HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Didn't the trio find some locket at Black's place in OotP that couldn't be opened? Maybe Regulus IS dead, and this was his final act. After all, the note explicitly states the author expects to die before Voldemort realises the Horcrux has been switched. Yeah, I reckon it is Regulus, however he is still dead and the locket is at Grimmwald Place.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i just rememebered about the headmasters portrait thing and feel happier now knowing he will be back in one form or another :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Agronaut: The Horcrux theory sounds right. It will be interesting to see whether it is indeed a Ravenclaw object or Nagini. If Hufflepuff is represented, I doubt Ravenclaw will be left out. But, Nagini is...well...I admit that option soundsW a lot like him. He does have a certain something for snakes...and Helga Hufflepuff's cup and Ravenclaw's something are...anticlimax? It could be something of Gryffindor's, so right under the "right" side's noses...

White Rabbit: Thats an interesting addition. I had forgotten about the locket at Grimmauld Place. It makes sense. But, still - its Regulus. But, he could be a surprise cookie...

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I miss Dumbledore. This morning when I woke up I was so sad and then I realised how pathetic it was to be mourning over a character in a book. My friend actually said 'The world has lost a great man'.

Snape is evil. He killed Dumbledore. No matter what happens, i'll always hate him for that.

I wonder whats going to happen with the whole Priori Incanteum (spelling?) when Voldemort and Harry fight in the next book.

I think Fawkes is going to do something to help Harry in the next book. His lament was so sad.

jennylim

HSC
i suppose regulus is less smart than say, sirius himself, but what we've heard is just from sirius and he's bound to be a bit biased, isn't he? he just brushed off bellatrix and narcissa - but bellatrix is heaps smart and powerful. so he's my bet for RAB. esp with that locket (p. 108 OotP). on the horcrux subject, a few ppl think harry is one of them, meaning he must be destroyed to destroy voldemort. a bit matrixy i thought, but fair enough. i feel harry is doomed as it is.

haha and there are now SO many theories about the whole snape thing. that he'd arranged it, that he wanted to die, that he didn't want draco to kill him, etc. hmm i think snapey's a bit evil though - especially seeing the look of hatred and revulsion, and knowing from OotP that you can't just do an Unforgiveable, you have to really truly mean it. so he must really truly want dumbledore dead. he may have just done it to save his skin but does that make him any better? :( it's all so upsetting though, i really liked him in OotP and was expecting him to do something fantastic to truly redeem himself. or at least find out what he did that was so fantastic beforehand.

ah but the little romances keep the whole thing happy for me...yeah, i'm a confirmed sap and the harry/ginny completely worked for me (had me dancing and screaming) as did the ron/hermione. and remus/tonks, although that was totally random and seriously fanficcy.

actually..speaking of fanficcy...who else thought the moaning myrtle/draco thing and the crabbe/goyle as girls thing were bloody hilarious?? HAHAHA

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Beckiki_S said:
Relationships
Was happy about Ron and Lavender (because I wanted Harry and Hermione to get together) UNTIL it was obvious that their relationship was shit, and that Hermione was into Ron.
Liked Ginny and Harry after a bit, so excited when they kissed after the quidditch final. Thought Harry should be a gentleman and say something to dean though, they DO live together.
Lupin and Tonks wtf - totally agree it was so fan-fiction. Happy because I like Lupin so i want him to have someone, but to me Tonks' behaviour in the book made her seem like a bit of a red herring.

Death
It just had to be Dumbledore.
At one stage I thought (hopefully), maybe it'll be Snape or Malfoy, but I knew she couldn't resist making a big splash and killing Dumbledore off.
I was so frustrated with the fact that Harry could do nothing but watch.

The Killer
Fuck, I hate Snape.
Always have.
I'm glad everyone KNOWS he's evil now. For once Harry hasn't said something and everyone has gone "you're a liar, you're confudded".
However, it IS a bit far fetched that dumbledore didn't pick up the whole thing. Stupid really.

The Half Blood Prince
This was all really crap.
The whole thing about being good at potions and using the prince's spells was so inconsequential, it was frustrating that this was the title because in anticipation of the book, i expected the half blood prince to be so integral to the story, especially considering the whole Harry/Voldemort commonality of being half-blood.
And I too, almost missed the part where Snape let harry know that he was the HBP.

In General
A bit of a disappointment.
I'm really happy with Harry's portrayal. JK made him a wanker in the last book and just stripped him of everything so it's really nice to see him mature a bit and for her to give him a little bit of pleasure.
The book is not really appropriate for 7 year odls or anything, with the language and themes etc, not that i wouldn't let a 7 year old read it, but yeah, its not so innocent.
Has anyone noticed that JK's new favourite word is "surreptitiously"?
Not much REALLY happened in the book. Apart from Snape killing Dumbledore, book 6 felt like a major filler.
omg...that just echoed EVERYTHING i feel about the book. You're much more eloquent than me in describing it though :p

nuclear chick

HSC
heres a theory courtesy of wikipedia (previously mentioned but in further detail)

There is also the possibility that Snape didn't 'turn bad' after all. He had no choice but to partake an 'Unbreakable Vow' with Narcissa, or else risk being unmasked by Bellatrix. He was thus bound by the vow to protect Draco and finish the task set upon Draco, if Draco failed to do it himself. The hatred mirrored in his face when he killed Dumbledore, was a hate directed at himself for having to do something he never wanted to do, not as Harry thought directed at Dumbledore. Dumbledore pleaded with Snape, but again unlike what Harry thought, he didn't plead for his life, but that Snape would do what was necessary, thus kill him. Dumbledore knew about the Unbreakable Vow and he immobilized Harry, so that there was no way that he would interfere, knowing that the most important thing was Harry's safety (this may also may have been what the argument between Dumbledore and Snape, which Hagrid overheard, was about). Still bound by the vow, Snape takes Draco and his mother, Narcissa, to a safe place and protects them, while he aids Harry, who doesn't know this, to find the last Horcruxes and destroys them. Snape and Harry will meet in Book Seven, and most probably Snape will find his death, possible through Harry, but not before Harry has found out the truth about Snape.

always possible, because I dont think Snape is evil, i mean we were led to believe throughout prisoner of azkaban that Sirius was evil, and it turned out he wasnt.

ishq

brown?
HSC
nuclear chick said:
heres a theory courtesy of wikipedia (previously mentioned but in further detail)

There is also the possibility that Snape didn't 'turn bad' after all. He had no choice but to partake an 'Unbreakable Vow' with Narcissa, or else risk being unmasked by Bellatrix. He was thus bound by the vow to protect Draco and finish the task set upon Draco, if Draco failed to do it himself. The hatred mirrored in his face when he killed Dumbledore, was a hate directed at himself for having to do something he never wanted to do, not as Harry thought directed at Dumbledore. Dumbledore pleaded with Snape, but again unlike what Harry thought, he didn't plead for his life, but that Snape would do what was necessary, thus kill him. Dumbledore knew about the Unbreakable Vow and he immobilized Harry, so that there was no way that he would interfere, knowing that the most important thing was Harry's safety (this may also may have been what the argument between Dumbledore and Snape, which Hagrid overheard, was about). Still bound by the vow, Snape takes Draco and his mother, Narcissa, to a safe place and protects them, while he aids Harry, who doesn't know this, to find the last Horcruxes and destroys them. Snape and Harry will meet in Book Seven, and most probably Snape will find his death, possible through Harry, but not before Harry has found out the truth about Snape.

always possible, because I dont think Snape is evil, i mean we were led to believe throughout prisoner of azkaban that Sirius was evil, and it turned out he wasnt.
Yeah, that is basically echoing some of the theories going on here.
I want to know what the 'Last Fight' will be like. A duel? A punching match? A verbal fight? In Godric's Hollow, most probably. Harry already hinted that.
End it where it began.
Perfect.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
bluesky100 said:
WARNING Massive spoiler DO NOT click if you don't want to find out who dies!!!

Yes, Snape kills Dumbledore . That's all I know, I don't know how he kills Dumbledore - I read a few pages towards the end to find out .... I hate surprises!!
wtf fuck Harry and
GINNY? GINNY? alright so we all know Rowling based it on her own daughter, so of course Ginny gets the hot wand wielding Quidditch playing glasses wearing hunky hunk hunk. But I wanted Cho to get with Harry, I really did. *sob. Azn chicks are the go. though, cho's name is funny because it's half chinese half japanese (half chinese at any rate apparently cho means butterfly)

rumour

HSC
I have not read the book yet, so I was wondering if this book is better than book five?

stainmepink

HSC
rumour said:
I have not read the book yet, so I was wondering if this book is better than book five?

in all truth it is actually. Book 5 bored me a little with all the ministry crap happening.

rumour

HSC
gobaby said:
in all truth it is actually. Book 5 bored me a little with all the ministry crap happening.
Harry really pissed me off, he was so annoying:mad:. I hope he acts better in this book.

klh

HSC
i reckon its a bit too short and that it was very jumbled, like toom much stuff in such a quick little book. ofcourse that may be becoz i read it at a faster than normal rate, i mean i took everyhting in i read i hope.
liek i sad in another thread, i shouldntve looked back at the alst chapter to know who dies but then i read cherryblossoms spoiler...i feel so stupid for reading it and sad that that happened.

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to read ‘The Great Gatsby’ before reading the latest ‘installment’ in the Harry Potter series. At anyrate, I can see which book will be remembered in ten, twenty years.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
edit: okay, forget about the spoiler tags. see first post.

just some random things

re:
priori incantatem - that's probably why they took ollivander, isn't it?

raiks's spoiler - (a photo of one of the pages of the book). miss gtr: i asked, or rather, i abused him about it, and he said that his friend who worked in a book publishing company sent it to him.

half-blood prince - did harry even stop to think that the HBP might've been voldemort? (yes, even though we've always been told that it wouldn't be him) i mean, 50 years old - riddle's diary was also 50 years old... and he never even thought about the fact that snape is obviously brilliant at potions.

aberforth dumbledore - was that him at the funeral? i mean, he must've gone to the funeral, right?

the portrait - in answer to someone's question some pages ago, yes his portrait is up in the headmaster's office already. this brings me some comfort, as harry can surely go back to hogwarts for advice from "dumbledore"? and as he said in OoTP, the most celebrated heads have their portraits in other important institutions... would dumbly's be in the ministry? probably not. hmmm.

rumour - yes, better than book 5. PMS harry is gone, he's quite mature in this book.

young voldemort - disturbed me. especially the bit about luring the two orphans in the cave.
i was so sad though, when he re-visited hogwarts as an adult...
"This is your final word?"
"It is, " said Dumbledore, also standing.
"Then we have nothing more to say to each other."
"No, nothing," said Dumbledore, and a great sadness filled his face. "The time is long gone when I could frighten you with a burning wardrobe and force you to make repayment for your crimes. But I wish I could, Tom ... I wish I could..."
:(

Last edited:

jennylim

HSC
cherryblossom said:
wtf fuck Harry and
GINNY? GINNY? alright so we all know Rowling based it on her own daughter, so of course Ginny gets the hot wand wielding Quidditch playing glasses wearing hunky hunk hunk. But I wanted Cho to get with Harry, I really did. *sob. Azn chicks are the go. though, cho's name is funny because it's half chinese half japanese (half chinese at any rate apparently cho means butterfly)
you wanted harry and cho??? now i'm asian too, but cho was pissing me off like crazy in bk 5!!!!! she kept crying and being so self-absorbed and jealous...noo harry needs someone cheerful who makes him happy!! and who he can talk to and who understands him without nagging him (cutting out hermione lol). so i'm very very happy with
harry and ginny
...don't know why i'm bothering with these haha.

oh and on the note of OotP being too political, i reckon! i mean i quite liked it but there was all that stuff about the media and people hearing what they want to hear and so on. there was something slightly political in HBP tho...2nd sentence of the whole book. hehe, a british prime minister waiting and waiting for a president to call :rolleyes: i thought that was quite clever actually.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
jennylim said:
you wanted harry and cho??? now i'm asian too, but cho was pissing me off like crazy in bk 5!!!!! she kept crying and being so self-absorbed and jealous...noo harry needs someone cheerful who makes him happy!! and who he can talk to and who understands him without nagging him (cutting out hermione lol). so i'm very very happy with
harry and ginny
...don't know why i'm bothering with these haha.

oh and on the note of OotP being too political, i reckon! i mean i quite liked it but there was all that stuff about the media and people hearing what they want to hear and so on. there was something slightly political in HBP tho...2nd sentence of the whole book. hehe, a british prime minister waiting and waiting for a president to call :rolleyes: i thought that was quite clever actually.
Youve read it already Jenny? I dont know whether to be proud or shocked

wanderlust

HSC
Hmm....its unlikely that Snape is not evil but isn't it possible that he only killed Dumbledore to save himself? Because didn't he have the unbreakable thing to protect draco and if he broke it he would die? So, in that case maybe he could see that Draco could not fulfill his duties and knew that draco would be punished, hence, he would die so he killed him. It was pretty obvious that even if snape didn't kill dumbledore somebody else would have done the same thing, and by doing this it keeps voldemort happy with snape.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Argonaut said:
I finsihe dit about this time yesterday. Would have finishied it earlier, but work got in the way. I know Nashie almost finished it the day it got released - tells me he went a few minutes past midnight.
Yes. But I know Jenny. So it makes it totally different. Besides she's read all of the books before I have. I havent even decided if I'm going to buy it yet :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)