• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No security was going to prevent that leak, not without suffering logistically.

Yes the book did feel incomplete, but I suspect that was so that the publisher could make more money.

Harry plays out the hero-struggle, just like in the traditional vein. The whole series has been based off these archetypes the whole way through, the dumb but good meaning best friend, the talented outcast, even Voldemort was your typical cookie cutter bad guy who wanted immortality and somehow managed to become the king of evil, straight after graduation! (lets see you hsc fuckers try that). The whole thing was rather predictable and if you wanted to analyse on that level, then of course its going to leave you wanting, but I enjoyed the book for what it was, a children's fantasy novel.

So what if his father was an arrogant dickhead as a kid? If you bullied someone in high school, does that mean we can judge what you do as an adult by your actions 10 or more years prior? (Again the flawed god-figure/aura worship and the downfall and inner turmoil of the now 'flawed' master figure same as Dumbledore was played out).

Yeah etc.

jiggymcfizzle

pwner of a lonely heart
HSC
Lachlan18 u read my mind. And then enhanced it in word form. worst death was pettigrews, rat guy. now u see him, now hes dead. Plus I have a general loathing for harry.
How about that last movie? Luna carries massive slabs of meat around eh? I've got a massive slab of meat for her...

harry shouldn't have become an aura, he should've been ultimate snitch catching machine. and more details regarding the process of making the children. Deathly hallows: adults only. Harry bonks luna, cho, and ginny. At the same time! Booyah! Then there's Little harrys everywhere you look. JKR can use her creative touch there,
and use her profound imagination in saying that he's paying Magical Child Support, or hes a Dispensor of Income to Children of Knowledge (DICK). We get it! It's magic! Hey, why's Harry's always surprised at magic? like he hasn't lived surrounded by it for 7 years, instead only learning about it by reading a couple of books by some Rowling chick. Too busy telling people his parents are dead i guess.

and you can't tell the details of a story in an interview if its not in the book. that's cheating. you're not a real author jkr. how about u go back in time and stop yourself from writing bad plot and characterisation and waffle, and stop yourself from trying to make up for it in interviews.

I came to like neville more than anyone else. he should've died fighting bellatrix, but saving someones life in the process. Maybe saving luna. luna and neville shouldve bonked. Bonked Hard! "You think think that snake I killed was long, try this one on for size *whips it out*" Better yet they should've all ended up working for that weasley wizard weazes or wotever it was, in a tribute to fred.

It was probably asked before but WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT CRYING DEAD CREATURE BABY THING IN THE DREAM STATION?! Oh we can't help it can we dumbledore. Probably since you raped it like you raped your smoking hot sister.

I'd say mcgonnagal was taken from my mind and replicated for the hp movies. And also harry potter was taken from my arse and replicated for the movies. uncanny that.

Last of all, I believe they made luna too attractive in those movies. it was distracting and didn't follow from the book, and how can she be a loner if shes got some hot factor? I've got a crumple-headed snorkack horn for her...

Last edited:

jiggymcfizzle

pwner of a lonely heart
HSC
Serius said:
Florean Fortescue was kidnapped by Voldemort because hey, the Dark lord likes ice cream too.
AHAHAHA! (late but whatever). we all need our ice cream. Just like Luna. I've got some cream for her...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Auror? Or am I missing a new branch of wizardry.

Luna is too darn hawt.

jiggymcfizzle

pwner of a lonely heart
HSC
Aren't those the professional kick-arse wizards? Like Moody and Tonks. What Harry wanted to become, when he could've just mooched off the voldemort victory for the rest of his life. "Yeah I killed Voldemort. Want me to kill you too? Then hurry up and get me that damn sandwich!"

PS AsyLum you say your doing a B Media in Mulitmedia? Dunno about the last bit but hows the B Media been? What should I be interested in if i wanna do that? And do you know how much competition there is for related jobs?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jiggymcfizzle said:
Aren't those the professional kick-arse wizards? Like Moody and Tonks. What Harry wanted to become, when he could've just mooched off the voldemort victory for the rest of his life. "Yeah I killed Voldemort. Want me to kill you too? Then hurry up and get me that damn sandwich!"
Yeah, so whats an Aura?

edit:
MQ has different majors, creative writing, screen production, multimedia. (may even have cultural studies, music, radio as minors/majors but not sure).

The B Media has been interesting, its definitely not a vocational/skills based thing, it'll give you about 50/50, so don't expect to be some sort of whizbang Flash maker or Filmographer, but the facilities and resources are there if you wish to do that extra curricularly.

You can do anything from working in traditional models of media, newspaper, tv, radio, film, to the new media, websites, weblogs, design. The competition is pretty fierce out of uni, and thats where your focus should be, most degrees are just 'qualifications' just knowledge that you know some theory/practice, most places will actually run you through a full training if its a junior position, OR expect you to have 1-2 years experience.

And this is where the fun part begins. Basically if you want to get anywhere, your degree isn't going to mean shit, nor will your skills (except for the ultra rare situations), most places want experience, industry experience is gold.

So use whatever time you have to find an internship, or work experience, or something. Thats what you'll be looking for.

Currently I'm doing an internship with Yahoo!7's internet TV division, and I do a mixture of managing content through videos, images, summaries, to doing the interviews, liaisoning with the various branches, formulating ways of increasing traffic and extending time spent etc. So as you can see its a very mixed job.

(Hope that helped).

Last edited:

jiggymcfizzle

pwner of a lonely heart
HSC
Wow cheers. That told me more than 5 uni websites, the uac guide and this pamphlet I got. I duno if that's what I want to get into, but it's good to know now.

And I guess Aura or Auror was just a typo. Hell I can't remember how to spell it and I just saw the word

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Lachlan18 said:
- "Where's Hedwig?"
- "I don't know, can I have lunch?"
:rofl:
I concur, she shouldn't have killed off half the characters like she didn't have anything better to write.
JKR is a sadistic witch.

miss-smexy

HSC
Lachlan18 said:
The book pissed me off. I've only given my opinions to hardcore fans who were offended that I was criticising the book so don't fucking scream to me if you don't like what I say. Just accept it.

Anyway, I was pissed off with the book.

1. Harry Potter was a complete and utter dickhead. He was unlikable, he's got a pretty horrible and boring personality and he's always angry. If Ron and Hermione didn't intervene, he would've completely disrespected the DA. Plus, he was kind of a dickhead to Lupin as well. At one stage I was thinking "Oh hurry up Voldermort, come on and kill him!"

2. The. Epilogue. Was. Bloody. Awful. It was a complete and utter anti-climax. It was abysmal. It was just fan fiction! And why did Harry, that stupid prick, name all his children, yet Ginny didn't name any? He names them after his bully of a dickhead of a father; after his mother who digs arrogant bastards, and then, perhaps the most corniest name in the lot, Albus Severus. *shiver* Ginny didn't even name any of her children Fred! Perhaps she was a gold digger? Horrible ending. I was so excited to read the book and I was prepared to feel sad that it was the end but that epilogue turned me off the books in every possible way. I won't touch a Harry Potter book for a long bloody time knowing that the epilogue was like that.

Apart from its corniness, I was annoyed that nothing was mentioned about what the careers became, what people got up to, etc. I don't care if it's too detailed. I hate the "uze ur imaginashion" lines as well. It's an epilogue. End it like one! I was pissed off that I had to find out what Hermione and Harry and Ron and Ginny, etc, went on to become through INTERVIEWS of J.K. It felt so inconclusive. It didn't really end for me.. you get a bunch of corny names (Malfoy naming his son Scorpius?), Ron reminded me of Homer Simpson, and it ends in a cliche "All was well". *shiver*

3. The UNCEREMONIOUS RUSHED deaths. The only death I actually felt sad for was Dobby's! Apart from that, Hedwig dies and Harry seems to forget about it pretty quickly.

- "Where's Hedwig?"
- "I don't know, can I have lunch?"

Your poor pet owl is dead you idiot! Mad-Eye dies, and we don't exactly know what happened to his body. Fred's death pissed - sorry - fucking pissed me off. It was a rushed unceremonial forgotten death. "oh wow, lyke, fred's dead, lol". Ron cries for a second and voila, the show goes on again! Terrible! And then other important characters die like Lupin and Tonks but there is no sense of "sadness" at all. It's just rushed. It's like Hermione dying out of nowhere and expecting the show to just go on without her with only 1 line of sadness to compensate. Lupin and Tonks are dead, great, now we have more orphans!1 And to make everything more sweet, that's basically the last mention of them you hear. No mention anywhere else. Just a rushed incomplete unceremonious not particularly moving bunch of deaths.

4. Hermione and Ron. We've been expecting them to hook up since Book 3 or something. And all we got was a 2 second forgotten kiss..... ... .... I felt kind of cheated... then they're married in the end.. wow, what a surprise.

5. Harry and his ability to scream out "MY PARENTS ARE DEAD" all the time. Get the fuck over yourself, you stupid wanker. Your father was a stupid horrible arrogant bully and your mother was a pricktease. Deal with it.

6. I was kind of annoyed also that Neville never actually got to avenge his parents' death and kill Bellatrix. That might have been predictable but so fucking what.. Also, we were never explained how he got Gryfindor's sword. Rather, we had to find out THAT in a bloody interview ALSO.

7. We found out nothing about what happened to the Death Eaters. One line was "Death Eaters were rushing out of the country, some would get caught" etc, which is too simple and rushed. Malfoy, the bully for all those years, gets away with it. So do his Death Eater parents! Umbridge goes to Azkaban, whcih we found out in yet ANOTHER INTERVIEW. Jeez, the whole plot usually involved Death Eaters and suddenly, boom, no more mention of them.

8. I never really understood Voldermort's death. He conquers the country, he's planned this for years, and in the end, he dies by a simple backfire spell or something. Cool..... :\

Overall, an annoying as fuck book. It was fun to read in some parts, but it mostly annoyed the hell out of me. To me, it's a completely different book to the first 6 and doesn't compare. It was a horrible ending to a great series and it was a complete and utter anti-climax. And it would help if Americans could fucking guard their books as safe as we do. All those fucking leaks because people were too lax on security. Bloody hell.:burn:
/end rant

hahaha i was laughing out loud when reading that. some good points!

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
Hahahahahaha Jizzy mcfizzle LOL got me in stitches. LOL yeh i have to agree with lachlan 18 it was all way topo rushed ive said it before in this forum but yeh it was like JKR was just getting it over and done with like she got sick of writing. so yeh i dont thinku are the only one disappointed with the rushed plot.

Quote Jizzy Mcfizzle: I've got a crumple-headed snorkack horn for
her...

CLASSIC! lol

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
okay somepeople are very angry....i like it still just because its harry potter but i wish jkr wouldnt have rushed it so much..any hoo complaining is not going to solve anything. And one point that someone made i thought was good is that we had to find out what happened to some characters through interview with JKR thats fucked.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
JUst wanted to say to whoever ponited this "fact" out(cant remember the name of the person) you said that when trelawny in book three refused to sit down due to her superstious assumption that when thirteen sit at a table the first to rise will die.
You said that it was dumbeldore!!! It was harry and Ron! dont know in which order so yeah. just wanted to correct that....By the way i am re reading the books !!!:) Its great!!! But i dont know what i am going to do once i finish all of them again :( i will be so so so so sad!!!Ill have to resort to the horribly made movies!!! :'(

HotShot

-_-
HSC
lisajf said:
JUst wanted to say to whoever ponited this "fact" out(cant remember the name of the person) you said that when trelawny in book three refused to sit down due to her superstious assumption that when thirteen sit at a table the first to rise will die.
You said that it was dumbeldore!!! It was harry and Ron! dont know in which order so yeah. just wanted to correct that....By the way i am re reading the books !!!:) Its great!!! But i dont know what i am going to do once i finish all of them again :( i will be so so so so sad!!!Ill have to resort to the horribly made movies!!! :'(
Trelawny couldnt count remember?

Anyway,

How much of Pedo is Snape? All those detentions with Harry.. that were not explained in the book.. something going on..no doubt about it.. Snape must be banging Harry''s eyes off..

By far, the best characters in the book where the house-elves, she maintained their personality and their nature very well throughout the books. But with everything else she struggled, especially after book 3.

The Goblet of FIre - was basically a book with the ending - oops it was all a dream
Order of Phoenix - had no purpose at all, you could pull that book out of the series and no one would have noticed..

Half-Blood Prince - apart from being a typical chics book, it focused way too much on Voldemort - no one gives a fuck about him, its not like he was a good guy and then suddenly turned bad (like Anakin Skywalker). This guy was born evil lol...

Deathly Hallows - this book assumed we were in some sort of confusion of Snape's allegiance to Dumbledore, but the first book sorted that out, you could tell after reading the philsopher's stone that Snape had been evil in the past, but had changed.

IT would have been better if Lucius Malfoy played this role instead, where you looked into his past - saw him change against Voldemort.. like Regulas only to pulled it off better.

WE already SNape hater Potter and his dad - who gives a fuck why.

Voldemort is made out to look so stupid, that you just wonder why Dumbledore couldnt have finished him off. There is also another discrepancy with prophecy - Dumbledore claims that Neville could have been the 'chosen one' but nowhere is it mentioned that his parents managed to defy the Dark Lord thrice..

Surely if you had a time turner - you could forever always go back in time and look for the horcruxes?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
dude, get the fk out of this thread if you're going to be a synic about every last page of the book. let's see if you can write anything remotely marketable. deep shit.

to the book, i've never realised there are that many fanatics who remember every little details of the book. but all in all i think it was a great story, especially for our generation, because potter pretty much grew with us and we can all relate to him. the fact that jk rowling left us dangling for just a bit more in the book really sums up the series, a real classic.

i remember i started reading the philosopher's stone in year 4, it was so good.

apparently rowling is richer than the queen, with an estimated wealth of 1.4bn pounds? that's crazy.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I finally worked out what I think the underlying problem with the book is: the Elder Wand subplot. I know I've said it came out of nowhere compared to everything else that has been of relevance to the plot - like polyjuice potion, the pensieve and horcurxes to name a few - but I think there's a bigger problem with it.

At the end of Book 6 Harry is reflecting upon how in order to defeat Voldemort, he'll have to commit what is essentially murder (or be murdered himself). But because he has an unbeatable wand, Harry circumvents that little technicality: Voldemort essentially gets himself killed because his curse is reflected back upon him; Harry didn't do anything special.

Essentially, the Elder Wand is designed so that Harry's hands won't be dirtied by spilling Voldemort's blood, thereby keeping him as an ideal hero for kids.

Also, Hot Shot, if you hate the books so much, why do you even read them to begin with?

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
Surely if you had a time turner - you could forever always go back in time and look for the horcruxes?
haha good point, but if Dumbledore had a time turner, the books could have stopped at book 1 as he could have easily just used the time turner to go back and kill Voldermort as an infant, thus saving us the agony of reading Harry's life story.

But Snape being a pedo.. yes I definitely agree with that :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)