to b e honest, its not....like baulko and ruse and sydney and all the other selective schools its a good school but none can be claimed to be better than the others....
unless, alike you, someone wishes to embarass themselves with stupid generalisation which can be proven wrong by simply speaking to a few people at baulko or ruse or even girraween as I have friends who've gone there or come to my school from there and they all have said more or less the same things - that girraween's a lot like baulko and sydney high

Just one thing tho.....perhaps you may have thought that we're competitive, juyst like your school and any selective school is, because we do love whatever it is that we want to do and somethings you have to be competitive to get there like law or music

And then there's also the point that most of the people who do well at my school at music and sport or whatever do well because they enjoy it so they want to put the time into it and prizes n shit are just a bonus....

Seriously, once and for all just get over yourself....

No one's out to get Girraween so you dont have to become some nutcase crusader defending their image...

As i have said over and over again in the hope that you'd shut up and get over it, Girraween is a good school, so's ruse, so's baulko, just like most selective schools...

But, feel free to keep goin on about how we're what did you say, "socially inept?" and competition focused because i know that my friends and people in my grade for the majority aren't and to be honest until you can find some way of proving that we're all such plebs and you're the king of all shit like you keep indicating, everything you say doesn't mean shit :)
basically here, i think we're all just agreeing that all selective schools are heaps better then shitty schools like Seven Hills High and Blacktown Girls.
True, it woudl seem people who go to baulko and james are 'stuck up', but what the hell, so am i and i go to girra. I say anyone who goes to a selective school deserves to be acknowledged academically- we study heaps more harder then necessary without being asked. i applaud us all! *clap clap clap*

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
haejin_is_irish said:
True, it woudl seem people who go to baulko and james are 'stuck up', but what the hell, so am i and i go to girra.
Obviously.

If a fair few of selective school students are like you (luckily it doesn't seem the case on these boards) I'm glad I don't go to one.

haejin

hmm well when i drive past you when your on your way to tafe, we'll see who had the better UAI

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
haejin_is_irish said:
hmm well when i drive past you when your on your way to tafe, we'll see who had the better UAI
A few things:

a) If I was to go to TAFE I would go to a local one, hence for you to drive past me, you would have to go to CSU or La Trobe in which case you shouldn't be bragging.
b) I never said I wasn't capable of going to a selective school, but the fact that one of the closest ones would be Melbourne High seems to limit my options
c) UAI is no measure of intelligence and is more a reflection of how much one memorised the syllabus rather then learning about more information, even if it might be outside the syllabus, if my UAI suffers marginally for that I am happy as I will get the UAI required for my course and I would have learnt more about what I am interested in/

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I applied for a selective school in yr 11 for yr 12 ... they didn't accept me cos they thought it was too late to train my brain into their "way of doing things" I guess. Principal's words "There's not a lot we can do with you in a year". He was wrong, or maybe he was right, I could've done even better... we just won't know will we? It doesn't matter anyway, I reckon the inner motivation/drive comes from within. If you want it bad, you will do what it takes to achieve it.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My brother applied for Girraween. His school principal refused to give him a letter of recommendation, on the basis that he didn't feel that the stronger academic environment would benefit my brother. Problem was, he said that for all his students, since he was anti-selective school. I had a heated debate with his school principal about the merits of selective schooling over comprehensive schooling, arguing that in the stronger learning environment, he would not only be more motivated to work, but also have subject choices open to him that aren't available at any other schools in the area (Software Design & Development). He never got the recommendation, and my former school denied my brother a place.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i know ppl who went to baulko, and they were quite lovely, friendly, and actually were on my soccer team, so were quite well rounded. I also know a girl from ruse who was the "failure" of her year (she got 96 or something like that) but she is doing the course she wanted to do and is quite happy. She said she was one of about 6 ppl in the 2 unit maths class... crazy!

I think that these days anyone can do well, all the resources are online, and with sites like this, even if your teacher sux there are many other places to turn to. If you are motivated enough, you can do well anywhere.

HSC
haejin_is_irish said:
basically here, i think we're all just agreeing that all selective schools are heaps better then shitty schools like Seven Hills High and Blacktown Girls.
True, it woudl seem people who go to baulko and james are 'stuck up', but what the hell, so am i and i go to girra. I say anyone who goes to a selective school deserves to be acknowledged academically- we study heaps more harder then necessary without being asked. i applaud us all! *clap clap clap*
u know.. i will totalli disagree here! just because u go to a selective skOoL doesn't mean u study harder!! mani pplz have actualli realised that some pplz in non-selective skOoLs studies harder than selective students! The newli transferred pplz in yr 10 or 11 tends to do betta than pplz who'z been there since yr 7! the selective skOoLz is onli "betta" becoz the majority there studies.. while onli the minorities in non-selective skOoLs study hard! therefore, in the end, selective skOol students seems to get higher results! no one can realli sai selective skOoLz are betta...
:D

HSC
N/A
Even though I can BARELY understand all that netspeak (is it really necessary?!?!) I must agree.

I don't think that all selective students study their butts off, because I'm a prime example. I'm against the whole learning-by-rote thing, because I suck at it. English is my friend... anyway.

What I will say however, is that we do try harder. There's generally a lot more peer support/pressure in regards to working reasonably hard, and your friends can easily double up as study buddies. Selective schools tend to have better teachers that are willing to work harder, and selective schools also tend to have better students that are willing to take advantage of the better teachers and resources (if any) avaliable. Hence, selective schools tend to do well because there is that combination of good teachers + good students + good, supportive learning environment.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Many of the people who did really well in the HSC at my school actually rote-learnt entire english essays, then just wrote them out when they were in the exam.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
glitterfairy said:
What I will say however, is that we do try harder. There's generally a lot more peer support/pressure in regards to working reasonably hard, and your friends can easily double up as study buddies. Selective schools tend to have better teachers that are willing to work harder, and selective schools also tend to have better students that are willing to take advantage of the better teachers and resources (if any) avaliable. Hence, selective schools tend to do well because there is that combination of good teachers + good students + good, supportive learning environment.
Selective schools don't have "better" teachers. The teachers are more motivated to teach because in the class of 30, all 30 want to learn. In public schools, in a class of 30, all 30 don't want to learn hence they really can't be bothered.

Just want to make sure people don't get the wrong idea.

HSC
N/A
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Although, some of my teachers are really really good... and other teachers at my school are really really good, and I would say that not only are they more inclined to teach, but they are actually really good teachers.

By the same token, we have some real duds though. *makes strangling motions*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)