Gun Control (1 Viewer)

Do you support a right to bear arms ?

• Total voters

4lettersdown

HSC
It would be kinda neat to own a gun and carry it on my person at all times (attached to my belt)

But I accept that I must be denied this indulgence for the greater good

/kicks dirt
just get a kickass cane or a cool knife. I saw a knife at the local opshop with a golden cobra head handle and had a long, detailed daydream about me defeating communist china by flashing the hilt out of my belt. I was so awesome....
More guns = less crime.
wut!! *looks at sig* get out amerifag!!!!

Last edited:

4lettersdown

HSC
I do love a good debate but i am not sure how much more i can add to this one without going around in circles.

Guns in the right hands stop crime all the time. I have no idea why guns were banned in 1996, if it was under some sort of misguided quest to lower crime, the experiment has failed. Crime rose drastically as soon as criminals were given victims guaranteed to be unarmed. In short they have nothing to fear.
stats or it didnt happen. ive never heard these assertions made before

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
stats or it didnt happen. ive never heard these assertions made before
Yes but you also havent finished school yet so you havent heard much of anything yet have you? Do you know how to google? anyway here is your stats in an easy to read form, i am sure there are better sources out there than this though.

and yes Shroedinger, i understand that port arthur was the event that sparked the gun ban, i was being a smartass. The ban was completely political, only crazies would think port arthur was planned by the government, but it was a very convenient event that helped push through the gun ban. Legislation based on an emotional event rather than hard facts, what a kneejerk government we have.

Colonel.Burton

HSC
i say without guns, insane people will resort to other weapons such as... their own penis. i'd rather die by gun (cause its more humane) then a penis

so

THUMBSUP TO GUNS ! :spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
No. We should maintain our strict policy of gun control, and the US ought to do the same - though it is unable to learn the same lesson from numerous mass killings.
They have a little thing called a constitutional amendment that is kinda hard to change. The long history also makes it nearly impossible to change too many laws.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
just get a kickass cane or a cool knife. I saw a knife at the local opshop with a golden cobra head handle and had a long, detailed daydream about me defeating communist china by flashing the hilt out of my belt. I was so awesome....

wut!! *looks at sig* get out amerifag!!!!
Everyone please neg this guy.

Barmble

HSC
They have a little thing called a constitutional amendment that is kinda hard to change. The long history also makes it nearly impossible to change too many laws.
The only people who would not want any changes made are the gun advocates from the south who seem so adamant on aiding and abetting criminals, letting any street drug dealer/gang member and people like Cho Seung Hui get whatever type of gun they want in the name of "self defense", and the flag wearing patriotic "BEST NATION IN THE WORLD" nutjobs. I mean where did they get their HSC from? ceral box?

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The only people who would not want any changes made are the gun advocates from the south who seem so adamant on aiding and abetting criminals, letting any street drug dealer/gang member and people like Cho Seung Hui get whatever type of gun they want in the name of "self defense", and the flag wearing patriotic "BEST NATION IN THE WORLD" nutjobs.
That is blatantly untrue and most of the southern states have lower violent crime rates than places like DC, LA and Detroit. The fact of the matter is most gun crimes are commited by criminals using stolen/illegal weapons.

Barmble

HSC
That is blatantly untrue and most of the southern states have lower violent crime rates than places like DC, LA and Detroit. The fact of the matter is most gun crimes are commited by criminals using stolen/illegal weapons.
I didn't say those places had high crime rates. Why can the gangstaz in DC and LA get guns so easily? Because there's so many guns everywhere, and why are there so many guns everywhere? Because of gun advocates, the amount of gun shows and gun shops, because it's in american culture.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
For the record I don't have a problem with the handgun ban, there is no need for them in sport shooting or hunting. Banning semi-automatic rifles and shotguns is annoying as hell though.

Barmble

HSC
Not really. I don't have any ATF stats right now but they shouldn't be too hard to find.
The gun used to kill President Kennedy was purchased through an ad in the Rifleman, the NRA magazine; the gun used to assassinate the Mexican presidential candidate last year was originally purchased in a California gunshop. Colin Ferguson purchased the semiautomatic he used to kill the Long Island Railroad Riders in a California gunshop too. Patrick Purdy, the killer of five Cambodian schoolchildren in a schoolyard, also bought his weapon legally in California, and Wayne Lo, who killed a professor and a student at his Berkshire, Massachusetts college, bought his semiautomatic at a sporting goods shop in the same part of the country.

The average street criminal / drug dealer / gangster whatever would not get their shit from out of the country.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Something like 86% of all gun crimes commited involved the use of handguns.

A few select cases doesn't mean anything, Kennedy was killed with an Italian bolt-action rifle. Also semi-automatic what for the others, pistol or rifle? Your examples are pretty shitty, a professor and his student? That could have easily have been commited with a bolt action, shotgun or even a knife.

Edit: And because the individual criminal doesn't import guns personally doesn't mean that cartels don't.
It is irrelevant anyway, criminals have guns one way or another and now innocent people don't. The types of violent crime that would be likely to go up with highever availability of guns are "crimes of passion." The overall number of these cases would be unlikely to go up though, as at the moment these are commited with knives or blunt objects instead. The situations where a rifle would be useful in a crime are extremely rare (e.g. assasination) as criminals almost always want something concealable eg a pistol or sawn-off shotgun and assasinations are just as likely to be commited by other means anyway.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
It's not the gun's fault.

If the intent to kill is there the tool is only to easy to find, why don't we ban steak knives & baseball bats while we're at it.

Australia's gun laws are pretty stupid.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

If the intent to kill is there the tool is only to easy to find, why don't we ban steak knives & baseball bats while we're at it.

Is it so wrong that I want a shotgun that holds more than two rounds at once?

Barmble

HSC

So if someone intends to kill someone else, it is impossible to stop the murder, because the intent is there. Let them have any weapon they want, they're going to do it anyway and there's 100% no way to stop them because the intent is there. It isn't the gun's fault, it is the humans fault, humans are stupid, violent, etc, so why the fuck would you want to just make it easier for them to murder other people?

You can stop one violent monkey murdering another violent monkey by taking his weapon away, but you can't stop a violent monkey from being violent.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Did you read the PDF from the Hardvard Law review? There is no correlation between gun ownership and crime. You can't stop a violent monkey from murdering another violent monkey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)