Hamlet Quote (1 Viewer)

stardusk

HSC
The hyperbole of "All saws of books, all forms, that youth and observation copied these, thy commandment all alone shall live" shows his sense of commitment to his duty of revenge. However it is ironic as the events of the play unfold because he does not do what he said he would.

chels777

HSC
"Must, like a whore, unpack my heart with words" represents that he at this point cannot act

"I'll have grounds
More relative than this: the play 's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king." --> represents he always needs further proof until his mind thinks he can act but in such a hyperbolic world this information cannot satisfy hamlets lust for proof.

Boredinthisward

HSC
I need a Hamlet quote that proves that he is a man of words and not action..if that makes sense?
How about "Now might I do it pat, now a is a-praying...And so goes to heaven"
That's Hamlet getting the chance to kill Claudius but not because Claudius might go to heaven, something Hamlet doesn't want. Argue he's just making up excuses!

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
Could you also use...
"And I with wings as swift as meditation,
or the thoughts of love may sweep to my revenge?"
It is a dramatic irony that Hamlet as soon as he finds out about his father's true death vows to quickly avenge him, but does not right till the end? :)

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
Oh and also...
"Like a John-a-dream, unpregnant of my cause"
Hamlet acknowledges he is a day dreamer, and his hamartia (tragic flaw) of inaction?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You can pretty much use any quote where Hamlet philosophises "Oh that I could be bounded in a nutshell....." etc. to demonstrate he is more of a thinking man rather than a man of action, however I think it is more accurate to say he turns into a man of action at the end of the play when he says "the readiness is all"

umz93

HSC
"What’s Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba,
That he should weep for her? What would he do,
Had he the motive and the cue for passion" Here it shows that Hamlet is distressed over the fact that he cannot mourn enough for the death of his father, however this is in direct contrast with Old Hamlet's order to Hamlet which was stop mourning to act upon Claudius. This point is reinforced by the fact that Hamlet gets the Players to do a play in order for get Claudius to reveal the truth. The play being a metaphor for the real world shows that Hamlet can only give ideas/think but not act.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
"What’s Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba,
That he should weep for her? What would he do,
Had he the motive and the cue for passion" Here it shows that Hamlet is distressed over the fact that he cannot mourn enough for the death of his father, however this is in direct contrast with Old Hamlet's order to Hamlet which was stop mourning to act upon Claudius. This point is reinforced by the fact that Hamlet gets the Players to do a play in order for get Claudius to reveal the truth. The play being a metaphor for the real world shows that Hamlet can only give ideas/think but not act.
Can you please provide a quote that demonstrates this? Its an interesting point, and I may use it, but I need to back it up with a quote.

umz93

HSC
Hamlet " Alas, poor ghost"

Old Hamlet GHOST
"Pity me not, but lend thy serious hearing
To what I shall unfold."

Old Hamlet Ghost "So art thou to revenge when thou shalt hear."

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Hamlet " Alas, poor ghost"

Old Hamlet GHOST
"Pity me not, but lend thy serious hearing
To what I shall unfold."

Old Hamlet Ghost "So art thou to revenge when thou shalt hear."
i see, thx!

Glorious

HSC
From the top of my head:

"My thoughts be bloody or be nothing worth" [4.4]
"The play's the thing wherein i'll catch the conscience of the king" [2.2]
"But break my heart for I must hold my tongue" [1.2]
"Perchance hereafter shall think meet to put an antic-disposition on" [1.5]
"Wings swift as mediation and thoughts of love may sweep to my revenge" - ironic. [1.5]

BobMac

HSC
What about the rhetorical question "Who would bear the whips and scorns of life?".
This doesn't directly relate to what you want but it does have more then that effect as it enforces his contemplative character and his inability to act.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)