Guys true story (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And undercover nerds who you wouldn't expect at all come to the fore.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Eh, I've held first in all my subjects since the prelim.
Of course, after the trials of all my year, I'm the one who's crashed the hardest.

Haven't been to school in almost a week and a half
<.<
That's because the calibre of your cohort is academically low. On top of that, however, it is different in Selective schools like James Ruse, North Sydney Boys where people start to push on as HSC starts.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
With my maths class the accelerants used to be really close to top. Like about 2 in the top 5 (I think our year kind of sucks...)

Once HSC started, we all went down. We're only average compared to the year 12's :S At first I blamed the substitute teacher we had for term 4, but when our ranks didn't go back up even after my maths teacher came back.

I concluded that it wasn't her, it was us. Some of the year 12's have really pushed themselves (or we've gotten lazy because we know we can repeat). Then we realised the better maths teachers are teaching 2U and General this year D: I don't know if that's the reason, but I reckon some of us improved in the trials xD

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
omniscience said:
That's because the calibre of your cohort is academically low. On top of that, however, it is different in Selective schools like James Ruse, North Sydney Boys where people start to push on as HSC starts.
In most of my subjects, I work my ass off to stay first. I have a small cohort, but thats because all of the lower standard students have left. Theres mere marks between us all ( that is to say, there is no substantial gaps between first and last). We're a tight cohort with alot of competition between one another. Quite a few of us were encouraged to apply for selective Highschools, but did not for various reasons. I'm one of them.

As Humglish said, don't think just because you're selective that non selective schools don't have tight, hard working cohorts. Its been a fucking effort to be first, and I deserve the rest Ive given myself.

And Humglish, thank you, its nice to be praised. ^^

HSC
And don't think that because a school is selective the students are hard working. :eek:

omniscience

HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
In most of my subjects, I work my ass off to stay first. I have a small cohort, but thats because all of the lower standard students have left. Theres mere marks between us all ( that is to say, there is no substantial gaps between first and last). We're a tight cohort with alot of competition between one another. Quite a few of us were encouraged to apply for selective Highschools, but did not for various reasons. I'm one of them.

As Humglish said, don't think just because you're selective that non selective schools don't have tight, hard working cohorts. Its been a fucking effort to be first, and I deserve the rest Ive given myself.

And Humglish, thank you, its nice to be praised. ^^
Given that your school is ranked 400 or 500+, the calibre of your school cannot be considered "high". I was only suggesting Selective High Schools as an example to reference my point.

Velocity: Not at all. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that. Not all students in Selective High Schools are working to their bones for HSC. But the likelihood of those kids working harder than others in the state is higher and expected. In addition, they are also academically talented in the first place given that they passed exams (which comprises of General Knowledge, Mathematics and English) to get entry.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Annnnnnyway, just because Sonya does not attend a selective high school does not mean that her own academic abilities aren't "high".

Ugh, I hate double-negatives, so I'll just spit it out: Sonya is highly intelligent, and your comments about her school being ranked lowly seemed to suggest that she was duxing her school purely because her competition was of a low standard.

HSC
omniscience said:
Velocity: Not at all. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that. Not all students in Selective High Schools are working to their bones for HSC. But the likelihood of those kids working harder than others in the state is higher and expected. In addition, they are also academically talented in the first place given that they passed exams (which comprises of General Knowledge, Mathematics and English) to get entry.
I don't know, I think there's a possibility that students in selective schools are lazier. The reason for this is that all through primary school we're used to coming top without any effort at all, so we have a poor work ethic. I see where you're coming from though.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Annnnnnyway, just because Sonya does not attend a selective high school does not mean that her own academic abilities aren't "high".

Ugh, I hate double-negatives, so I'll just spit it out: Sonya is highly intelligent, and your comments about her school being ranked lowly seemed to suggest that she was duxing her school purely because her competition was of a low standard.
Well, if you re-read my post, I was neither directly nor indirectly suggesting that her academic astuteness is low in comparison to others. I just recommended her to speak out of her own context and acknowledge the presence of countless other schools where the academic potential and capability possessed by the students are greater as the ranks of the schools suggest.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
And don't think that because a school is selective the students are hard working. :eek:
Hahaha - so true. :p

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Oh boys, don't fight over me!
/blush.

I know what omniscience is saying, and as a generality I tend to agree.

But I work my ass off and I'm damned smart.

So, all is win, yes?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
hey leave sonya alone just cause she goes to a non-selective (by way your high school from the times i gone there for debating etc. is actually really nice) does mean that competition exists sometimes it is worse cause you know that there are Sydney kids who go to selective schools and get 100 UAI (its a hard thing to explain what i mean) But go Sonya. UHS is good

EDIT
i hope i remember right from other threads.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
marcquelle said:
hey leave sonya alone just cause she goes to a non-selective (by way your high school from the times i gone there for debating etc. is actually really nice) does mean that competition exists sometimes it is worse cause you know that there are Sydney kids who go to selective schools and get 100 UAI (its a hard thing to explain what i mean) But go Sonya. UHS is good

EDIT
You obviously haven't read the thread to the full extent.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anyways, steering the thread back on topic:
Guess my ranks have dropped already - for Maths, I went from 2nd at the half yearly to about 12th at the Trial. That being said, there was only like 2 marks (test was outta 120) between 3rd and 12th, but still. :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Anyways, steering the thread back on topic:
Guess my ranks have dropped already - for Maths, I went from 2nd at the half yearly to about 12th at the Trial. That being said, there was only like 2 marks (test was outta 120) between 3rd and 12th, but still. :(
What was your mark?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
marcquelle said:

EDIT
Almost. I started 7-8 at UHS and am now at Coffs Harbour High.

They're not picking on me love, if anything I'm bitchfitting over generalities I tend to agree with but find myself the exception too.

ANYWAYS.

/end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)