Good Tips for Year 11 Preliminary and tips to aim for 99.5 ATAR (1 Viewer)

TrainXIV

HSC
Hey guys. I just finish year 10 and starting the preliminary course next year n I would love to hav some tips on how to do well.
And also, I'm thinkin of doin medicine in Uni n so im doin these subjects in year 11: English Advanced, Maths Extension 1, Bio, Jap Continuers, PDHPE, Chemistry. Is it good?

As u guys know Med in Uni needs high ATAR. Especially in Uni of Queensland where they want 99.5 ATAR (equivalent to OP1). Any tips?

SImon05089

HSC
Yep as long as you study hard, and everyday you will do well =) That is what everyone says, but please refer to this thread, for the best tips of all =)

http://community.boredofstudies.org...iminary-hsc/231149/study-motivation-tips.html

It is actually on the General Discussion on the Preliminary HSC, a couple of threads above yours. This is really good, I was reading it the other day, and it got me motivated, but now, the motivation is probably all gone!

But anyways, enjoy reading it =) But seriously i think the best way, is always to keep organised, and study everyday, especially maths, to me when I do extension maths, i am not going to study maths before exams, I want maths to be like 1 + 1, and know everything off by heart, not just memorising. Memorising can be done for subjects like chemistry and physics, but for maths, I really think it is not.

but anyways I don't know what I'm talking about,

Good luck with your studies =)

Schoey93

HSC
Hey guys. I just finish year 10 and starting the preliminary course next year n I would love to hav some tips on how to do well.
And also, I'm thinkin of doin medicine in Uni n so im doin these subjects in year 11: English Advanced, Maths Extension 1, Bio, Jap Continuers, PDHPE, Chemistry. Is it good?

As u guys know Med in Uni needs high ATAR. Especially in Uni of Queensland where they want 99.5 ATAR (equivalent to OP1). Any tips?
An MB,BS (Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery) or a B Med (Bachelor of Medicine) are similar-identical courses and NEITHER has prerequisite subjects or assumed knowledge beyond literacy in the English language. That's if you're aiming to study New South Wales-delivered Medicine at USYD, UNSW, UWS, UNCLE+UNE CMP.

So of course your subjects "is good". You could do CAFS and SaC and they would actually help as UNSW Medicine/Surgery and UWS Medicine/Surgery I know to be very society and good practice; ethics based. So "impact on society" questions in science are annoying but help medicine candidates have proper ethics and not be like my horrible, mutilator obstetrician Graeme Reeves who removed not only foreskin but women's clitorises and cervixes.
\
He is now banned from practicing Australian Medicine. And he has a criminal record.

So we don't want more mutilators do we? Women and boys have a right to genital integrity. Anyways:

1. Your subjects are fine. Biology will be most helpful. Chem less so, but still helpful.
  2. You're not doing ESL. Good.
  3. Is it possible to talk properly? An MBBS tests communication and literacy skills. Please polish your posts so people take you a bit more seriously... but it's up ta you.
  4. Medicine does not require an ATAR of 99.5 unless you wish to do USYD medicine. But even then you do a B Sci (Adv) or B Sci (Med) and that takes three years, then you do medicine postgrad without sitting GAMSAT. In short, USYD medicine sucks for undergrad, cuz it's technically postgrad but without the annoying GAMSAT (a test of English and scientific method+ethics)
  5. Do what you love. Hmmm obvious but you seem to wanna do Medicine cuz of the prestige and MONEY (cough, loser, cough) and that's a bad thing. If this is the case, please don't study medicine because Medical Practitioners like you wreck and damage healthCARE

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
An MB,BS (Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery) or a B Med (Bachelor of Medicine) are similar-identical courses and NEITHER has prerequisite subjects or assumed knowledge beyond literacy in the English language. That's if you're aiming to study New South Wales-delivered Medicine at USYD, UNSW, UWS, UNCLE+UNE CMP.

So of course your subjects "is good". You could do CAFS and SaC and they would actually help as UNSW Medicine/Surgery and UWS Medicine/Surgery I know to be very society and good practice; ethics based. So "impact on society" questions in science are annoying but help medicine candidates have proper ethics and not be like my horrible, mutilator obstetrician Graeme Reeves who removed not only foreskin but women's clitorises and cervixes.
\
He is now banned from practicing Australian Medicine. And he has a criminal record.

So we don't want more mutilators do we? Women and boys have a right to genital integrity. Anyways:

1. Your subjects are fine. Biology will be most helpful. Chem less so, but still helpful.
  2. You're not doing ESL. Good.
  3. Is it possible to talk properly? An MBBS tests communication and literacy skills. Please polish your posts so people take you a bit more seriously... but it's up ta you.
  4. Medicine does not require an ATAR of 99.5 unless you wish to do USYD medicine. But even then you do a B Sci (Adv) or B Sci (Med) and that takes three years, then you do medicine postgrad without sitting GAMSAT. In short, USYD medicine sucks for undergrad, cuz it's technically postgrad but without the annoying GAMSAT (a test of English and scientific method+ethics)
  5. Do what you love. Hmmm obvious but you seem to wanna do Medicine cuz of the prestige and MONEY (cough, loser, cough) and that's a bad thing. If this is the case, please don't study medicine because Medical Practitioners like you wreck and damage healthCARE
2 -->Doing ESL does not prevent a person from doing med.

4--> Usyd requires 99.95 (combined med entry)

Schoey93

HSC
Yep as long as you study hard, and everyday you will do well =) That is what everyone says, but please refer to this thread, for the best tips of all =)

http://community.boredofstudies.org...iminary-hsc/231149/study-motivation-tips.html

It is actually on the General Discussion on the Preliminary HSC, a couple of threads above yours. This is really good, I was reading it the other day, and it got me motivated, but now, the motivation is probably all gone!

But anyways, enjoy reading it =) But seriously i think the best way, is always to keep organised, and study everyday, especially maths, to me when I do extension maths, i am not going to study maths before exams, I want maths to be like 1 + 1, and know everything off by heart, not just memorising. Memorising can be done for subjects like chemistry and physics, but for maths, I really think it is not.

but anyways I don't know what I'm talking about,

Good luck with your studies =)
It is very, very possible to do maths by rote-learning and memorising. It's what most people who studied high school maths back in the day did (I'm talking 1950s-1980s). So very possible.

We have medical practitioners walking around with the quadratic formula in their head, and that's not a good thing cuz one can safely presume they don't have a clue what it's for.

I'm glad that you actually want to study maths the proper way though. And people may say "English is a memory test" but if you're good like me at English you can make technique+describe+effect+impact come as naturally as 2 x 4 =8

Watch me analyse Numb by Linkin Park off the top of my head (I'm not lying.)

The words "I tried so hard to watch you fall, but in the end it doesn't even matter" elicit a sense of the author's disgust at the actions of their 'keeper' or friend. Emphasising "doesn't even matter" through stressing it in speech during the song gives a sense of hopelessness. The effect of this aura; this sense of struggle and despair places sympathy in the responder's mind, and their soul. The line is sung with such feeling that as a whole it holds the responder's attention, grasps them tight; taking them along for the ride as an abusive relationship falls apart.

That took about 2-5 min

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
2 -->Doing ESL does not prevent a person from doing med.

4--> Usyd requires 99.95 (combined med entry)
+1

And doing ESL is better than doing English standard FYI.

@OP - Seeing as you're doing med make sure the subjects you are doing are a balance of what you enjoy and your best subjects. Also i usually maintain that you do subjects you enjoy, seeing as you want a high ATAR for med i'd take scaling into account. Most of your subjects are fine scaling wise so as long as you do great in them you'll get a great ATAR.

Now PDHPE is a capped subject (crappy scaling and you can't get 100/100 for the scaled mark IE the mark UAC uses to calculate your ATAR) so unless you think you can get a super high mark (the higher the mark the less scaling negatively affects your ATAR), i'd consider swapping subjects or just dropping it. You're doing 13 units - i understand that you want some backup units but you're probably better off dropping 1 or 2 units and concentrate on your remaining ones.

Of course, it's all up to you. 13 units isn't that much work if you're willing to work hard so go for it if you love PDHPE. But think of all the extra time you could be spending on your other subjects with one subject gone.... if you don't procrastinate. I'm just throwing some other options at you because i have no idea how good you are at any of your subjects :)

The words "I tried so hard to watch you fall, but in the end it doesn't even matter" elicit a sense of the author's disgust at the actions of their 'keeper' or friend. Emphasising "doesn't even matter" through stressing it in speech during the song gives a sense of hopelessness. The effect of this aura; this sense of struggle and despair places sympathy in the responder's mind, and their soul. The line is sung with such feeling that as a whole it holds the responder's attention, grasps them tight; taking them along for the ride as an abusive relationship falls apart.

That took about 2-5 min
You mean In the End by Linkin Park? XD

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
We have medical practitioners walking around with the quadratic formula in their head, and that's not a good thing cuz one can safely presume they don't have a clue what it's for.
Uh, how is medical practitioners knowing the quadratic formula a bad thing? And that's a pretty ridiculous assumption to draw from it.

I'm glad that you actually want to study maths the proper way though. And people may say "English is a memory test" but if you're good like me at English you can make technique+describe+effect+impact come as naturally as 2 x 4 =8

That took about 2-5 min
Besides that a little modesty never hurt anyone, if my teacher was marking that you wouldn't get more than a 10/15 if you were lucky. I know you're only in yr10 and did that off the top of your head, but the quotes [all two of them] are too long, not integrated very well, repeated and do not cover the text as a whole; there is no clear line of argument; you'd need to give a brief overview of the text; it is more descriptive than analytical, and the wording and grammar needs to be worked on.

But, you know, you have two years.

Schoey93

HSC
Uh, how is medical practitioners knowing the quadratic formula a bad thing? And that's a pretty ridiculous assumption to draw from it.

Besides that a little modesty never hurt anyone, if my teacher was marking that you wouldn't get more than a 10/15 if you were lucky. I know you're only in yr10 and did that off the top of your head, but the quotes [all two of them] are too long, not integrated very well, repeated and do not cover the text as a whole; there is no clear line of argument; you'd need to give a brief overview of the text; it is more descriptive than analytical, and the wording and grammar needs to be worked on.

But, you know, you have two years.
Geezus you sound like Gabriela Bourke! Always too fussy about the use of English. But her mum's an English teacher and Gabz has read every book known to man :p:hat:

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, and whoever this is, if it is/isn't Gabi...

You know whatever, you have no kindess.
No, I'm not Gabi, but thank you for making a largely unfounded judgement on my character based on one post. If I were to do likewise, I might have labelled you as an pretentious, arrogant little prick, but I haven't. Why yes, I do have no kindness. I steal lollipops from babies and trip over innocent old ladies in supermarkets. I did say that was how my teacher marked, which from experience is true. If you don't want feedback, I suggest you don't post your work online.

But I'm off topic. @OP, if you're aiming for a high ATAR, I'd say study moderately and consistently through yr11. Keep up to date and make sure you understand all the concepts; if possible, make notes as you learn and revise them when you can. In yr12, up the study especially around exams. If you enjoy your subjects and do well in them, you should be fine :]

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
No, I'm not Gabi, but thank you for making a largely unfounded judgement on my character based on one post. If I were to do likewise, I might have labelled you as an pretentious, arrogant little prick, but I haven't. Why yes, I do have no kindness. I steal lollipops from babies and trip over innocent old ladies in supermarkets. I did say that was how my teacher marked, which from experience is true. If you don't want feedback, I suggest you don't post your work online.

But I'm off topic. @OP, if you're aiming for a high ATAR, I'd say study moderately and consistently through yr11. Keep up to date and make sure you understand all the concepts; if possible, make notes as you learn and revise them when you can. In yr12, up the study especially around exams. If you enjoy your subjects and do well in them, you should be fine :]

LOL Schoey does that. He thought I was a "Sophie" and he thought annabackwards was some girl from Marian College. But you gotta love his crazy posts.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
LOL Schoey does that. He thought I was a "Sophie" and he thought annabackwards was some girl from Marian College. But you gotta love his crazy posts.
Aha he thought i was from Marian College? I had never heard of that school until right now XD

His posts are usually misinformed - just spent a while debunking the misconceptions that he had as well as those of others *sighs

Back on topic: OP - Be sure to priotise your work and complete tasks in a way that is efficient. Little steps help in doing this but remember that your ultimate goal is to get the highest ATAR you can possible so pay attention to the larger picture ie your ranks and mark gaps. Aim to get 1st and if you're not first, aim to get 1st and failing that, work to minimise the mark gaps between you and those above you :)

wrecking

derp.
HSC
Yep as long as you study hard, and everyday you will do well =)
please don't go overboard with the studying in year 11, but try your best. it's a year where you should experiment with the different ways of studying and seeing which one suits your learning best. i don't recommend you studying 4 hrs everyday in year 11 because that's going to kill you. but who knows, it works differently for everyone. however, do keep up with homework and organise your notes so they are written according to the syllabus. utilise your time well and try to not measure studying by the hours -- but by how much you understand the topic. i also found that for me, having just at least a 10 minute break between every half hour helps heaps and allowed me to do my work/study effectively.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, that's true. He's pretty hilarious, but I can never quite decide whether he actually seriously believes everything he says or not. Btw, I love your sig haha :D

@annabackwards he thought 'anna' was a pseudonym and you were actually called nicole or something haha. I do admire your patience in all the debunking though, nice work :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)