GOVT1105 Geopolitics (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm hoping to finish mine tonight (which is why I'm on Facebook and BOS :confused: ). I chose the Refugees and Migrants topic (Hispanic migration into the US)- it's really interesting but I'm finding it hard not to rant about how much of a bastard the author of the second article is:
"There is only the American dream created by an Anglo-Protestant society. Mexican Americans will share in that dream and in that society only if they dream in English"

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Hopefully I'll finish mine off tomorrow. Of course I won't, though. Need to do my archaeology assignment at some point as well.

KarmaKitten

HSC
jusdorange said:
I'm hoping to finish mine tonight (which is why I'm on Facebook and BOS :confused: ). I chose the Refugees and Migrants topic (Hispanic migration into the US)- it's really interesting but I'm finding it hard not to rant about how much of a bastard the author of the second article is:
"There is only the American dream created by an Anglo-Protestant society. Mexican Americans will share in that dream and in that society only if they dream in English"
I know what you mean.
I mean, in some points I can see the concerns of the migration. But the majority of the article is so damn biased.

AND LONG
im wondering why i choose this topic

stazi

Nightman
HSC
mexicans are sharing in the dream because they dont speak english. they are being exploited by other americans because of this (the illegal mexicans, anyway), but at the same time, they are living a much better life than they did in Mexico.

Mexicans are also short.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you think that's bad.....

that's all i've got for a whimsical reply :(

cowchicken

HSC
N/A
An unrelated reply, but i didnt want to start a new thread ...

I was wondering what cross listed units mean?
Would they be counted as my "commerce" units or arts units?
I'm planning to major in GOVT.

On the other hand, I'm dead for the assignment -_- ...
Goodluck to all! LOL

cowchicken

HSC
N/A
I'M ACTually doing commerce liberal studies and I only have enough units to do one arts major. However, according to this link

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/major/29

I'll be able to do some units from the faculty of arts for my govt major ie cross linked units. But I wasn't sure if they were counted towards my commerce units or my arts units, cause if its my arts then I wont have enough units for my arts major.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Yeah.

I'm a bit confused myself, i want to do major in history. Previously, it said i was only allowed 60units outside of the faculty, but now that eco/social sciences is moving into the arts department, does that mean i can take as many subjects in the arts

So confussiiiing

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
What were we meant to learn from today's lecture? I skipped the second half, so I might have missed something important, but it seemed that it was entirely about drawing vague links from protests to 'sovereignty' and 'territory' and 'space'.

Last edited:

KarmaKitten

HSC
I liked the part where he made that girl give him the note she was writing and he read it out to the class.

The second part was just a deeper analysis of protest movement with the four space factors being used to look at Northern Ireland and to a tiny tiny tiny tiny extent Israel and Palestin.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
I liked the part where he made that girl give him the note she was writing and he read it out to the class.
Dammit, I missed the best bit. (What did the note say?)
KarmaKitten said:
The second part was just a deeper analysis of protest movement with the four space factors being used to look at Northern Ireland and to a tiny tiny tiny tiny extent Israel and Palestin.
Valuable or incoherent?

KarmaKitten

HSC
Triangulum said:
Dammit, I missed the best bit. (What did the note say?)

Valuable or incoherent?
As to whether its valuable, im sure whatever he said, will be on blackboard. He seems to just read the notes anyways.
The main idea to me seems to be that protesters use territority to define and shift borders and boundaries and the state will use whatever means possible to avoid any change in boundaries.

AS to the note.
Well it was more the way he said it, rather than what was on it.

"Grow up." other side "Touche"

Man. That lecturer is so weird he cracks me up.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Is this bibliographic assignment meant to be 500 words or 750 words? The outline gives both in different places.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Unhappy I can't do China again. My Chinese assignment was awesome, now I have to choose a totally different topic for the major one?? GRRR... should have told me about this earlier!!

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
what971 said:
Unhappy I can't do China again. My Chinese assignment was awesome, now I have to choose a totally different topic for the major one?? GRRR... should have told me about this earlier!!
Do we? I don't remember being told that.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
Do we? I don't remember being told that.
Heard it from my tutor, having said that, I don't think she's the authority for the course, and could be totally wrong (I hope so).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)