• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Half-Yearly Thoughts (2 Viewers)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
I got my award the other day with Year 12 students. They were wondering why Year 11 kid was with them receiving awards. I got ones for both Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 (for being placed top 5% = top 2). I thought I deserved them. If I think back now, I really don't deserve them as I am not as capable as the top Year 12 students.
Hmm yeah, you kind of regret it and feel like giving it to the people who tried hard throughout the year consistently but wasn't still able to get one...Ah well.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Hmm yeah, you kind of regret it and feel like giving it to the people who tried hard throughout the year consistently but wasn't still able to get one...Ah well.
After receiving that, I guess I became quite arrogant. After that award ceremony, I started getting all the praise from fellow students and teachers. I suddently thought that I was the top student. This arrogance obviously reflected on my last exam result where I was placed 4th and hence my rank moved down to the equal third position.

I learnt my lesson and all I wish to do from now on is to move on. I will work harder this time and try to be more modest. It was very stupid of me to lose sight of the modestry that I used to have. I guess it was a very bad idea for the school to give Year 12 awards to Year 11 kid. :mad1:

My close mate who got Year 12 award with me (and he was the only other Year 11 kid who got that) also did quite badly in comparison to others. I guess he was in the exactly same situation as I was.

TurkStyle

HSC
i understood why my schoool is like 400 something ranked
the tests were useless, nothing to do with anything

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
TurkStyle said:
i understood why my schoool is like 400 something ranked
the tests were useless, nothing to do with anything
393 and we have the 4 unit Cambridge author. Proves how shit our school is.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, updated results:
Physics - 1st/120
Chemistry - 11th/114
Maths - 2nd/210
Legal - 4th/35
English Ext - Top 15/210 (not sure yet)
English Adv - Top 30/210 (not sure yet)

Yeah...results. =\

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aerath said:
Hmmm, updated results:
Physics - 1st/120
Chemistry - 11th/114
Maths - 2nd/210
Legal - 4th/35

Yeah...results. =\
That's a guaranteed UAI of 99+ with rankings like that in Sydney Boys.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
That's a guaranteed UAI of 99+ with rankings like that in Sydney Boys.
Too early to assume that, I reckon. Rankings in SBHS would fluctuate more than you think. I know it from my friends at Selective High School who came first in one subject in first term and moved down like 50 ranks in the next assessment.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Especially in James Ruse. You lose 1 mark and your ranking goes down by like 10 or possibly more.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Especially in James Ruse. You lose 1 mark and your ranking goes down by like 10 or possibly more.
Yeah, that's true. Same at our school, too. Chemistry was so bunched up at the top, that getting 2 more marks would've gotten me 3rd, and 3 more would've gotten me 1st. But I'm not complaining - I'm very happy with Chemistry, considering how badly I thought I had screwed up.

The Kaiser

HSC
Aerath said:
Hmmm, updated results:
Physics - 1st/120
Chemistry - 11th/114
Maths - 2nd/210
Legal - 4th/35

Yeah...results. =\
You'll probably get the DUX Award if you keep this up.

Last edited:

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
gosh som of u ppl are from GREAT skools...how do i check the ranking of schools?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The Kaiser said:
You'll probably get the DUX Award if you keep this up.
Er yeah. Need to assassinate Thomas Wilson first though.
He's 1st in Advanced English, Latin, Greek, Music - 7th in Maths, but at least this is like the first time (ever) I've beaten him in any sort of English (Extension). :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aplus said:
:eek: That's crazy! I'm thankful then that I came first in my 3U class by 4 marks then.

mattloo

HSC
is this last years mid year? if not how did u get your results back lol? im assuming its from 2007 but can you tell me how long does it take to get mid year results back?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
mattloo said:
is this last years mid year? if not how did u get your results back lol? im assuming its from 2007 but can you tell me how long does it take to get mid year results back?
I'm really not following. It takes us about 2 weeks to get our exams back for everything except English. Usually about a month for English, as it's double marked.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
after reading all of this i wish i could transfer to a selective school... the competition seems so fun... LOL :(
Depends on how you react to competition. :mad1:

Thankfully, I try to improve when I drop. :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
I'm really not following. It takes us about 2 weeks to get our exams back for everything except English. Usually about a month for English, as it's double marked.
It takes me 1 week to get my exams back and the English faculty is the fastest. But mine don't get double marked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)