Harry Potter 7: Two Films (1 Viewer)

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Warner Bros. officially announced
this morning that the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movie will be released in two parts and will be directed by David Yates.
In making the announcement, Warner Bros. Pictures president Jeff Robinov stated:
It has been an honor for our studio to be entrusted with bringing J.K. Rowling’s extraordinary book series to the screen, and we have always felt a great responsibility to be true to her vision. In concluding the film franchise, we recognized that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is packed with vital plot points that complete the story arcs of all of its beloved characters. That said, we feel that the best way to do the book, and its many fans, justice is to expand the screen adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and release the film in two parts. We could not imagine the final chapter of the film franchise being in better hands than those of David Yates.

Part one of the movie will open in November 2010, with part two to be released in quick succession during the summer of 2011.

http://www.hpana.com/news.20390.html
More:
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080313005332&newsLang=en

What do you think?

michael1990

HSC
I love HARRY POTTER.

So it should be 2 movies there is so much that you can put into the movie from the book to make it a 12 hour movie. At least this time it will be fantastic graphics, more fighting scenes and longer time.

But to post another interesting idea.

When it comes to movies.

Would they play both movies, 1 after the other with intermission.

OR
Play one and you pay for the other.

Would they come out at the same time?
Or be staggered, if they did that it would just suck and ruin it all.​

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
michael1990 said:
Would they come out at the same time?
Part one of the movie will open in November 2010, with part two to be released in quick succession during the summer of 2011.
I think that it would be good for the fans so it gets everything in but to people who just watch the movie they might think its a bit over the top

sbeydoun91

In za box, which is
HSC
N/A
your.knee said:
What do you think?
Personally, the idea of a two-part film for Deathly Hallows seems interesting and I'm supportive of it. HOWEVER, David Yates is not my favourite of the HP directors and I think he did a shocking job with Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. I was expecting much more and it left me feeling very deflated. Anyway, HP is always "good" so I can't wait for the next film - HBP. :D

Dave2007

HSC
Where do you think it will be split? I was reading afew commentaries and I see only two options...

The first is to end it on a moment of suspense - when they accidentally say "Voldermort", and the people apparate around them and say "GTFO". This has the advantage that most films would want, i.e. getting people to wait on the edge of their seat for the sequel... but because everybody has already read the books, will this really matter? The other alternative is to end with the death of dobby. I think the death of dobby works a lot better. Here is my reason why:

When the trio wake up at dawn on the last day at shell cottage, right through the gringotts robbery, the dragon, voldy killing grindelwald, the almost-capture at hogsmeade, meeting dumbledores brother and all the kids in the room of requirement and finding out whats been happening, getting the tiara, sacking snape, the battle of hogwarts, the ron/hermione kiss, the princes tale, harry's death, kings cross and the final duel at dawn..... that all happens within 24 hours and would make a fairly good, self-contained film thats easy to think of a title for. Harry can reflect on the past film in a sort of montage at dobbys grave at the start of film 2 to fill in new viewers, and then get straight into the "final day", which is certainly enough to fill an exciting movie.

And it would actually give film 1 some of the emotional payoff that it would lack if it ended as being the whole 9 month camping trip and ending in suspense. Personally I got really frustrated with the whole isolated from the world camping trip... I think bringing it back to the other characters, with the death of pettigrew and dobby at malfoy manor, finally joining in the "real fight" and giving harry the resolve to fight on etc... would be a good place to make the split.

Peter Jackson should direct battle of hogwarts, and quentin tarantino for hedwigs death scene.

michael1990

HSC
your.knee said:
I think that it would be good for the fans so it gets everything in but to people who just watch the movie they might think its a bit over the top
Nah it wouldnt be over the top, because even 'non-fans' would know that its a very long book, so to get the full details conveyed into the movie, the movie needs to be long? Not to mention that all the other movies are 2hours+

basket.case

HSC
your.knee said:
Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the books (and I'll be the first to defend it), but as for the films.. well, they're like a "nice accompaniment" to the story... I'll watch them, but certainly not for a few feeks (cbf 10yos "omg daniel radcliffe is SOOO sexy in this one!!"), and I'll more often than not have more complaints than compliments about how aspects of the book were handled..

But hey, I think especially after the accumulation of HP mania, resulting in this worldwide hype over the 7th book...
......I'm talking news reports about security measures (for a BOOK), online leaks (who has ever been so eager to dl a book before its release date?), people being *sued* for revealing plot points, JKR now richer than the queen (correct me if I'm wrong on any of this please!)... all this... thanks to stories about teen sorcerers, no less. Now they're breaking all sorts of records, talking about a theme park, so on so forth...
...y'know, I think we're well past the point of saying that Harry Potter might "go a bit over the top"

Personally, I'm welcoming this idea fully. With any luck, the last movie might finally come even half as close, IMO, to the magic of the book.

jcurry

HSC
basket.case said:
Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the books (and I'll be the first to defend it), but as for the films.. well, they're like a "nice accompaniment" to the story... I'll watch them, but certainly not for a few feeks (cbf 10yos "omg daniel radcliffe is SOOO sexy in this one!!"), and I'll more often than not have more complaints than compliments about how aspects of the book were handled..

Personally, I'm welcoming this idea fully. With any luck, the last movie might finally come even half as close, IMO, to the magic of the book.
I agree with you the films are nowhere near as good as the books
I find it hard to sit through the films cause they're so shit in comparison and a huge letdown compared to the books

mollycoddle

HSC
Dave2007 said:
Peter Jackson should direct battle of hogwarts, and quentin tarantino for hedwigs death scene.
I AGREE! They need some real directors to step in! None of the directors so far have done the books justice.
Also, as I read the 7th book I couldn't help but wonder how they will portray it in film. It's definately the scariest and most violent out of all the books so far (Dobby being stabbed, Hedwig dying, Wormtail strangling himself, etc). They need to work on following the book and its vision instead of appealing to a young audience like they have with all the others.

agua.fuego

HSC
We'll get to see all of every detail now (and am glaring at the director and other people involved so they do)... it's not like in the other books where there was some stuff that you could kind of skim over (which I hated. Is it too hard to make SOME details matter? Like that Harry's eyes are actually GREEN in the book. Not BLUE). So that's a plus.
On the other hand... what's up with the release dates, then? I've got no idea of how long they'll be... but intermission as well? Or is that too difficult?

HSC
I'd like to see the whole series redone in the future. Like how there's two versions of Bladerunner and like 3 different Phantom of the Opera movies. I just want to see a totally new Harry Potter movie series. Sick of these half-arsed versions.

michael1990

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
I'd like to see the whole series redone in the future. Like how there's two versions of Bladerunner and like 3 different Phantom of the Opera movies. I just want to see a totally new Harry Potter movie series. Sick of these half-arsed versions.
NO!

What about the 4 and 5th ones. They were awesome!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I'm thinking it's just a ploy to get more money since the series is nearly finished.

michael1990

HSC
tommykins said:
I'm thinking it's just a ploy to get more money since the series is nearly finished.

NO WAY!

J.K.Rowling doesn't need anymore money!

Wikipedia said:
The 2008 Sunday Times Rich List estimated Rowling's fortune at £560 million ($1.1 billion), ranking her as the 6th richest woman in Britain.[

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Not JK, but directors/production etc.

I'm not against it or anything if that's what you're thinking, I'd still watch it (or most likely download it:p)

michael1990

HSC
tommykins said:
Not JK, but directors/production etc.

I'm not against it or anything if that's what you're thinking, I'd still watch it (or most likely download it:p)
I not sure how much the producers and such a worth but i would say they would be worth a mega fortune. The 'real' Harry Potter fans will go to the movies and watch the films. Then they would probably download it LOL.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
LOTR could be made into 1 movie per book. Why cant Harry Potter.

Capitalism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)