Gun Control (1 Viewer)

Do you support a right to bear arms ?

• Total voters
HSC
Guns are pretty cool. What is this thread even about anymore? I'v got a 22-250 casing in my pocket, its pretty sweet to use as a whistle. 90% of the tards in this thread dont even know what they are talking about. I think Australia at the moment has a pretty good balance in what we can and cant have.

Riet i dont really see a need for semi autos at all. Like maybe if you had a 22 semi shooting at a rabbit, but if you cant use the bolt action fast enough then thats your problem. Shotguns are interesting though, i never hunt with a shotgun and the only one iv used is 410s for shooting snakes so why would you need more than 2 shells?

Graney i know lots of people with illegal weapons :confused: sawnoffs, automatics, pistols. they arent even criminals (apart from the obvious illegal weapons)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Well if are shooting at more than 2 things you're fucked, and that's assuming you can take down both with 1 shot. Shotguns are the best they are just more fun. Ever been duck hunting?

HSC
never been duck hunting, so many more betterer animals to hunt. Hunting foxes from 300m is epic awesome and i like to pretend like i am in vietnam hunting the vc from my hide on the edge of the paddock and like they are running around unaware that they are in my trap and bang take that u dirty vc pricks, torture rambo will ya, yeah that will teach u u red bushy tailed cunts bang bang bang *screams while firing randomly into the air*

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
never been duck hunting, so many more betterer animals to hunt. Hunting foxes from 300m is epic awesome and i like to pretend like i am in vietnam hunting the vc from my hide on the edge of the paddock and like they are running around unaware that they are in my trap and bang take that u dirty vc pricks, torture rambo will ya, yeah that will teach u u red bushy tailed cunts bang bang bang *screams while firing randomly into the air*

:eek:

HSC
i like traditional looking rifles too much though. a sako 22-250 with a walnut stock and medium length heavy barrel and 12x scope would be the perfect fox rifle. we use that but with a 8x scope now and its awesome apart from the 8x scope just doesnt see clearly enough at long range in the dark

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
i like traditional looking rifles too much though. a sako 22-250 with a walnut stock and medium length heavy barrel and 12x scope would be the perfect fox rifle. we use that but with a 8x scope now and its awesome apart from the 8x scope just doesnt see clearly enough at long range in the dark
Cant see the Cross hair or is it just an ass to focus, cause i kow they have made Rifle scopes with fibre optics running into the cross hair to pick up as much light as it can to improve its stand out image.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
No magnification in general makes it harder to see in the dark. Also most gun stores don't cater for Rainbow Six operatives.

E

Empyrean444

It's not the gun's fault.

If the intent to kill is there the tool is only to easy to find, why don't we ban steak knives & baseball bats while we're at it.

Australia's gun laws are pretty stupid.
Specious reasoning. While the gun doesn't do anything by itself, as I said before it facilitates and allows for a far greater number of people to be killed at one place in a very small space of time (at least in the case of semi-autos or deadlier weapons). I agree that some weapon laws in Australia are silly (e.g. a single edged blade, I think, may be brought into the country personally, but not a double edged one) but these sorts of guns have such a great potential for destruction in the hands of a murderer/psycho that banning them from civilians is a necessity.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Specious reasoning. While the gun doesn't do anything by itself, as I said before it facilitates and allows for a far greater number of people to be killed at one place in a very small space of time (at least in the case of semi-autos or deadlier weapons). I agree that some weapon laws in Australia are silly (e.g. a single edged blade, I think, may be brought into the country personally, but not a double edged one) but these sorts of guns have such a great potential for destruction in the hands of a murderer/psycho that banning them from civilians is a necessity.
The number of people killed in extremely rare masacres is less than the number of people who defend themselves successfully.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The number of people killed in extremely rare masacres is less than the number of people who defend themselves successfully.
nice one.

I think i am done with this thread, most of the last few pages i have already addressed earlier.

Someone kept bringing up how they dont think their are many guns in Australia. Maybe its because they dont live in Sydney where guns are everywhere. NSW confiscates about 1000 illegal handguns every year, theres estimated to be about 20 000 handguns in Sydney alone and possibly another 70 000 other illegal guns.

In 1997 directly following the gun ban, approx 1million cheap chinese handguns were smuggled into the Australian black market.

10% of households have a gun. There are about 2million legal guns in Australia, but they are targeted by thieves and only about 1% of registered guns that are stolen are ever reported.

So yes ladies and gentlemen, the criminals do very much have the guns.

Now stop nitpicking my posts with useless questions that contribute nothing, you can find the same info that backs up my claims with a simple google search. Bring something useful to the table rather than an moronic " i don't believe the criminals have guns"

We have an unalienable and fundamental human right to self defence. Firearms play a big role in this self defence. Telling us that self defence is not a valid reason for owning a gun is like saying we do not have the right to defend ourselves. The police can do nothing to protect you in 99% of situations. All they can do is clean up the mess your head has left on the pavement and then possibly bring the criminals to justice. They cant defend you. It is your responsibility as a citizen of our country to protect yourself, and innocent others. There is only one correct answer to someone threatening your safety and that is a sudden, powerful and overwhelming show of force. This cannot be done effectively by most people without a gun.

The problem is most people see guns as evil because they hear in the news about people using a gun to commit a crime and MOST OF THE TIME when something is bad, something else cleans up the mess. Eg an arson running around with matches. I carry a small fire extinguisher in my car not just in case my own car is on fire, but also to help others that may be in trouble.

Normal, hard working law abiding citizens who want to bear arms are looked upon with suspicion and distrust when all they want to do is protect themselves and others around them. Why is this a crime? I would feel 10x safer knowing a teacher or someone else i trust was armed and ready to protect me, much in the same way that i feel safer when police are close by.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If criminals all have easy access to guns, why is there so little gun crime in Australia? Why aren't we powerless, unarmed civilians beholden to superpowered criminals everywhere?

Why do criminals apparently buy and trade so many guns, yet so rarely use them?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Why are the people who do commit crimes not using guns, if they're so easily available?

Given guns are so easy to get, and all the criminals have them, guns are seemingly underrepresented in the weapons used to commit crimes in Australia.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
"The Bureau also looked at incidents involving firearms that did not result in a death. Shooting incidents (i.e. Recorded incidents of shoot with intent) rose by 83 per cent between 1995 and 2001. Since 2001 they have fallen by 40 per cent. "

I bet you the rates are lower in Germany, Finland, Switzerland etc. than they are here, even though guns are just as (if not more) prevelant. Legal gun ownership does not increase crime by any marked amount, it's that simple.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
You should realize why this is flawed Riet.
What's flawed about it? You said gun crime isn't that common, it clearly still happens and it's virtually always with a handgun. Handguns are banned. Do you think people would be more likely to commit armed robbery if they had a reason to believe that the store attendant/bar owner etc. was armed?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I bet you the rates are lower in Germany, Finland, Switzerland etc. than they are here, even though guns are just as (if not more) prevelant. Legal gun ownership does not increase crime by any marked amount, it's that simple.
I don't know about Germany, but I bet Finland and Switzerland have more police per head of population than Australia.

What's flawed about it? You said gun crime isn't that common, it clearly still happens
I never said gun crimes were never committed. Those are individual incidents, not statistics. The media beats everything up. Those things happened, but individual incidents alone don't accurately tell us about wider trends. Corey Worthington hosting a party doesn't mean our generation is out of control.

and it's virtually always with a handgun. Handguns are banned.
Not if you join a pistol club.

Do you think people would be more likely to commit armed robbery if they had a reason to believe that the store attendant/bar owner etc. was armed?
I don't know if it would make a difference. Normal, rational risk assessment doesn't apply to armed robbery. No one would ever commit armed robbery if they were able to rationally assess the risk/reward relationship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)