Hamlet? (1 Viewer)

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
which readings of the play are the safest to do.... i heard that a feminist reading of Hamlet was hard to do for last years HSC Q...:hippie:

Together

HSC
political i think... how corruption of the nation is reflected upon the leaders? iunno...

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
which readings of the play are the safest to do.... i heard that a feminist reading of Hamlet was hard to do for last years HSC Q...:hippie:
It's not about particular 'readings', it's about your personal interpretation on issues/themes within the text.
Read the rubric here for a more in depth idea of what you have to do.

HSC Advanced English Rubric said:
MODULE B: Critical Study of Texts
This module requires students to engage with and develop an informed personal understanding of their prescribed text. Through critical analysis and evaluation of its language, content and construction, students will develop an appreciation of the textual integrity of their prescribed text. They refine their own understanding and interpretations of the prescribed text and critically consider these in the light of the perspectives of others. Students explore how context influences their own and others’ responses to the text and how the text has been received and valued. (Reread English Stage 6 Syllabus, p 52.)
This might also be helpful:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-adv-support-module-b.pdf

Last edited:

hello-there

HSC
How do you incorporate other perspectives in your essay?
Do you devote a paragraph to it or just use it to reinforce/(can it go against?) your ideas?
Would you do a brief analysis with techniques/quotes/ideas presented or just state their idea e.g. The author (..........) has presented the idea of the (.................) in his article "......" which reinforces my concept.
How many differing POV's do you need?

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Originally Posted by HSC Advanced English Rubric
MODULE B: Critical Study of Texts
This module requires students to engage with and develop an informed personal understanding of their prescribed text. Through critical analysis and evaluation of its language, content and construction, students will develop an appreciation of the textual integrity of their prescribed text. They refine their own understanding and interpretations of the prescribed text and critically consider these in the light of the perspectives of others. Students explore how context influences their own and others’ responses to the text and how the text has been received and valued. (Reread English Stage 6 Syllabus, p 52.)
is this not the readings? i know you hae to add your own personal touch to it, but u need to ' consider ...the perspective of others'

brendroid

HSC
I've devote a paragraph to a particular idea.

So 'psycho-analysis in Hamlet' with a couple of examples, or 'feminism in Hamlet' with a couple of examples.

hello-there

HSC
I've devote a paragraph to a particular idea.

So 'psycho-analysis in Hamlet' with a couple of examples, or 'feminism in Hamlet' with a couple of examples.
ohok ty

If feminists views are the POV's of females then what is a pscho analytistical view?
Also would you describe how the idea is portrayed in that alternative POV like techniques etc.?

Last edited:

irvine

HSC
is this not the readings? i know you hae to add your own personal touch to it, but u need to ' consider ...the perspective of others'
No, not really. You're analysing the text from your OWN perspective to come to your OWN personal interpretation. THEN you consider what critics have said about it and justify why their opinion is the same/different to yours.

If you just write paragraphs on feminism, psychoanalysis ect, you will get marked down for recycling content from the old syllabus.

brendroid

HSC
...you have not come across psycho-analytical view?

Feminists point of view is looking at how the text could be interpreted along gender lines - patriarchy, suppression of women, that kind of stuff.

Psycho-analytical is looking at it very Freudian. Oedipus complex, what makes Hamlet tick, Ego/Id/Superego kind of stuff.

irvine

HSC
No, I know they're both very valid readings of Hamlet and I'm not saying they aren't.
However, it's about following the rubric and getting marks.

brendroid

HSC
Sorry, wasn't aiming that at you. At the person who thought feminist POV was a female's perspective and didn't know what psycho-analysis was.

Stupid computer won't let me quote.

Lloydo

HSC
How much emphasis should be put on specific scenes?
or is it just specific quotes to make your point?

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Irvine is right in saying that the rubric has shifted its focus away from specific readings. It's more about forming your own views and then comparing or contrasting these with the views of critics. Don't go too overboard with stating the opinions of others though, the markers are looking for YOUR views and not for a regurgitation of what others have said.

Jessiefaye92

HSC
We've only just started Hamlet, really, but I already love it :) We saw a production last year in Bondi while we were doing Othello with a woman playing Hamlet, and it was pretty great. Also, Kenneth Brannagh's version of Hamlet is pretty awesome too (Then again I am a massive Brannagh fangirl.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)