Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
rotary's eh? *bapnby* I drove a series 2 rx7 race car not long ago, it was a sweet ride but a bit small for me with the roll cage and all. The thing was, it didn't have much torque, then again it was just an N/A rotary, no turbo.

Mr Will

HSC
redslert said:
Double Clutching is :
Throttle Off
Clutch In
Shift to neutral
Clutch Out
Blip Throttle
Clutch In
Shift to gear
Clutch Out
Throttle On.

basically it is ONLY used in trucks or old old old cars without synchro gear box which means when you shift gears you have to match the rev with the gear...so you blip the throttle before pulling into the gear

in newer cars this is not needed and driving like this in city driving would be stupid
no you don't get more power, i think you will actually slow down more because it takes you longer to shift to new gear
Thats not entirely true, double clutching is pretty useful when downshifting for a corner, it makes it much smoother and reduces the load on both your synchros and clutch.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i drove my uncle's 1938 chev and i had to double shuffle as he called it
it was fucking hard work, no power brakes, steering, no syncro the gearbox friggen hard to find,
but it was so much fun to drive

psyfre

Supercalifragilisticexp..
HSC
SlipStream said:
Wow what a statement. Clap clap. :rolleyes:

Do you have MSN? You'll find I'm a million times easier to get along with chatting online. We might even become friends...

For the moment, my 'arrogance' is merely a product of my low post count. If I had something along the lines of 5000 posts, my 'arrogance' would be expected. I've been members of forums for way too long. I've met plenty of people like you.

And sure I do waste my time replying to most of the things you post. Would you prefer if I pretended you didn't exist? DaddyK, one of the main reasons I come to this forum is because I have found a use for everything I know, and I feel rewarded by helping people out with it. I reckon BOS is a substitute for me, replacing the fact that my know-how goes unrecognised at my work (Supercheap) and the other forum that I go to, my knowledge is not recognised and appreciated. At BOS, it is. And that's why I keep coming here - to help people. And I like the fact that I have been of help to them. Makes me happy.

I also come to BOS to stir people up a bit, which I'm damn well good at. Look how pissed off you are with me. Entertaining, if you ask me. :) I come across as arrogant, sure I agree, but only because I stir people up by correcting them constantly. Correcting you, constantly.

Why? Because you go over everyone of my posts like a lice comb through a bum's hair trying to find any flaw or mistake I make. And you damn well make sure I am aware of it. So it is only natural that I return the favour. It's not my fault you have more lice than your average bum, so to speak.

Thanks for your support, yenta. You're one of the many people who appreciate my contribution. :) I'll get back to your questions soon.
i only got up to this post and cldnt read anymore without saying - fuck ur a gimp.

SlipStream

HSC
psyfre said:
i only got up to this post and cldnt read anymore without saying - fuck ur a gimp.
Good to see you're in touch with the happenings of today, champ.

That post is over 4 months old.

Since then, DaddyK and I have become really good mates. We work at the same company, we have the same sense of humour, we like the same kind of music, we share a common passion for cars, we like the same kind of woman...

We're meeting up at the Autobarn Drift Nationals at Oran Park on October 1.

So, basically, fuck off.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
a guy from my work is going in that
he has a white 4dr R32 skyline
i'm probably going out there to

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:

Since then, DaddyK and I have become really good mates. We work at the same company, we have the same sense of humour, we like the same kind of music, we share a common passion for cars, we like the same kind of woman...

So, basically, fuck off.
dude, i hate to say it, but you write really weird (to put it in a nice way)

mishka

HSC
N/A
i have a question:
Well it begins with a short story. I was driving to uni today and it was very heavy traffic... I was sitting in the moving carpark when I heard a loud bang (like a bomb going off). I looked in my mirror and the car behind me was clouded by all this white-ish smoke. I couldn't even really see the car because there was so much smoke.

I immediately thought "radiator" but is there anything else that would cause so much smoke and such a loud explosion?? :eek:

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
dude, i hate to say it, but you write really weird (to put it in a nice way)
Thankyou? I tend to write unconventionally cos I'm used to writing creatively (I did 4u English) - and in school originality and an original style are something to strive towards.

Mishka said:
i have a question:
Well it begins with a short story. I was driving to uni today and it was very heavy traffic... I was sitting in the moving carpark when I heard a loud bang (like a bomb going off). I looked in my mirror and the car behind me was clouded by all this white-ish smoke. I couldn't even really see the car because there was so much smoke.

I immediately thought "radiator" but is there anything else that would cause so much smoke and such a loud explosion??
Depends - was it steam or smoke? Normally easy to tell the difference - smoke tends to float away but steam tends to "dissolve" if you know what I mean. If it was white, then it was likely to be steam - cars often overheat in traffic because there is no air running through the radiator to remove the heat from the coolant. They normally have thermostatic fans instead that come on when things get a little hot, that "pull" the air through the radiator. The guy maybe could have not put his radiator cap on properly, and the pressure of the boiling coolant could have made it pop off, making the bang sound and then the coolant being able to expand would have boiled and thus the steam. When you pressurise water, its boiling point is raised - when it is suddenly depressurised (i.e. removing a radiator cap) the water boils rapidly and the steam only has one place to go - through the radiator neck.

It could also maybe have been your car backfiring with a clump of burnt oil - unlikely though.

studynoob

HSC
N/A
heh car obbession aint a bitch eh? im not thou but i laugh at you and your oil guzzling cars that in 20-30 years time you'll be driving a car that runs on water,electric and solar power going at a even slower speed and power! hey! thats gonna happen whether you like it or not unless.. they use uranium and you'll never have to refill ur car for another 100 years! cool huh?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
it could have been the fuse for the fan.
that happened to me in my dad's ute, the fluse blew, so when i was at a set of lights, instead of the fan kicking in to cool the engine, it just everheated, an when ti did it, there were some lnd bangs an crack from the block.
but it doesnt seem to have done any lasting damage

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
SlipStream said:

So, basically, fuck off.
Hi slip *waves*

It is true, me and slipstream here have become good mates. So shut up all of you who refer to gimps and slipstream in the same sentence!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Hi slip *waves*

It is true, me and slipstream here have become good mates. So shut up all of you who refer to gimps and slipstream in the same sentence!
hahaa...how about slipstream isnt a gimp?

same sentence :rolleyes:

mishka

HSC
N/A
SlipStream said:
Depends - was it steam or smoke? Normally easy to tell the difference - smoke tends to float away but steam tends to "dissolve" if you know what I mean. If it was white, then it was likely to be steam - cars often overheat in traffic because there is no air running through the radiator to remove the heat from the coolant. They normally have thermostatic fans instead that come on when things get a little hot, that "pull" the air through the radiator. The guy maybe could have not put his radiator cap on properly, and the pressure of the boiling coolant could have made it pop off, making the bang sound and then the coolant being able to expand would have boiled and thus the steam. When you pressurise water, its boiling point is raised - when it is suddenly depressurised (i.e. removing a radiator cap) the water boils rapidly and the steam only has one place to go - through the radiator neck.

It could also maybe have been your car backfiring with a clump of burnt oil - unlikely though.
:rolleyes: wow, what a guru!! :p It was definitely not my car - the smoke/steam was coming from under his bonnet, around the sides and stuff - it looked pretty bad :eek: Besides, I'm a good girl and check these things and get my car serviced when it's due!!

Thanks for that.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Your still walking on thin ice with that sentence braad...*cradles shot gun*
hahaha...for some reason that reminded me of dukes of hazard, which in turn meant muscle cars....mmmmm

SlipStream

HSC
mishka said:
:rolleyes: wow, what a guru!! :p It was definitely not my car - the smoke/steam was coming from under his bonnet, around the sides and stuff - it looked pretty bad :eek: Besides, I'm a good girl and check these things and get my car serviced when it's due!!

Thanks for that.

:) No worries! The guy's car was overheating - if he kept on driving after that his engine would seize and he'd be in for a massive repair bill.

Good to see a girl who understands the importance of servicing their car! Too many people - even men - just ignore service intervals and rather they'll be satisfied with changing their oil and filter every 20 000 kays. :rolleyes:

braad, shut up you gimp. :D:p

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Hey I don't know much about turbos and how you activate them, I get the general idea of how they work in that they force more air into the compression chambers.

I'm just wondering why you have to apparently down shift to activate the turbo. Is it cause you activates at high RPM? And whats this about 1st, 2nd, 3rd stage turbo activation?

Turbos are for higher power further up and superchargers are for higher power lower down right? What's with say 12 psi boost? What's the psi measurement for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)