Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
hmm well i only know about the RB30E engine, but those you can advance 15 degrees or so running PULP

SlipStream

HSC
My mate's Skyline's RB30E ignition has been set up to run 98RON only (BP Ultimate). I'm not sure how much it has been advanced, although I'm thinking 14-15 degrees BTDC should do the job in my car.

Otherwise, I'll just tune it the way I was originally (manually). Keep advancing until it starts to ping, then retard a little. Probably do it this weekend after I've refueled.

SlipStream

HSC
lol I'd love to but I'm kinda poor at the moment... ;)

Hopefully I'll get it before my 18th next January.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Depends what you mean, in my opinion the xr8 shits all over the xr6 turbo, because 8's are awesome, and 6's are less awesome. But the turbo 6 is a bit quicker down the quater mile, that is, 400 and something metres. But it doesn't really come down to that with street driven cars, basically its ones opinion on which is better.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
the XR6T is actually faster than the V8, despite having 20kw less than it - due to the lighter weight of the engine in it. I daresay the XR8 would be quicker off the line though - cause the turbo would have lag, but when it gets the revs up, it'd shoot past. Its one of those never ending arguments really - cubes vs boost

SlipStream

HSC
The XR6T is marginally quicker than the XR8. The whole appeal of the XR6T is that it costs around $5k less and is just as fast. But it isn't heaps faster.

And the Barra240T under the bonnet of the XR6T doesn't produce enough boost to cause lag. Something like 6psi (or 0.4 bar). Plus the engineers ironed out any lag by using a smaller compressor and a larger turbine - the smaller compressor spools up almost instantly and because it is such a large engine, it can cope with the larger turbine. Plus the overall size of the turbo is a tad on the small side for such a large engine, because it makes so little boost.

What is better? Well as w1ck3d c10wn pointed out, the answer to that question arises from personal preference. Cubes or boost. Personally, I'd rather pocket five grand and take the boosted six pot. ;)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
The XR6T is marginally quicker than the XR8. The whole appeal of the XR6T is that it costs around $5k less and is just as fast. But it isn't heaps faster.

And the Barra240T under the bonnet of the XR6T doesn't produce enough boost to cause lag. Something like 6psi (or 0.4 bar). Plus the engineers ironed out any lag by using a smaller compressor and a larger turbine - the smaller compressor spools up almost instantly and because it is such a large engine, it can cope with the larger turbine. Plus the overall size of the turbo is a tad on the small side for such a large engine, because it makes so little boost.

What is better? Well as w1ck3d c10wn pointed out, the answer to that question arises from personal preference. Cubes or boost. Personally, I'd rather pocket five grand and take the boosted six pot. ;)
and the fact it's a fairly large motor to start with, low down torque already exists :).

i figure the XR6T is popular because family guys cant buyyyyyy a V8, so telling their wives they're getting a 6 works...even though it's a turbo (<---mates dad did this...worked well) :)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Yeah, slips right, the 6 wouldnt have lag, much to small, it would blaze off the line, the v8 would be boggy and well....v8 like.
lol, just find the right line between wheel spin and boggin...it exists, that's why sometimes an XR8 will smother the XR6 tuuuuuh-bo

8 still sounds better :cool:

Dj_danizm

HSC
N/A
SlipStream said:
By "converting" do you mean swapping the entire engine to a DET OR putting DET parts onto your DE to make it a turbo?

If I had a Pulsar and I was after a hairdryer to hang off the side of my engine, it'd probably be much cheaper to get a CA18DET front cut (with the computer) and drop it in, rather than having to pay someone to install a new turbo, tune it, iron out the gremlins (which takes ages, costs heaps, is irritating and a little depressing at times). The gremlins alone would put me right off.

At least with the factory DET engine, you can rest assured it has only the common, cheap gremlins that come with age; it is fully engineered and has been tested to meet high durability standards by Nissan. They've ironed out all the creases for you.

A CA18DET front cut (transaxle FWD) costs between about $2500 and $3500. It would cost much more to pay someone to install it; unless you go about doing it yourself.
Thanks, i was gonna do it with few mates that are 3rd yr mechanics so they no how to put it in and do all dat shti as they have done it to there own. But yeh i was thinking a ca18det front cut conversion.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
SlipStream said:
Here are the team of "experts" who will try to help out:

Me
DaddyK
braad
redslert
w1ck3ed c10wn
cyrax83
bong

People are added to this list that I feel have had a helpful input to this thread. I'll only take you off if you haven't helped out in a while. :p
DaddyK being my lil bro, i see no need to come on here to ask questions, ill just ask him... not that he actually helps me, when i do ask questions.. but anyway!!

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
my mate has a datto 1600 with a CA18DET
the thing is a fucking pocket rocket, it's basicly a shell with a engine. awesome power to weight ratio

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
yeah many drag records are from datson 1600s

though the r100 rotaries are faster

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Ahh its not my fult your rustbucket stalls every time you stop.
you are the perfect younger brother to an older sister

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
want2beSMART said:
yeah many drag records are from datson 1600s

though the r100 rotaries are faster
or RX3
i'd love a RX3 with a 13b

obuzme

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)