• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Half Yearly Depression (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
So i will say this upfront, I did not try as much as I could have for my half-yearlies.
I wish I did, and I totally regret it, but I can't do anything about that.

I already know that I have done miserable. I know it, I have never walked out of an exam and felt so under-confident in myself.
I know, EVERYTHING counts to the HSC, but how much would half yearlies count?

If I get a rank of 20/30 for a subject, is there still a chance I could change it, work harder and better to around top ten?
I know I will try harder, and I honestly am not asking for sympathy or anything, i'm just at a moment of desperation.

Will the extremely poor ranks (take my word for it) I have, really really affect my ATAR aim of 98?

Please help me here :(

avro

HSC
Yeah you can. Particularly if the exam wasn't weighted particularly high and you go to a good ranked school. I'm sure you didn't even do as poorly as you expect :)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Sure, you probably could.

Why do you need 98 atar though?

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
everyone stuffs up once or twice. don't worry too much about it.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Sure, you probably could.

Why do you need 98 atar though?
Thankyou :)
i need an atar of 98 to get into medicine :(
hopefully I will get it -.-

Ughhh I just wish I could go back and do better in my half-yearlys!!!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can definitely improve your ranks-even better chance if the tests were not weighted much and you have a good cohort that will perform well in externals. Or alternatively, a weak cohort hat you can get to the top more easily.

However a 98 ATAR is really ambitious-at most 200-300 rank schools, that is what the dux gets or a little less. In top 200 schools, you might have a few depending on cohort size, unless you are at a selective where many people get over 98.

ATAR is not the end all and be all-there's a whole other world after Year 12, just trust me on that *hugs*

Examine

same
HSC
Is your school rank so good that you could only achieve 20/30 in rank, or have you just received poor marks?

delian

HSC
N/A
Yes you can definitely improve.
I did- screwed up my first eco exam getting below average, but then got tied 2nd for the next assessment.

swifty13

HSC
Yes you can definitely improve.
I did- screwed up my first eco exam getting below average, but then got tied 2nd for the next assessment.
May I ask what percentage these assessments weighed?

HSC
My half yearlies were worth 30%, I never knew they varied in value that much. Aren't all schools half yearlies around that 30%ish mark.
And is that a lot?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
YOU MUST DO IT! Take every opportunity you can! Make sure you prepare well for the next one! Still a long way to go!

Remember: "It's not how you start the race, it's how you finish it!"

Finish strong young chicken!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I did fairly bad for my first HSC task last term. Felt like shit for a week or two and decided that I wasn't going to let it happen again and worked my ass off for the main exam period.

It's never too late to turn it around.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
My half yearlies were worth 30%, I never knew they varied in value that much. Aren't all schools half yearlies around that 30%ish mark.
And is that a lot?
Mine varied from 20% to 30% but all schools are different.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
thankyou everyone!
my exams were all 20% in weighting. my school rank is currently I think, 110?
would I still be able to achieve a 98 ATAR? I just really want to get into medicine :(

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course you can still achieve 98 and your desired goals, your half yearlies is still very early in the year and don't make it discourage you. Stay motivated, persistent and continue the hard work.

I was a person a who got 40's and 60's for their half yearly examination and I still managed to get in my 90's for the ATAR. One of my subjects I also ended up getting 97.

delian

HSC
N/A
G
Of course you can still achieve 98 and your desired goals, your half yearlies is still very early in the year and don't make it discourage you. Stay motivated, persistent and continue the hard work.

I was a person a who got 40's and 60's for their half yearly examination and I still managed to get in my 90's for the ATAR. One of my subjects I also ended up getting 97.
Definitely possible

SanjoyM

HSC
You could definitely improve your ranks and attain a good ATAR/HSC Marks:)

However, this all depends on the weighting of the half-yearlies. If it is 10%, then it is not a big issue, but if it is 30% and more (unlikely), then you really have to work HARD in order to increase your rank!!

Here's a quote that ALWAYS helps me when I'm feeling down about results/marks : "It's not how many times you get knocked out, its how many times you get up and keeping going (succeed) " :)

All the BEST!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)